1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedroom remote changes den receiver sometimes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 105437, Dec 31, 2011.

1. 105437

105437 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 31, 2011
    I have a HR24-500 in my den and a H24-700 in my bedroom. Both setups are using Harmony 700 remotes. The problem is that both use IR and the bedroom remote will change the den receiver when someone is in the bedroom watching TV. Since the Harmony doesn't support RF I can't make one IR and the other RF. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Each receiver has 8 IR codesets to chose from, now they are both set to default codeset 00001, leave set to it, and chose another between 00002 through 00008. check in the menu under remote:

3. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Will I still be able to use my Harmony remotes with this setup? Thanks for the reply.

I actually posted the original question but that account was disabled because I already had one.

4. Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    Yes you will BUT you will have to manually program the harmony for the 0002 codeset since all harmonys database has is the 0001 sets. So once you've changed it on the box and the directv remote go take the directv remote and teach the harmony all the commands for the 0002 set.

Though its very odd you have IR controlling a tv in another room....without line of sight they shouldn't control one another.

5. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks for the replies... Sounds like it's doable. I'll need to do it since the bedroom has line of sight if the remote is pointed just right.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Actually he shouldn't have to teach it all the commands. The Harmony software should have all 8 codesets in the database already. It will just ask him to hit a few buttons so it can compare those commands to the 8 codesets in the database to determine which one he is using. Once it verifies which codeset he is using it will map all commands to that codeset. He should only have to hit 3-5 buttons to get it figured out.

At least that has been my experience with My Harmony 880 and One's. I suppose with the new software that comes with the 700's it might be more painful. I don't like that software though, so I continue to use the old software instead.

7. Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    Had to do them all on my harmony 890Pro here.

Regardless it can be done one way or another.