1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bell Expressvu

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by mike6097, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 4, 2005 #1 of 38
    mike6097

mike6097 Cool Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Hello,
    I am curious but is it possible to activate and receive Bell programming in the US? They have access to HD that Dish does not. This puzzles me since from what I have read Dish own this company. Anyone with any info on this please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Jan 4, 2005 #2 of 38
    Idiotnumber1

Idiotnumber1 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    To activate Bell ExpressVu unit in united states you need to find broker handle this for you as cannot subcribe directly as canadian address is required. for service.

Echostar as share in Bell ExpressVu but in no way does Dish own them.

Regards,

Alex :)

3. Jan 6, 2005 #3 of 38
    dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    It's possible to subscribe to Bell ExpressVu in the US, though it's considered "gray market" because ExpressVu doesn't have permission to sell into the US. Generally the way it works is US subscribers will use a broker; the broker deals with ExpressVu on your behalf, providing them a Canadian point of contact on the account. The broker sells the necessary equipment to you, and you arrange to install it yourself or find someone to do it for you. On such broker is www.canamsatellites.com; I've used them for a couple years. Except for the occasional troubles with the Echostar equipment they've based their service on, it's been a good experience.

The footprint of one of their two satellites makes it difficult or impossible to receive in the southern parts of the US, but if you live in the northern/central part, it's usually not a problem.

4. Jan 7, 2005 #4 of 38
    QualityIsJobOne

QualityIsJobOne Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    Hmm.....Before you get an ExpressVu system, here is my list of why StarChoice is a better sat choice than ExpressVu....

....No contracts or detailed personal info required with StarChoice. Likely due to ExpressVu's problem with signal theft, ExpressVu requires lot's of personal info & locks you into a one or two year contract. StarChoice doesn't have a signal theft problem as they use DigiCipher ll technology...the same encription system used by TV stations.

....You can make instant programming changes 24/7 365 with StarChoice. Changes are implemented while you are on the phone. ExpressVu CSR's don't work weekends & holidays. Also, ExpressVu won't allow you to downgrade programming until the next billing cycle.

....No extra charge for HDTV channels on StarChoice....$10+HST/month for HDTV on ExpressVu.

-StarChoice has a price freeze on Platinum Choice Plus $69.99/month or better programming until Feb 2006. They also waive the $5/month multi-receiver fee for Platininum Choice Plus or better subs. I haven't read about any price freezes with ExpressVu.

....Small market local TV stations (great for additional timeshifting opportunities) are available to all on StarChoice...ExpressVu locks most subs out.

....StarChoice has about 50 more audio channels than ExpressVu. StarChoice has Galaxie audio channels, Corus Max Trax audio channels, 7 Spokane FMs, + tons of Canadian FM's including 12 from Vancouver (I love CFOX 99.3FM...THE FOX ROCKS!)....Express only has Galaxie audio channels & a few Canadian FM's (no CFOX). You will really appreciate the StarChoice audio channels if you listen via your home theater receiver. We have even added Bose deck speakers for summer fun.

....StarChoice uses Dolby sound in all it's receivers. ExpressVu uses a European sound system "Musicam" in it's cheap receivers like the 2700 & 3100. They do offer Dolby sound in their 6100 HD receiver.

....StarChoice offers sets of US nets from four cities (U pick) vs two (no pick) on ExpressVu. You can switch up you choices of StarChoice US nets as often as you like. If you have a DSR500 receiver you can get local news & programming from all four cities....Detroit & Seattle on the HDTV channels + Buffalo & Spokane on the regular SD channels.

....StarChoice uses multiple uplinks across Canada to send the signal up to Anik F1 & F2 and down to cable companies & your home. In many cases you are receiving a first generation quality signal. ExpressVu only has one uplink. In many cases they have to pick the signals off Anik F1 and then send them up to Nimiq 1,2 & 3 and back down to your home. A second generation quality signal.

....Free Superstations if you order the Family channel with StarChoice...not free on ExpressVu.

....Newer, bigger satellites(Anik F1 & F2) with better look angles/footprints with StarChoice= less rain fade! vs ExpressVu's rag-tag fleet of satellites.

