1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been a DirecTV customer for about a week, came from Dish, and LOVE it!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HX_Guy, Sep 14, 2011.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Very happy I made the switch...and for several reasons. The main one was to cut down on the monthly cost...I was paying $72/month with Dish and now Im paying $41/month...plus have all the premium channels for 3 months, NFL Sunday Ticket for a year, and receivers in two rooms (only had one before) so its win all around there.

Picture quality wise, it's noticeably better. Colors seem better and HD just looks crisper.

My favorite change between the two has to be the DVR. I got the HR24/200 and had the Dish 722k before. The HR24 does EVERYTHING better. I love how it asks you is you want to delete the program you've just watched at the end. The Smart Search is fantastic and the fact that you can use the number pad on the remote to type out letters is great. Love how easy it is to turn on Closed Caption...on Dish you and to dive into one menu after another. Love that there is a button that takes you to the DVR recordings with just one press. Managing recordings is a lot easier, much easier to delete shows or to reorganize their priority. Finally, it's completely awesome that the DVR remembers if you're recorded a show, watched it, and deleted it, so that it doesn't record it again later (even if you have it setup to record reruns). Dish would always re-record shows even if I had already watched and deleted them.

Had to call customer service a couple times for some programming changes and it went very well, no long wait and the reps were very helpful.

I do have three gripes about it that if fixed in the future, it really would make it perfect. First, no BBC HD and no E! HD. My wife and I watched those quite a bit and I hate watching anything in SD. Finally, would love if it had a quick way to show you if an episode was new (vs rerun). Ou can press Info and then More Info to see the original air date but Dish showed you a "New" icon for new shows.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Welcome!

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Nice! Welcome!

Do know that eventually the unit will record your shows again if you leave it set to reruns as well. It waits at least 30 days or till another 999 items have been logged into the history of being deleted, whichever comes first.

4. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Its surprising to hear that you prefer the HR24 to the Dish 722. Most Dish subscribers that switch usually talk about how much better the Dish DVR's are. Hopefully the HR series DVR's will be even better after the HD GUI is released. Not only will the menus look better, its supposed to enhance the performance.

5. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Dish DVRs are better in some ways, especially quicker response and better stability, but having switched to Dish from D*, I agree with everything the OP said. There are lots of things about D* DVRs that I miss: quick tune, bookmarks, skip to tick, prompt to delete, fewer button presses to set recordings, more program details, more powerful search, easily view upcoming, easily view schedule for a single channel, RS232 control, IP control, CE, etc. If D* had Dish's 3 hr x 7 channel guide view, detailed timer management and ability to record on both OTA tuners and both Sat tuners all at once, it would be close to perfect IMO.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I do wonder, and this is an honest question, but how much of the speed and stability is due to the boxes rebooting nightly? Dish still does that I'm assuming.

I know not all of it could be due to that, but isn't unreasonable that a lot of the stability is.

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Yes they do. I think you're exactly right. The nightly reboot probably heads off a lot of stability issues. It's a band aid of course, but it works.

8. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    HX_Guy I've used dish remotes and the number keypads do letters too. Working from memory in search for example pressing 2 once gets you "a" pressing 2 twice gets you "b" and pressing 3 three times gets you "f", If you were using the onscreen keyboard then you were doing it the same way.

If a bandaid keeps blood from running down my arm I'm all for it.

Hmmm. Rebooting is a bandaid? If it keeps everything humming along I'd say it is a good design feature. It probably clears memory and so on. The guide gets a fresh download that can have timers checked against it right then. Maybe that is why the Dish VIP series was faster than the HRxx series HD DVR, Not so much background processing needed?

I'm waiting for the HR34 & the dish version to do a comparison, then We'll see. I'd love to see 4 to 6 tuners in one DVR. I could go with the Dish box and their dual OTA tuner and more or less be there after paying someone to go on the roof and install an antenna.

For now I'm staying dual tuner HD DVR and a single tuner HDD DVD Recorder hooked to basic cable.

9. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Hmm, never knew that Dish worked the same way.

What about the "live search"...I don't think Dish has that, correct? As in, as you type, it already starts to pull up the results.

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I assume their reboot is faster than the HR2x's or that would be very annoying.

11. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Well designed code should do house keeping on the memory, guide and timers on the fly without shutting down the whole system every day. Neither Dish nor DirecTV has quite figured out how to do that yet. Maybe it's impossible. So the band aid is fine with me too.

Right, no live search either, or youtube or apps or local on the 8s or mix channels (well Dish has one mix channel and a slow clunky weather app).

It's pretty slow too. But I've never witnessed the one that happens in the wee hours, so it hasn't become an annoyance yet.

12. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm not a fan of cluttering up a DVR with apps. For me a DVR should do one thing well.

I have a WD live hub media player for everything else dealing with video & music on my TV excluding DVDs and BluRay. It has Netflix, Blockbuster, HuluPlus, YouTube, etc. As well as a 1Tb internal and two 2Tb external drives and works with NAS devices.

I have a BluRay player for DVDs and BluRay discs.

I have a computer for internet hooked up to the TV set. Despite a computer on the TV I would never think of playing Videos on it when the BluRay player and WD media player do so much better for that.

The YouTube app is useless as I hit way to many with TV restrictions.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Guess that works for most people but I am up at different hours every night and wouldn't want to see my dvr reboot when I woke up. (I have odd sleeping habits.)

Also, with the DirecTV DVRs, it would drive me NUTS to see the big glowing blue light! LOL!

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I just came from Dish and don't disagree with the OP in any major way. Overall I think Dish's 722k is a better HDDVR, but with the HR24 the differences are shrunk quite a ways.

Overall I like certain things on each service a lot and miss them when I do a switch. I like auto tune, PIP and a few other odds and ends I got with Dish, especially some of the fine control of recording.

With D*, the search (especially live search) is superb and was one of the things I was really looking forward to when I switched back to D* this time.

As to HD PQ, well to each his own I suppose. I think D* and E* have different HD by a small amount, but with sports in HD, the difference is much more noticeable. I suspect that D* is giving sports a bit more bandwidth to stuff a few more pixels through.

15. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Its only noticeably longer if the DVR starts downloading a software update that it hasnt received yet.
    Other then that its just the usual signal acquisition and guide download.

16. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    That's interesting that the Dish DVR's do a nighly reboot; obviously this is a D* forum, but I wonder if anyone has heard whether Dish has an official statement on the rational? I suspect those mentioning stability, etc are correct, but I would think a daily reboot is a bit of overkill (weekly maybe?)

I often watch Tv at odd hours due to my work schedule, so what happens if you're currently watching? There's also occasions (freeview weekends) where I'll record movies all night long; how would the DVR handle that?

17. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    ew that would suck. They must be running DOS on those things to require that.:):)

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    From what I understand, it pretty much started with their 921 receiver, was extremely buggy, and they also found users were way behind on updates. Dish still does it, though it won't interrupt a recording or use to do it.

19. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Grrrrr.

20. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Nightly ensures that you have a fresh guide, so that customers wont run into a guide that states no info after a few hours and just be told to unplug the receiver and download the guide.

If your up during the time the reboot/update process begins you will get a pop up asking you if you like would like to cancel the reboot or allow it to happen.
    You can also change the time it does the daily reboot through the menus.

And lastly DVR events take priority over the reboot.