1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I haven't had an alcoholic beverage in over 15 years and I'd really like to sit down with a few cool brews and just suck them up. But, that would be a mistake and I know better. Still doesn't stop the urges from coming.

I'll do the next best thing and ask you what your beer/s of choice is/are. Then I'll sit here and vicariously enjoy myself.

Rich

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Beer free since 86.

Have had a few St. Pauli Girl NAs. It's not the same, but having old friends around when I do is good enough. And I let them drink what ever they want.

3. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Blue moon and Sam Adams are my common Beers but I like to try micro brews when I can.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Anchor Steam is my favorite, but Sam Adams, Heineken and Fat Tire are also good. I avoid anything labeled "Light" and pretty much stay away from the big three -- Budweiser, Miller, and Coor's.

When I was in the army stationed in Germany in the 50's I really liked Dinkelacher. A German restaurant in Santa Monica used to carry the brand but it closed a few years ago.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Once I retired, I lost my excuse to drink. Still got beer in my fridge from my last train commute. And that was in '96.

Back in my youth, I could do over a case and not get stupid drunk -- just a nice buzz. Now if I have just one beer, I'm almost blitz.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I enjoy Dundee Honey Brown Lager.

7. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Had to check the fridges to see what I had Corona Extra.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Cheap beer. Currently, Miluakee's Best Light. Drink more, spend less.

9. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    My favorite is Fat Tire but I am always willing to experiment. When New Belgium does one of their Folly Packs (2 each of 6 different brews) I have to get one. However when money becomes an issue it goes to Bud as a case is only a few dollars more than a 12 pack of Fat Tire

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Yes, I love a lot of the specialty beers, but $13.00 a 6 pack vs. $7.00 for a 12 pack?

11. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Wow, your prices are extreme both ways. I pay $9 for a 6pack or $17 for a 12 pack of Fat Tire and around $20 for a case of Bud

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I haven't been much of a beer drinker for quite a while, but it wasn't for any particular reason - just no reason to want to drink . It especially went down when I got my Type 2 diabetes diagnoses in May this year - I don't think I've had any alcohol (drinking wise) since. In the past - I used to brew my own - a real good Honey porter was my favorite. I generally avoid the American mas produced stuff, preferring Sam Adams when I want one before / with a meal, but almost any microbrewed beats just about any mass produced.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    All I've got is root beer. My wife on the other hand really likes Left Hand milk stout and nitro, among others.

14. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Houston and Texas have had tremendous growth of micro brews so I try to buy local. Currently have in the fridge:

Ridgeback from No Label Brewing
    Texas Lightning IPA from Fort Bend Brewing
    Hopadillo IPA from Karbach Brewing
    Ugly Pug Black Lager from Rahr & Sons
    Buried Hatchet Stout from Southern Star Brewing
    Full Sail IPA (not local but yummy)

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Not much of a beer drinker myself, but in the past I've enjoyed Beck's Light, Amstel, Goldfassel (sp?) and the Bud family. If I have a beer these days, it's likely to be a Busch light (especially the draft version). If I consume alcohol, it's going to be either wine (especially Columbia Crest H3 Cab) or bourbon (favorite is a tossup between Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey 101).

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I've tried a few non-alcoholic beers and they're just not worth buying. Reminds me of the "Near Beer" we used to buy as kids. My ship was home-ported in Norfolk, VA and all we could buy in the bars in town was 3.2 beer. You want to taste terrible beer, try a bottle of 3.2 if you can find one.

The best of the 3.2 beers...Carling's Black Label, or so we thought. A beer in its normal form that I found undrinkable, but in its 3.2 form...simply the best. Took a lot of that crap to get loaded.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I remember Dinkelacher, we called it Dinky Lager. Heineken for a nickel a bottle at Gitmo. I've never tried Anchor Steam, but I've heard good things about it.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thing with me is, I can't drink one beer. I'm afraid if I had one I'd be right back to drinking a case at a time. Same thing with butts. If I smoked one, I'd be smoking 3 packs a day very quickly.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Local beer, never heard of that one?

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can remember my first experience with Corona. Gave me gas. Upset my stomach. Most terrible part: I really liked it. My body just would not tolerate it.

Rich