1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin Gigabit Powerline - MRV Results

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jason Whiddon, May 7, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 #1 of 24
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    The way my electronics are setup, I need powerline hardware for simplicity, but I had no luck getting my 85mbps Netgears to work with MRV (choppy video). Before committing to Deca, and adding yet another mix to my setup, I wanted to try the gigabits.

Got them from Amazon this AM and they stream HD from the bedroom HR22 to the liv room HR22 just fine. :D

I dunno if the beta software has been improving the streaming, but this works fine on the current NR SW.

2. May 7, 2010 #2 of 24
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  3. May 7, 2010 #3 of 24
    Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Sorry VOS - I think you are right on nearly everything I have seen you post on here, but I think I need to disagree on this. These adapters would work for any device you want on a network, DECA will only work on the DTV equipment..... If I am wrong on this let me know! Maybe I will go DECA too if I can hook up my XBox, HTPC, etc. to it.

4. May 7, 2010 #4 of 24
    Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Yeah, he's missing what I need. I have FOUR other devices that need HSI access. Powerlines allow me to do both HSI to those and handle MRV. If it did not work I was going to send them back and just go with DECA, but since they appear to work, I'm keeping them.

5. May 7, 2010 #5 of 24
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Yes & No"
    The topic/use was for MRV, so the DECA upgrade of $99 + $49 service call would connect all the receivers & the internet, so more than simply "one hop" in a network.
    On the other hand, if this hop was also needed for other devices, then DECA might not be ideal, but depending on many things, "could be" used also.

6. May 7, 2010 #6 of 24
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Glad it works for what you need, but it's not that "I missed" your other uses/needs, but that you didn't post them. ;)

7. May 7, 2010 #7 of 24
    Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Understood. The powerlines just allow me freedom, and I have to have them anyways. I wanted to see if they would work, as opposed to adding yet another bit of technology to an already crowded system.

8. May 7, 2010 #8 of 24
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    You may not have any choice. :mad:

9. May 7, 2010 #9 of 24
    Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I think youll be able to use powerlines in the future, they just wont support it, and Im sure Ill be charged the fee since ive opted in.

10. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Just watched an hour of of supernatural and only had one glitch. Window popped up about 20 minutes in and said it had lost connection with the network, but the video kept playing. I let it go 5 more minutes hoping the window would go away, but when I finally clicked OK it shut down, and I had to restart the show from the beginning. Seems like a bug more than anything because the video kept playing.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "The bug" isn't in the software, since MRV works flawlessly over a DECA network.
    Sounds more like there was a problem [small/slight] with the streaming over the powerline.

12. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Would be nice if you could get rid of the popup, since the video is still streaming fine, without losing the show and starting over. I wonder if I should opt out and opt back in both rcvr's, since they were opted in on the 85mbps netgears.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Try it" [but I doubt it will matter], since you've got nothing to lose.
    This could have come from something noisy starting up on the circuit causing the packets to get lost.

14. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Well, for pure entertainment, I have my netgear 85mbps powerlines connected back up now, along with the belkin gigabits. Netgears are running HSI to devices and the belkins are strictly allowing the HR's to talk to each other. See how playback goes.

15. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'd also say it's a bug -- and you should report it in the proper issues thread. The video shouldn't keep playing if it has truly lost connection with the network.

Did the trickplay continue to work with the dialog box up?

The powerline is probably the worst comm link, compared to wireless, and wired -- and no comm link is perfect - even wired (and DECA). That's why there's retry packets in TCP/IP.

But the DSPs continue to raise the throughput on the powerline. I did some R&D with the local utility in the 70s on powerline communication (from Substation to home) to read meters at 12 BAUD. And have used home X-10 stuff since it was released in the late 60s. It's even improved but not foolproof for something that was designed in the 60s.

PLC can also be affected by the 'leg' that your 120 outlets are on, on the 240 coming into your house. Sometimes switching to another outlet can cure that -- or there's bypass capacitors you can put on the breaker box or 240 volt outlets (dryer / oven).

Glad it's working well for you. Unfortunately, there's other ethernet needs at the TV location that DECA doesn't yet address.

16. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Yes, trickplay did work fine, even with the popup about lost connection showing.

Where is the thread for issues, I must have missed it.

17. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    You can put an ethernet switch on a DECA dongle and utilize your Xbox, HTPC, etc with it. This will only work with the dongle and not when DECA is built into the receiver (HX24.)

18. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Watched two hours of HD now, and other than that weird first glitch, its working fine.

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Oh you'll definately be charged the fee, no question about that. But like I said, you MAY not have any choice WRT DECA. I guess we'll "officially" know for sure soon enough. :eek2:

Either way, when they turn-off the beta MRV I would guess it will have to be a global disconnect whether you plan on keeping it or not so everyone who wants to pay for it will be lighting up their call-centers next Thursday which in itself should be interesting.

Can't wait to see how the CSR's respond because half of them probably won't have a clue. "Ethernet" what's that? How can you use hairspray for MRV." (For those under 60 that was a pun on "spraynet" which was a brand of woman's hair spray).

20. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I wish they'd just send out tv mail saying that, unless you wanna get charged, you better opt out. Chances are, the same people who opted in and used MRV, know what tv mail is.