....Sim-subs...ie simultaneous substitution of Canadian nets over the US nets feeds....there are major differences between StarChoice & ExpressVu....
    For HDTV channels....There have been no HDTV sim-subs on StarChoice. ExpressVu has experimented with CTV HD sim-subs and will do more shortly.
    For regular SD channels...StarChoice sends a signal to your receiver to switch the signals. Therefore you should only have local sim-subs from your billing address. You can cancel most sim-subs by unplugging for a few seconds. ExpressVu performs the sim-sub at their Mississagua uplink...therefore everyone watching ExpressVu gets the sim-sub. ExpressVu has even been sim-subbing their sister business TSN over US network feeds..ie golf on the weekends. StarChoice doesn't do this.

....Bloomberg TV & FOX News are free to all on StarChoice until March 16th when they will be added to the FYI bundle. Bloomberg & FOX News are not available on ExpressVu

....MSNBC (Imus, HardBall, Countdown, etc) for 99cents/month on StarChoice...MSNBC is not available on ExpressVu.

....RaptorsTV for 99cents/month on StarChoice vs how much on BEV?

....Both StarChoice & ExpressVu offer NFL Sunday Ticket. For casual football fans there is more than enough football in HDTV for no extra charge.

5. Jan 8, 2005 #5 of 38
    snidely

snidely Mentor

Mar 10, 2003
    The original poster said he was interested in HD. BEV has at least 3 times as many HD channels as SC. SC, for now, is short of space and has to juggle their meager HD offerings. All of BEV's HD is on 82, which does cover the entire U.S. - altho some of us on the fringes figure we need a 24" rather than an 18" dish.
    BEV has full time HD networks from CBS, ABC PBS,NBC, and Fox. Both from Boston and Seattle. They have 4 HD PPV. Have WGN HD (for WB programs). They have a couple of Canadian stations - one of which carries ST:E. They have a premium movie package (akin to HBO/SHO) with several channels - one of which is HD. Also have a couple of sports HD channels. And, for those who care, have NFL ST.
    It is true that as of a couple months ago when BEV moved some std. def. channels to an old sat., some of us lost those channels. The original sat. is receivable w. an 18" dish. For about 2/3 of the country - you can still get both the old and newer sat. at 91 w. the std. def. programming.
    As for a "broker". All you need is a Canadian address to give BEV. Friend, relative, etc. YOU can call BEV yourself on their 416 number (as opposed to their 800 number which is blocked from the U.S.) You can set up your account to auto charge your U.S. credit card. I have never had a problem calling in. When you do so, just don't tell them how warm the weather is today<G>. If you do need a broker for an address, try to at least just pay him for the use of an address and YOU manage your own account. I never saw a piece of mail from BEV the first 3 years I had the service until they sent out new cards. When I heard they were doing that just told my cusin something important looking would be coming from bEV - so don't throw it out. She mailed it to me. I called into BEV and activated it.
    I would doubt that DISH owns any part of BEV. They are a subsidiary of the large Canadian Bell landline company. They do contract with DISH to use their hardware. HOWEVER, the hardware units are not interchangeable. You can't hook up a box w. a U.S. serial number to BEV or vice versa.

...mike

6. RogerDodger

RogerDodger Mentor

Nov 14, 2003
  7. S.C. Am

S.C. Am Mentor

Jul 27, 2004
    Hmm - do you own stock in BCE?

Looking thru Expressvu's offering - don't see Canada's only 24 hour movie service - Movie Central HD - hmm - can't be lack of space

Yes - love that extra sports offering (must subscribe to Sports package, pay $9.95/month for network HD and then an extra $1.99 for TSNHD)

TSN HD offering for January after the World Junior Hockey Championship ended
    "Jan 23 NFL Countdown 11:00 a.m. et
    Jan 23 NFL Primetime 11:30 p.m. et"

Total non US network HD programming on CTV HD

(don't worry if you see, zippo on the line above - that's normal for Bell Canada - advertise 23 HD channels - charge $13.98/month extra for them - show upconverts 95% of the time)

Will the HD excitment on Bell owned broadcasters ever end.

8. Spruceman

Spruceman Legend

Nov 21, 2004
    "StarChoice has about 50 more audio channels than ExpressVu. StarChoice has Galaxie audio channels, Corus Max Trax audio channels, 7 Spokane FMs, + tons of Canadian FM's including 12 from Vancouver (I love CFOX 99.3FM...THE FOX ROCKS!)....Express only has Galaxie audio channels & a few Canadian FM's (no CFOX). You will really appreciate the StarChoice audio channels if you listen via your home theater receiver. We have even added Bose deck speakers for summer fun"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

But ExpressVu offers all 45 Galaxie channels, whereas the StarChoice Galaxie-MaxTrax combo offers only some of each -- leaving out Easy Listening, Opera, Celtic, etc. The commercial FMs they offer are primarily top 40 hits, and top 40 country, and little else except CBC, which is also on BEV. Since I'm not into rock music (except like it was in the '50s) -- and my country interest lies in classic country (late '40s, '50s), ExpressVu would be my choice for audio.

