1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been awhile and I could use some advice.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ray3, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Ray3

Ray3 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Hi, been quite awhile since my last visit. I used to keep up with the site avidly, but retirement occurred and life got in the way. Based on previous help, I thought I would go to this great info & help well again.

I have actually been thinking about upgrading for quite a while, but my hand has been forced. One of my 2 HR24s just bit the dust. Dead. Doesn't work. I have tried to make sense of the hardware, but it is a bit confusing and I am in a no TV zone. I am reaching out for recommendations as to what I need for new equipment/upgrade.

I currently have 2 HR24s (one dead), both do recording and I have the Whole House plan. Nothing complex. I am a 22 year customer, grandfathered on Choice XTRA Classic with the HD package. I also plan to cut back on some programming.

Anyhow, my questions:
    1) What equipment do I need to replace the two HR24s so I can hook up 2 TVs and record on both (and see either recording device from both TVs).
    2) Are the replacements self-installable?
    3) What is the chance of a free upgrade? BTW, I do NOT have a Protection Package.
    4) Both TVs are 4K that upconvert HD signals. Do I really need 4K receiver(s)?
    5) What else should I be asking about?

Thanks for reading this. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Call and tell them your 24 died. They will send you a replacement. Without protection plan you'll probably be charged $20 for shipping. No contract extension for a replacement.

Then you can take your time to study whether you want to upgrade to 4K.

Many here say there isn't enough 4K programming to make it worthwhile.

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. Howie

Howie Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm getting upgraded from an HR44 and HR24 and 1 mini to an HS17 server and 3 minis (1 4k) on Friday. At least some consider it an upgrade. Anyway, it's free. I, too, have been a customer over 20 years.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Question 1: Your equipment choices depend on your needs... Question 2: Go with a service call... Question 3: Ask DIRECTV if you can get a free upgrade... Question 4: Depends on what your looking for. DIRECTV has three 4K channels. Channel 104 broadcasts human interest videos in 4K. Channel 105 broadcasts PPV in 4K. Channel 106 broadcasts special events (concerts, sports, ect.) in 4K. If you decide to upgrade to 4K you have two ways to go, the HR54 or the HS17. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive. It can be connected to a TV. It works with receivers, DVRs, and clients. It works with one 4K client at once. The HS17 is a headless server. It has a 2 TB Hard Drive. It cannot be connected to a TV and only works with clients. It works with two 4K clients at once. Both the HR54 and HS17 do not provide 4K service by themselves. They need to be connected to either a 4K RVU HDTV or a C61K-700 client. I would go with the C61K-700 client because support lasts longer than if you use a 4K RVU HDTV. Your LNB will be upgraded to a Reverse Band LNB for future proofing.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Keep in mind that if you take any free upgrade offer you will get a two year contract extension, though you are probably fine with that if you have been with Directv for 22 years!

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think one of the two following options is what you should choose.
    1. If you want 4K, then go with the HS17 and two clients.
    2. If 4K is not important now, go with a replacement HR24.
    And also, depending on what DirecTV is willing to do for you (without cost).

There is much discussion here about the pros and cons of the HS17. While not perfect (no DirecTV equipment is, ditto Dish, ditto cable), the issues people observe also exist on the HR44 and HR54 because they are software, not hardware related. I've got an HS17 and my wife and I are happy with it. Some also argue about it being a single point of failure (which is true), but so is the dish/LNB. You can't avoid a single point of failure without multiple dishes and multiple DVRs.

horace clark likes this.
  7. Ray3

Ray3 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    This is quite an answer. Lots of detail. Thanks very much.

8. Ray3

Ray3 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    To all - thank you for taking the time to provide me with this great input. I need to do some additional research on the equipment to understand the comments. I also want to compare the current packages to the (grandfathered) Choice Xtra Classic that I have vs. something less expensive.

9. Ray3

Ray3 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Armed with the current offerings from Dish, Spectrum and DirecTV plus some cord-cutting numbers, I just finished a call to the Loyalty Department.

Called & explained (more eloquently and pleasantly than this) that I was looking at alternatives because 1) my bill was too high, 2) that one of my receivers just died (and both of mine are 7 years old), 3) I was a 22 year customer. With the receiver having suddenly died, I was forced to move on this earlier than expected, so I thought I would call DTV to see what was available to see if I could avoid having to switch. Gave detail about Dish and Spectrum offers.

The young lady was delightful and here are some very pleasant surprises that resulted. Here is the detail where I ended up:

$450 >> Upgrade: HR54 ($299) + C61K ($99) + 7SWM (LNB) install ($50) ALL WAIVED
    $720 >> $60 Credit on bill for the next 12 mos
    $293 >> NFL Sunday Ticket for remainder of 2018 FREE
    $35 >> Activation Fee WAIVED
    $72 >> 4 mos (17.99/mo) of Showtime FREE
    $1570 Total Savings (I didn't do a prorata NFL ST number)

She had explained that she wasn't recommending the HS17 because it was still pretty buggy. She also suggested calling back when the 4 mos. Showtime expired and after the $60/mo credits expired to see what was available to replace them. I also dropped the HD Xtra Pack (4.99/mo) and the Regional SPorts Package (7.49/mo.). For the next 12 mos, based on all of the above, my bill drops to $139/mo from $63/mo.

I also have a new 2 year commitment, but I am OK with that.

Thanks to the input received in the posts above - very helpful in organizing for the conversation.

10. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    spectrum sucks there's no 21st century harware you'll either get a dual tuner box or a 4 tuner box known as there world box wich is a POS. customer service is shit theres no 4k. dvr keeps freezing when trying to access the dvr. go onto there forum and you'll see all of the pissed off people

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    don't fall into the count of fictional money trap; it's just numbers on a paper, excluding what you'll pay after the promos will end from your packet;
    especially "free" channels offer

eventually YOU will pay for the equipment, cover all the "waived" fee, etc :(

12. Ray3

Ray3 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Yeah, I get that. But that's the case either way, so I would rather have the version where they don't charge me the $1,570 they would have otherwise charged.