Best Buy runs out of stock so cancels online orders for Christmas!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by F1 Fan, Dec 23, 2011.

1. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    "Due to overwhelming demand of hot product offerings on BestBuy.com during the November and December time period, we have encountered a situation that has affected redemption of some of our customers’ online orders. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and we have notified the affected customers,"

Just what you need 2 days before Christmas - that nice gift you bought a while ago and was waiting for it to be shipped is now cancelled!

This isnt them not allowing people to order, this is them cancelling orders they have taken in the past few weeks!

Lots of unhappy people on their forums and facebook at the moment

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    While not that bad, I ordered a TV from Wal-Mart and was promised delivery on or before 12/24. According to FedEd it will not be here until the 27th. Wal-Mart couldn't care any less.

Had this been a Christmas gift for someone other than me, I would be seriously pissed. As it is, I am just really annoyed.

3. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Have you started tracking it? The reason I say that is that I had my HR34 come from NY by Fedex Ground. When I started tracking it, they said it would be here on 12/21. But when I looked on 12/19 it was on the local truck for delivery.

They are throwing out all the stops to get things here and weather isnt holding things up. A friend of mine owns a franchised large rental truck business and 80% of his trucks have been out all month to UPS and FEDEX

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, it's apparently still on the way here from Memphis (departed Memphis yesterday at 8:15 AM). I suppose it could arrive this afternoon or tonight and they could deliver it tomorrow. I doubt FedEx is delivering ground shipments on Saturday, though. We'll see.....

5. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Maybe they will for this one day.

Also a friend of mine got up at 3am the other day (with shotgun) as he lives in a rural area and heard a noise outside - turns out Fedex was delivering to him at that time of morning

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm amazed at some of the hassles and surprises with online ordering...

For a gift I ordered a gazebo from Home Depot early last week and it took a full day to get email acknowledging the order, then it took a week to get email that it shipped, another 2 days for the 'label' to show up on the UPS web site, and it was delivered 2 days later - all without the UPS website ever showing any "prorgress".

I had a similar situation with Costco "white glove" shipment just after Thanksgiving: got email right away, but could never find any shipping info. Finally a week went by and I got a phone call, but I was in the dark the entire time up until then.

Amazon seems to get it right, but they've had years of experience building regional shipping centers and working with UPS.

I love Best Buy but this is not good news for them or their customers...

7. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    According to this Gizmodo article, it's a bit more than just cancelling orders. They're continuing to sell the items at full price, but the ones purchased at sale prices are magically backordered. They were also marking items as shipped (and assuring customers they had), only to come back and say the orders had been cancelled later... leaving customers with hardly any time to source a replacement. I hope they fix this. I really like Best Buy, and this is a huge black mark.

8. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Yeah I read that article after I did more searching.... There will be some legal cases here. You cannot charge a card for an item (just hold the amount) until you ship it. Most systems, when you mark the item as shipped will automatically put through the charge capture then. So marking those items as shipped and charging for them is Fraud - and against Visa and Mastercard TOS. And they will come down hard on them - especially when it rings into the $$millions

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Ironically, another website I frequent has literally hundreds of posts from folks who just received Best Buy online orders for some hot Android tablets.

In most cases, these were ordered around Thanksgiving on pre-order, and only now shipped. The delay was reported from other retailers carrying the same items to be a result of manufacturers being behind in their production from the Thailand floods that happened a short while ago.

Apparently, the short supplies included tablets, laptops, and other electronics...and it impacted Amazon and other retailers beyond just Best Buy.

10. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    If Best Buy is selling the items in store and online for the full price, out of fairness to the customer Best Buy should be converting all of those "sale" orders to "in store pickups" for the sale price, allowing the customer to walk in and get it today.

To not honor Black Friday orders when the product is still being sold is ridiculous...

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Just called FedEx. They said if it shows up at the distrobution center it will be delivered. They said they are delivering anything that might be a gift, regardess of when it would normally be delivered based on the service level it was shipped using. They are normally closed tomorrow, but are remaining open to get as many packages delivered as possible.

A possible side effect of the FedEx guy chucking the monitor over the fence? ;)

EDIT: My TV is on the truck for delivery. So FedEx bailed out Wal-Mart. Awesome job of FedEx getting it here 3 days ahead of schedule in order to beat Christmas.

12. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    FedEx missed two packages that were coming to me and my wife last Friday... and brought them on Saturday morning. And that was before the box incident. :sure:

13. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    That's not true. And, none of the articles I read said that best Buy had charged anyone for the orders that are being canceled. And it certainly wasn't intentional. So, while it certainly will hurt Best Buy's reputation, it wasn't fraud.