One real advantage with *Choice is their receivers are cardless, so you dont have to go thru the logistics of a gray (grey) market card swap. An advantage with *Vu is for those people who are offended by the larger size of the *Choice dish.

9. snidely

snidely Mentor

Mar 10, 2003

...mike

10. snidely

snidely Mentor

Mar 10, 2003

11. dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    Hmm... need glasses?

[​IMG]

12. S.C. Am

S.C. Am Mentor

Jul 27, 2004
    What an insult.

Some background:

The whole issus of Canadian HD is very much up in air. Years of allowing vertical integration in Canadian broadcasting have resulted in next to ZERO original programming and little investment in either production or distribution hardware.

American tv production houses actually produce more HD in Canada than Canadian companies do - once again so much for Soviet style market protection that is the hallmark of the Canadian system - the viewer doesn't gain - only the pocketbooks of the Big 5 who have paid for and bought the CRTC (government body)

Occassionally these children have fights in their little sandbox.

One is now in front of the CRTC - between Shaw (Shaw Cable - 2nd largest cable company; Star Choice - 2nd largest sat comp; Cancom - sat distributor of programming to cable head ends; + their programming arm (Corus - Movie Central etc)

and BCE - owner of all Nimiq and Anik satellites; largest Telco in Canada, owner of Expressvu; + 80% owner of BGM (CTV, TSN, Discovery HD)

So you won't seeing any Bell distributed American HD on any Shaw property and you won't be seeing the 24 hr Movie Central HD channel on Expressvu -

So on the one side are all the Canadian cable companies + StarChoice/Cancom wanting more HD programming - no matter from where and on the other side - the Canadian broadcasters (Bell, Global, CITY) attempting to block any further competition.

13. QualityIsJobOne

QualityIsJobOne Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    ....There isn't a heck of a lot of difference. ExpressVu has a 20" round dish ....StarChoice dishes are eliptical 60cm (23") or 75cm (30") at their widest point.

14. QualityIsJobOne

QualityIsJobOne Legend

Apr 29, 2002
  15. dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
  16. Shafting_Hard_All_Watcher

Shafting_Hard_All_Watcher New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I've never met a HAPPY Starchoice sub. The only people I've ever seen even mention Starchoice are paid touts. Hey Quality how much do you get paid for pushing Starchoice? No need to answer I'm sure it's enough. Starchoice is owned by the same lot that own Shaw cable. You know what Shaw stands for?

Shafting
    Hard
    All
    Watchers.

If you feel that US cable companies are too nice and don't raise your rates fast enough then Shaw are the people for you.

Is it time for Shawchoices weekly price increase?

17. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    I switched from ExpressVu to SC about 5 months ago and love SC...Let me give you a few reasons why (no Im not a Shaw payee or whatever the hell you want to call it. I'm a grey sub)

-Picture quality is better on SC (for the channels I watch). EVU looks too dark
    -SC actually has the sound the same on all channels...nice and loud. EVu had some so soft the TV was almost to the max, and then you switch to CBOT (CBC Ottawa) and you got blown into the next county
    -TSN in basic package
    -I can get CBC, CTV, Global, US Nets and TSN in a basic package for $20 CAD

Everyone has their own reason why they have SC or EVu. No need to degrade someone because of their choice. Some areas in the US EVu doesnt reach all the weay there, so SC is the only option.

QIJO just stated reasons to look at SC.

and as for the "weekly increase"....Yes SC raised their rates 2/1....but Bell did theirs last year (lets see...locals and us nets for 19.90 on old plan...now $25)

18. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Does either SC or EV offer a(n) HD-DVR? I have gotten so used to recording everything on my 921 and watching later, I am not sure I could go back to watching live.

19. QualityIsJobOne

QualityIsJobOne Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    ...LOL...so far $0 :) I have zero financial interest in the DTH satellite biz....I'm just a lowly StarChoice sub.

...I switched over from DirecTv to StarChoice in March 1998...after having DirecTv since December 1994.

20. QualityIsJobOne

QualityIsJobOne Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    ...Thanks TonyM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.