1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best buy sold out of directv r15

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by shaun-ohio, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    just checked the website for my home town, best buy is sold out of the dvr, must be something good about them :)

2. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Well I kinda feel sorry for those people who get them for christmas and have issues with them. NOT going to be pretty.

3. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    Ive had mine for about a month with no issues,crashes, lockups, etc. Works perfect. My Dtivo aka Dcrapo as been in on the shelf ever since.

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

How are those dual buffers working out for you?

5. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004

different people place value in different features... just because some people like things like 30sec skip and dual buffers doesn't mean that everyone lives by them. heck, my parents have 3 DTiVos and I bet they have no clue what dual buffers are or how to use them to their advantage. i have 4 DTiVos and an R15 and I like features of both of them... although if i had to pick one unit to live by (as it is right now) I would certainly take the DTiVo unit. But the R15 is certainly a nice unit and has a lot of potential to be a very very nice DVR. i don't understand why everyone is taking the R15 so personally and bashing it. if someone likes their R15, what's it to you?

6. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

7. mphare

mphare AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    So, if the R15 gets dual buffer, then you'll consider it near perfect (except for that 30 second skip thingy)?

8. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    dual buffer and get the caller-id and recording bugs fixed and yes, I personally will be happy and promise to never post again.

The 50/100 limit should be fixed as well in my opinion but most of what I watch are weekly series and those limits do not affect me personally. Others will have a legitimate gripe with those limits.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Considering the older DTivo's dont have callerid, I'd say thats not really an issue, and I'm sure they'll get it fixed soon. ITs a brand new box, give it time to mature. The DTivos were far from perfect when they came out.

Just keeping it real so not everyone gets suckered into your rants....

10. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

It's almost Christmas so I'm not going to argue with you. But, most are tired of the "it's a brand new box" theory.

The platform is not a new platform, look at the sky forums and they have been seeing the exact same problems which have fallen on deaf ears. Plus directv has had several years of the directivo box to learn what people want.

11. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Some folks view the world through Rose Colored glasses.

I hope DTV does work on these problems. But I wouldn't bet my need for a DVR on it.

12. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Can someone explain this need for Caller ID on your TV? I just don't get it? If I want to see who's calling I look at my phone. It's right next to me. I had caller ID on my nonDVR units from DTV and turned those off ASAP. Do you really need to see who's calling on your TV? Also, doesn't it just show the phone #? Does it show the name of who's calling?

13. joecool1964

joecool1964 AllStar

Nov 20, 2005
    It shows both the name and the number of who is calling, just like a 'regular' caller ID. The caller ID on my original R-15 (I've already had to have mine replaced) worked very infrequently. I think the idea is, if you're going to put caller ID in the unit, it should work. I've got a $.99 caller ID unit that I got at Walmart that works more reliably than the one in the R-15. Having said that, my new unit has worked flawlessly...for 1 day. All the calls have been logged, and Series Links appear (so far) to be appearing appropriately on the 'to do' list.

14. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks Joe, that makes more sense. Although I find it quite funny that many of the complaints about the DTivo are that CSR's say a phone line must be connected and folks don't have them. Yet the NDS software is coded as such to enable caller ID, hense a phone line is connected.

Why devote any programming resources to code caller ID or fix caller ID when those resources could be spent on some of the other items mentioned on this forum? So DTivo's don't have caller ID but do have a 30 second skip. R15's now have caller ID but no 30 second skip.

Go figure.

15. mphare

mphare AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    I thought Caller ID on the TV was a bit strange myself, until UTV had it enabled with their last service update. When we had to move to DTiVo it's one of the first things my wife complained about - no caller id.

Myself, I can take it or leave it. But if mama's not happy... nobody's happy.

16. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't have a phone line on mine nor can I say I ever will again. I just don't see the need to know who's calling on my TV, I have phones all over the house and the cordless usually sitting right next to me. I honestly think it would annoy the heck out of me if it popped up while I was really into a show.

17. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I like it. I don't keep the phone next to me so it's nice to be able to see it on the TV without have to get up and look at the phone.

18. tall1

tall1 AllStar

Aug 9, 2005
    I agree. This would have been a "wow" feature 10 years ago but I could care less now that I have a wireless caller ID capable phone sitting nearby.

19. majortom

majortom Cool Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Actually, it is just that they built very few, but needed to get them in stores before for holiday purchase. This box was supposed to be released last year and did not ship to retail until October or November. That they ran out means only that there will be fewer people stuck with this inferior product.

/carmi

20. fwebb

fwebb New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I just got a new R15 to replace one of my 2 DTivos whose modem went belly up. Even though I have had DTivo for 3 years I was willing to give the R15 a chance, unfortunately its list of short comings are far too numerous to make this unit anything other than a disappointment, and the mantra “Its Brand New” doesn’t cut it, this is not new technology and as raott pointed out D** has had plenty of time to understand their customers requirements. D** will eventually, I hope, fix the issues that plague this “Box” but in the mean time those of us who are stuck with this inferior product have essentially become Beta testers. With all the chatter about the R15’s problems D** would do well to listen to those concerns and acknowledge that there are problems. I have spoken with tech support on a couple of occasions to give them my 2 cents and both times I have gotten the same pat response “Gee you’re the first one to complain” pure hog wash. They need to correct these problems as quickly as possible. I know that there are some that claim we DTivo users are just whining and resistant to change but it really boils down to usability and reliability, yes DTivo had and has some issues but it is a mature technology and for the most part functions extremely well, but in effect D** is forcing us into a product that by comparison is inferior and as one poster here said “if you didn’t have a DTivo you wouldn’t know the difference”, exactly, we do know the difference and that as they say, is the fly in the ointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.