1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC-WB68 Placement Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HDTVFanAtic, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    I have gone back and forth on this 3 times today in my mind - and figured I will at least throw it out for other comments.

Let's say you have a WB68 and 6 connections for 2 HR20 and 2 H20 (actually, this isn't important....but for example).

Could you place 4 BBCs on the INPUT of the WB68 between the WB68 and the AT/9/AU9 and thus eliminate the need for them on each individual feed to the H20/HR20 series?

Everytime I think I have decided in my mind, I think of another reason to change my mind about 30 minutes later.

It would probably be easier to try it, but I only have 3 BBCs at the moment.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No. They need to be connected to the receiver's. I don't remember the answer DIRECTV gave but they said they did need to be connected to the receiver's.

3. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    I understand that, but in theory they would be connected to the receivers if they are connected on the input of the WB68, which I why I am trying to get a definitive answer as to yes or no - and I guess why for my curiosity.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since the Ka-lo signal are split between the WB68 inputs, you would need to have all four inputs with BBCs [first off], then there is the question about the signal sent to the BBC to tell it to switch [how strong is it]. D* still states that the BBC should be close to the receiver if not mounted on the receiver. How far would be too far is yet to be determined since there are no Ka-lo signals to test with.

5. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Okay, here goes DirecTV dbs dish operation 101; I'll take it slow so I don't make a major mistake, and it's simple to follow:

The 4 outputs (and correspondingly the inputs of the multiswitch), are:

1. 13v/0khz = 101/99 ODD

2. 18v/0khz = 101/00 EVEN

3. 13v/22khz = 119/103 ODD

4. 18v/22khz = 119/110/103 EVEN

Bands off satellite LNB =

Ka/A = 1650-2150

Ku = 950-1450

Ka/B = 250-750

The purpose of the BBC is to frequency convert those 250-750 Ka/B-Band signals to the Ku (or Ka/A) range so the receiver can process them (the RF section of the H20/H21/HR20 are 950-2150 ONLY.

The Multiswitch is NOT a 'bi-directional' device, i.e., any signals from the receivers are processed ONLY to 'select' the proper 'band' ( and sat) it wants, Ka/A, Ku, or Ka/B, 99/101/103/110/119.

The BBC needs to 'see' the control signals to either pass the RF unimpeded, or convert the 250-750 upwards. Again, those control signals don't go 'through' the multiswitch, they end there since the box ISN'T bi-directional (one way signal path only).

Now, there's been much speculation on just 'where' in the cable path the BBC can be, other than on the back of the receiver, to allow diplexed OTA (which is in the 250-750 band) to be routed on one cable to the receiver, by putting it 'outside' the diplex path. We will hopefully soon see if that is possible, when D10 gets active. Of course, the SWM converts everything (the 5 or 8 'selected' channels of course) to a small slice of the Ku/DBS band, which is in the 950+ area, far above OTA, which allows folks to diplexed in OTA without any problems, and of course the SWM does the B-Band conversion as well, meaning the BBC's go in the desk drawer for a good laugh in years to come.

Hey, did I get it all right.... looks like it. There you are. Yet more 'fun with microwave!' :)

6. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    HDTVFanAtic,

The simple solution is to log onto directv.com/bbc and order three more. They send them free, they don't charge for them. You could even get a couple of extras 'just in case'. Then connect one to each of the sat inputs on your receivers/DVRs.

I ordered some this past week and they were there within two days. Very simple.

7. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    I'll have another receiver next week - and 5 BBCs, so that's not the issue.

It just seems that it would be much easier to only worry about 4 on the input of the WB68.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That should be 101/99 EVEN, of course.

9. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005

Yes, I understand everything you are saying in terms of layout - and probably would have done better to map it out myself earlier this afternoon to think about it.

I suppose another way to look at it would be if the BBC was on the WB68 input, you could only get Ka/A or Ka/B from that feed to the multiswitch - not both, thus eliminating half of the potential Ka side - which makes total sense in retrospect.

Thanks.

10. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Sorry, too many idiots have been spamming me and filling the mailbox - and others are messaging me wanting information on signals without being jumped by the Moonies in a threade. Combine that with Mods telling me how many infractions I have collected this week - it's filling up faster than I can clean it out :(

As I've told the mods, just like Popeye, I am what I am, and that will never change, so, if they would quit sending me a notice about another infraction, the box wouldn't fill up as fast!

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    You just need to be more of a jerk in the forums. I only get occasional PMs from the regulars here, very rarely do I get the morons who think they are so special that I need to give their problem my personal attention. I think my posting style and angry avatar scare them away. :lol:

12. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Instead of putting them on the WB68's SAT Inputs, how about putting them on the SAT Outputs? In other words the setup would be like this:

Dish>Coax from Dish to WB68>WB68>BBC>Coax from BBC to HR20>HR20

That way I do not need to take my rack apart to get to the receiver to swap them out and it will take up less room behind the receiver. Is that possible? It seems to me like it should work. The BBC is just further away from the receiver. Just a thought.

13. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That was suggested shortly after the HD receivers came out. It appears to work, but since there is so far no Ka-low to test, nobody knows how it will actually perform (i.e., how far from the receiver is acceptable). If you do that, don't connect the cable end of the BBC to the WB68, but the other end (with a short piece of cable).

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You could try this with a coax jumper & a barrel for the other end, since the BBC is directional. You still may have problems as this may be too far from the receiver [as posted here before].

15. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    You obviously haven't read my posts:rolleyes:

16. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    :)

17. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Hmmm. Your inbox is filled with infraction notices, and the problem is not you, it's the mods ?

OK.

On subject - I was going to do the way upstream BBC mod to diplex my OTA, but in the end, after much head scratching and too much whining, I ended up hiring out new runs. I just didn't want to chance there being strange issues.

18. crazyick

crazyick AllStar

Sep 24, 2006

I just did that for the same reasons (didn’t want or was unable to locate the BBC’s on the back side of my receivers). The three box’s I did this have so far passed the BBC test. Hopefully, when the sat goes live this solution will still work. The longest distance between the BBC’s and receivers is approximately 50 feet.

The method I used to do this is the same as posted by VOS. I made some small RG6 jumpers and with some barrels it was an easy install to do.

19. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I thought about this last night, and (the repressed, I'm retired, engineer in me came out for a late snack!) IF someone at Zinwell would put the BBC circuitry in a new multiswtich, then it 'may' work there. But as folks have pointed out, the 'trip' signals from the receiver(s) perhaps don't go that far (x feet, my multiswtich is a good 80-130' from the receivers) but then they have all the specs since the BBC's are built by Zinwell (at least the one that was removed from a system 'suspected bad' on my desk is, as are the ones in my systems).

I think it's basically a moot issue at this point, as the SWM is expected to put all the discussion to rest, both the BBC location issue, the OTA diplexer issue, and any other Ka/B-band (and satellite distribution) issues. But, of course, it has to get into the hands of the masses; would have been 'nice' to have it roll out about a couple months ago, in quantity, at the usual distributors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.