Belden 7916A RG6 Cable

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RandallA, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandallA

RandallA Legend

Feb 4, 2005
    I'd like to hear opinions on this cable. It meets all the requirements for a Dish Pro installation but want to hear if someone here has used it. This new cable will be used from the dish to a DP34 switch (about 105 ft).

Belden 7916A
    18 AWG Solid Bare Copper
    Swept Test 2.25 MHz
    Quad Shielded

I found it for $0.10 per ft. I think that's a good deal but want to hear opinions.

I would like to replace the cable that the original installer used. He used some "Laser" RG6 cable swept tested to 2200 MHz but the braid on the cable looks like only 40% to me. Plus it looks like DirecTV cabling, I hate the way it looks. I'm also having problems where randomly one of the 4 receivers loses the satellite signal. I've replaced all the connectors, swapped DP34 switches and the only thing left is the cable. Hard or soft reset solves the problem. It isn't an alignment problem, getting pretty good signal.

110, tp. 11 = 100, tp 12 = 108
    119, tp. 11 = 104, tp 12 = 110

Thanks.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    The Belden cable would be fine. Just make sure that you use the best "F" connectors, like the ones from this Snap-N-Seal kit on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5758558315&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

And, it's a good idea to mount the DP34 switch inside or at least on the ceiling next to the freize board under an eave. This is the best location for a switch mounted on an eave, facia board or on the edge of a roof.

I always like to mount the grounding blocks in a weatherproof box.

Attached Files:

3. RandallA

RandallA Legend

Feb 4, 2005
    Thanks Mike500 for the reply.

Yes, I'm using PPC EX6XL compression connectors. I have that same compression tool. One switch is inside in the garage and the other one inside a weatherproof box just like yours by the dish.

Maybe quad shield is overkill for E* but for Cable TV is a must in this area , I got a lot of ingress when I ran a regular RG6 cable (about 100 ft). The Belden cables from what I read are pretty good cables but just want to know if someone has used this particular one.

I think, I'll go ahead and just try it. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.