-- Roger

14. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    It is in Visa and Mastercards terms of service for merchants. Which is why they have a single step process and a 2 step process in their systems.

Trust me on this as we write many Shopping Carts for many websites using lots of gateways and spend lots of time in PCI compliance audits etc.

If a merchant sells goods and accepts credit cards they request a "hold" on those funds. In normal practice those funds are no longer available on the card and are help for up to 30 days.

As soon as the merchant ships the items they can then "charge" the amount using the auth code they recieved.

If you try and charge the same time, I have often seen Visa/Mastercard/Discover call the customer and ask them if they have had the items shipped or received them. And have seen the funds held back by Visa etc.

Also the forums and facebook pages show people saying they were charged for the items and told they were shipped.

So if those people were telling the truth (and I suspect they were as most carts will automatically charge once shipped) then yes it is fraud. I dont know what would be done legally. But I have seen repeat offenders have their merchant services removed by Visa. And once you have it removed, good luck on ever getting it re-instated again.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    No BB for me. I've been in their pits twice in 15+ years. Never again.

First time was many years ago when they opened a store in a new mall in my area. Lots of attitude from their people, very unpleasant experience.

Second time was a few years ago. I had moved a few states away and they opened a new store here. I figured it had been a few years, maybe they learned a thing or two. Just barely got in the door and the vultures descended. Every time I picked up a box to read the specs, a vulture was hanging over my shoulder disrupting my concentration.

I walked out.

----

I have had FedEx deliver on Saturday recently. I think they start residential Saturday ground deliveries after Turkey Day.

16. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    While some processors might include it, none of the merchant accounts I've used over the years have had that in their Terms of Service.

-- Roger

17. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    You may be correct. All I know is we write software for shopping carts that accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover and Diners Club. All of these companies state in their operating conditions that you must deliver goods at time of charge. For a brick and mortar store that is easy. But for eCommerce there are steps we have to take (plus PCI compliance).

As for not being fraud - I would disagree. Although going against TOS is not fraud. Charging for an item you said had been shipped and consequently not shipped, cancelling the order but selling the items at a higher price and then holding onto the original amount and going through the normal merchant refund process (as has been alleged by many BB customers) is most certainly fraud. The part where it becomes fraud is when they charge and tell people it has shipped, people ask for more details and confirmation and again being told is has shipped and will be delivered on xx day. Then find out it was never shipped. The other part is where you offer an item for $xx on sale. charge a card, and say it is on its way. Then cancel the order and offer the same item at a higher price. Again alleged by many people today.

18. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Again I would disagree. There are a large number of people who are saying they bought items on Black Friday in the sale. They have today had the order cancelled. But you can buy that same item at full price online at Best Buy and in their stores.

And Best Buy put out a statement and sent an email saying these items have had to be cancelled.

How is that not intentional? Or are you saying the charging and then cancelling was not intentional? I cant see how that could happen by accident either.

Best Buy messed up. They are trying to squeeze more sales than they have items for. I very much doubt that if you ordered the sales items at full price, that you would get them either.

But like Netflix, GoDaddy and some others recently - they all sent their CEO's on some new PR course. Instead of apologizing and making it right, they make it 10 times worse.

All Best Buy need to do now is call in Reed Hastings to write them a quick blog and that would be the icing on the cake!

19. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    A few years ago I never saw a charge until item was shipped. Now it always comes out of my account as soon as I make purchase. Not sure if it is a charge or hold. Re. BB; I picked up some small items there last Tuesday morning. There were 2 of 8 registers open with about 25 people in line. I knew they would be spending a lot of time trying to sell those buyers extended warranties and sign them up for Rewards Cards or Credit accounts. So I put down what I had and left. You wonder why people shop online?

20. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    if it is online or telephone order then initially it is a hold. Your available balance will be reduced by the amount but not showing as a charge yet.

If you see it on an online statement it should show as Pending.

Only when they ship the item do they charge it.

This is also part of the security and risk management strategy. When we authorize an amount we get a code. When we then charge for that amount later we dont put in the card information again, we send the transaction code for the original auth. This means it goes to the same card and also gave the cardholder time to have been notified of the transaction and can call about possible fraud.

Card Not Present transactions, especially over ecommerce have a whole load of things that have to be complied with.

If you ever host a website site that accepts credit cards you must ensure that you are PCI compliant (a set of 12 requirements). You and your hoster are liable otherwise. Though most carts are already PCI compliant if they use the standard processors. For example we do a lot with Quickbooks Merchant Services. They hold the information and they are PCI compliant. So it takes the onus of the website unless that website wants to store information locally - which it should not need to with the QBMS system and others.