BeIN Sports

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mws192, Aug 28, 2018.

1. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    From the beIN website ...
    Latest Stories
    Why Is beIN SPORTS No Longer On AT&T U-verse / DIRECTV? August 28, 2018 5:00 PM
    Why Is beIN SPORTS No Longer on Fios? August 7, 2018 5:44 PM
    Why Is beIN SPORTS No Longer on Xfinity? August 1, 2018 5:04 PM

3. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I think it’s back on fios.

dtv757 likes this.
  4. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    It is they reached an agreement with Verizon FiOS on better coverage. Before beIN Sports was only available in their Extreme and Ultimate HD traditional base packages. beIN Sports en Español was only available on Fios TV Mundo Total.

Now beIN Sports has been added to their lower Preferred HD and is an add-on option to their Fios TV Local, Spanish & Custom TV packages. beIN Sports en Español has been added to TV Mundo and now can be added to all remaining packages (Preferred HD, Fios TV Local & Custom TV) as an add-on according to their website and a Buffalo, NY zipcode.

So this would mean they would want D*, Xfinity and potentially all other providers that currently have it regulated to a "Sports Tier" and/or high base package would need to do something similar. This also means other providers like Dish won't be immune for long since they have beIN Sports on AT250 and their Multi-Sports Pack.

So based on what I have taken from Verizon's website and a 2017 FiOS TV channel lineup I won't expect beIN Sports back on D* unless D*/Death Star agree to at least Choice or Xtra placement (Xtra being the minimum I think beIN Sports would take) but they would also want a similar U-Verse placement (which I think would be their U-200 package I believe) .

5. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I saw bein sports just had a dispute with
    Fios and comcast. So I'm sure it will be back soon.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

6. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    It’s back on Fios and in a lower tier. It’s not back on Comcast.

BeIn’s twitter account is stating that they want similar rates but a wider tier, which is backed up with what happened with Fios and with their complaint with Comcast (that they lost).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    daniloni and dtv757 like this.
  7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Sure they want "similar rates but a wider tier" because if they have 2x the subscribers at the same price they make twice as much money as they did before. Directv and Comcast don't want to pay twice (or whatever it works out as depending on the tiers) what they did before when they aren't going to make any more from customers. They might even make less, if there are some customers who only got a top tier package because that's what was required for BeIN.

8. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    This sucks. I watch beIN more than perhaps any other sports channel on D*. Hope there's a resolution soon.

9. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    This is a necessary channel for a lot of people. A lot of people get the sports pack just to have this channel. I understand both parties’ positions but at the same time if it’s off DirecTV completely, many will cancel. You’d think if fios came to an agreement, directv would too, as it advertises more to the soccer nuts and Latino community, and has more soccer offerings.

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    BeIN wants to be in a basic pack and not sports pack.

11. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Has anybody read the Directv response on Directvpromises.com, it reads as if Directv is done negotiating, the channel is dropped because they are asking for too much $ and not broadcasting enough matches, oh well I guess I won't be able to watch Mario Balotelli as BeIN is the only network that carries French Ligue games and he plays for Nice.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They can't even keep their own disputes straight. The beIN Connect site has a banner in rotation telling people to Call and tweet Comcast....with the hashtag "#KEEPbeIN on Fios":
    BeInComFios.jpg

13. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    If I had to guess, chances are they won't be able to extend the La Liga deal in 2020 at the status quo, particularly with the proliferation of B/R, ESPN+ and others. That's all before you even think about the impact the La Liga deal with Relevant will have on them down the line. They've been bleeding rights (Serie A and Championship/League Cup at the top of the list) so they know it's likely now or never. They may be asking for the unattainable, but it's all they can do to try and survive given all their carriage deals were up at such a turbulent time.

14. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I'm at a loss for words on this one all I can do is o_O:rolleyes::astonished::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

15. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The channel has always been a bit of a mess, posting incorrect schedules, app not working, etc. Bottom line, however, is that until their contract runs out they have exclusive La Liga rights. So while Premier League is still number one in the United States, La Liga is still very popular, with the two most followed teams in any sport in the world. (Over 100 million Facebook followers for Real Madrid and Barcelona.) I actually think it’s good that they lost Serie A and EFL as they had too many games to show, and their app for overflow games is a mess. Ligue 1 with Mbappe and Neymar also a bit of a selling point, even though it’s an uncompetitive league, at least as far as the title is concerned. As far as La Liga, never understood why Univision didn’t get the rights. You’d think Real Madrid and Barcelona on OTA TV would draw more viewers even than premier league given these teams’ popularity in the Latino market.

16. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    A question for KyL:

Do sports entities like La Liga insert language in their agreements allowing them to terminate a deal if the distributing channel loses xx% of their reach?

I could see La Liga looking around right now to dump BeIn and find a better partner.

17. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The international leagues don't have that much clout compared to major US sports. Most other channels with wider distribution would treat them like tier 5 content that only airs when there's room on the schedule, while any other potential outlets like Fox Soccer Plus, Eleven Sports and Gol are just as limited in their package placement.

The international leagues are aware of this too, which is why many of them in recent years opted to agree to go with OTT platforms, like BPL going to NBC Sports Gold, SANZAR and Serie A on ESPN+, UEFA on B/R, etc.

18. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I guess they must be asking for lots of money. I was going to sign for Fubo but they wanted $45 a month.

19. TJNash

TJNash AllStar

Jun 5, 2012
    San Diego
    Fubo is actually a really good product, but only idiots like me use it as a supplement to Directv.

20. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    This idiot purchased a year subscription to ESPN+ as a supplement to D* when it was announced they had the rights to Serie A. beIN treated Serie A like s*** with their constant bias towards La Liga and there was no way they were going to retain broadcast rights. I despise giving extra $$$ to ESPN but the streaming service provides access to ALL Serie A matches and it’s reliable, unlike beIN Connect which is pure garbage.
    If the deal for La Liga to play their games in the US is agreed with the players union then beIN USA is history. The games won’t be broadcast on beIN and when the network loses La Liga they’ll be toast. Moto GP & the WTA will be looking for new broadcast partners too.

TJNash likes this.