1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a CE'er has its advantages

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H21 Discussion' started by RAD, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 21
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I called in on Monday to get my H20 replaced under the protection plan. The CSR originally wanted to send a tech out in 10 days, I finally talked her into just FedEx'ing a relpacement which should be here tomorrow.

Anyway, tonight I get an automated call from D* to call them to schedule a service call appt. Called in, the rep checked and said it was shipped and not call necessary but as long as he was on the phone let's check all my receivers to make sure the BBC's are all connected. I tried to tell him I know what I'm doing but still wanted to do the check. I finally said if he knew was a H21 was, he said yes, so I said so do I and I have one here and I'm testing it for D*. He said, oh you must be a member of that DBSTalk internet site and thanks for your guys work, no need to test the BBC, good night.

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 21
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Funny story. That's good to hear though. Thanks for sharing.
    It even saved you 10 minutes of phone time.

And yes...being a CE'er has it's advantages in so many ways. Not just the opportunity to field test new products when available.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 21
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That is kinda funny...

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 21
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Another great story is my boss has DirecTV and we chat quite a bit about it and he has an HR20. I was telling him how easy it was to network so he tried it himself and had some problems. He called CS and the CSR couldn't really help him saying networking really wasn't supported but to try this Internet site called DBSTalk and they could help him because "they know everything" :)

Even better though is he came here and did a search and he tells me the first thread he pulls up is one by this crazy guy called bonscott saying how easy it was to hook up networking. I smiled cause he knows my online handle. I can't get away!

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 21
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    :lol:

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 21
    mganga

mganga Godfather

Dec 4, 2006
    y'all are so cool...

7. Sep 5, 2007 #7 of 21
    MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    :lol: I read the same thread, saw your avatar, and thought, "I'll get some good info here"....and left feeling cheated and thinking...."that guy is crazy!":biggrin: ;)

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Funny stories, but underneath it all is one fact, you all can take it to the bank: DIRECTV knows you, respects you, and appreciates you.

9. Sep 6, 2007 #9 of 21
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So DBSTalk.com has become a resource worthy of being referenced by multi-billion dollar company (29B according to Yahoo! Finance). That's some pretty heady company and find it quite satisfying and exciting at the same time.

10. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    This is why I scoff when people tell me to take my closed captioning problems to the FCC and threaten lawsuits and such. I don't feel D* is working against me, but with me instead, and that's due in large part to DBSTalk.com and the CE program. While D* has obviously approved it, it's the engineers that came here that surely pushed the idea with their higher-ups. THEY, to me, are the first heroes of the CE program.

11. stogie5150

stogie5150 Godfather

Feb 21, 2006
    Is that why they keep ignoring the glaring ommisions in their flagship product, instead concentrating on selling us new services? :mad:

Thanks for letting me know that. :(

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    what glaring omissions? Are you referring to the H21?

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I see no glaring omissions in my DIRECTV equipment.

My only glare is from Mrs. Shadow smiling happily next to me :D

14. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Based on his signature he really really wants DLB.

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    figures .. It will be tough, I mean REAL tough on the H21 though .. that is what we're talking about, right? :lol:

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    The H21 has a single rocker switch in the center, therefore you can't even have Dual Live Buttons.

17. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Well then how will you dim the light ring?

WHAT?!?! The H21 doesn't have a light ring? First it has no DLB, now it has no light ring. What a pile of crap!

18. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I helped a friend move this past weekend. This friend knows I'm testing SWM and that I test early versions of software for the HR-20. He mentions it to another guy who's helping with the move (whom I've never met).

He asks me, "How'd you get that gig?"
    I respond, "I met a guy on this online discussion board and..."
    He interupts and says, "Earl?".
    I start laughing. :)

He doesn't post here nor is he registered (since he didn't seem to understand the whole CE process) but he knew of Earl! :) I s**t you not.

19. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Kinda of scary.....in a wierd kinda way. :grin:

20. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Spent couple of hours this morning with a D*/Mastec installer.....

at the end of the day he said "You should work for Directv".:D