Became a new directv subscriber on Monday, several questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by centil628, Nov 16, 2011.

1. centil628

centil628 Cool Member

Nov 4, 2011
    I just became a new directv customer on Monday, my equipment consists of 2 - hr24's, and 2- h24 receivers. I have a couple of questions.

1. Mediashare - I am connected to my network, I can see my computer folders, but when I access MPEG 4 files, mediashare will not play them. What am I doing wrong, I read several threads where this process was still in the beta mode (threads were a little old). What are others doing to get it to work properly?

2. I notice on my hd receivers, I can chose which dvr I record to, but on the actual dvr's I cannot. Am I missing something or is that just the way it is. I could move the dvr's to rooms we don't use as much, then use the hd receivers where we watch tv the most. But then I wouldn't be able to "go back" on live tv shows.

Besides that I am pretty well pleased. (Well I would of liked the hr34's but that is a different story).

Thanks for all of the forum's help.

Bill

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't use mediashare, but also don't think it handles MPEG-4.

The HD receivers give you the option to select DVRs, but the DVRs don't.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    will only display .jpg & play mp3 , you can use a third party software to view video (others ) have and I'm sure will post info, Welcome to D* & DBS

4. bhuber

bhuber Legend

Sep 13, 2004
    Wilton, IA
    I was never able to get MPEG-4 to work either, so I converted everything to MPEG-2

5. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    Media share will only play a limited number of video formats and as noted by others, mpeg4 is not one of them. You can convert your videos to a compatible format or use a media server on your computer that will transcode the videos. One of the most popular and one that definitely works with media share is tversity.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    First, welcome! If you want to "go back" on your H24s, just record the show to one of your DVRs. Then you can go back, forward or pause. Delete when done.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    2.) You've got it figured. For anything you think you might want to review or pause, you learn to hit Record on the non-DVRs. Works for many; others find it too big an obstacle.

1.) I wouldn't spend a lot of time with Media Share, and not just because I am a Mac guy. Others have a lot more knowledge, but it seems that this isn't getting a lot of attention now, with new products being introduced, such as the HR34, nomad, H25, iPad, phone and Mac apps, and a HD GUI in the recent past.

8. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    centil for media share the best sharing software is an old version of tversity...ver 1.7.4.1...its a free download