1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best connection option to receive OnDemand?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MRM, May 19, 2010.

1. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    I have a HR-21 DVR and would like to receive OnDemand programming. I have a wireless router in my house, so all I need is something to connect to the DVR to download and play the content. Which connection device is the best option for the best price? I feel like I can do better than what DirecTV offers, but maybe not. Input is appreciated.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The Linksys/Cisco products are pretty good for this sort of thing, and the WGA600N and WET610N are supported directly by the HR21.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Actually, the best option is hardwired. I would bet that your wireless router has some ethernet ports. Of course, it all depends on the proximity of the HR21 to the router.

4. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    I had one of each before going with DECA and they are both good for DOD. The WET610N is a tall profile (like a cable modem) design and has a blue data light that blinks at an aggravating rate when connected with a Linksys WRT320N router. I finally covered it with electrician's tape. The WGA600N is a flatter profile and is less conspicuous.

5. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I used the WGA600N several times and it would work every time when recording normal shows. But it never would work when recording a 1080p show.

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I use several of THESE WRT160N's as bridges with DD-WRT firmware. At $35 shipped, it's the cheapest Wireless-N solution I've been able to find. It's a bit of a crap shoot since only Versions 1 and 3 of that router work with DD-WRT. I got a 2 once, but 1's or 3's every other time.

7. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    I have two or three available ports on the router. I'll look up the model number on it when I get home.

8. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    The router I have is the WRT160N. I may just hardwire it.

9. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Like the man said, cheapest easiest and best way to go. Monoprice for the cable. Just ordered a 50' Cat-5 for $4.57 plus tax and shipping of course.

10. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    FYI - For those who can't run an ethernet cable and need more than 1 internet access at the TV (DOD, Bluray, TV, etc). you can do what I have setup for some: I use 2 Apple routers (very low profile, no lights), one as your main wireless router and the other configured as a bridge by the HRxx. The Apple routers are the only ones that very easily setup as a bridge, are excellent N routers, allow separate G and N networks as guest networks, but are also not cheap. You get what you pay for. Anyway, personally I have ethernet jacks throughout the house but use these for wireless. My friends and relatives with the Apple setup have had 0 problems in the last couple of years. One more thing: If you, like me have more than one HR20 next to each other and the HR2xx has 2 ethernet ports, you can connect a router to one unit and connect it to the other saving a router port. HR2xx's with 2 ports have a built-in ethernet switch.

11. wberryment

wberryment Cool Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I have the WRT 160N with DD-WRT set up as a Client Bridge to my WRT 610N. These two units are connected to each other and everything is fine. I went into the Networking setup screen on my H23-600 and gave it a static address and gateway the tested the connection. Everything tested out fine. MRV is activated on my other three tv's and everything is working fine. Two of the tv's are hard wired and the other tv is connected via another Linksys with the DD-WRT firmware. They all work fine. Now back to this one with the WRT160N. I can browse photos and music on my network media center from this connected H23-600N but the MRV see's my HR20-700 and my HR23-600 for a few seconds to a minute appearing to be connected then a screen pops up saying disconnected from both of them. This WRT160N is bridged to my WRT610N using Wireless N no security. I can't keep the MRV connected. If I bring my other bridged Linksys WRT54G Wireless G router in and hook it up to the H23-600N then the MRV stays connected. So I don't know if others have been able to successfully bridge a MRV using Wireless N but I've yet to. I'm going to try setting the Linksys WRT160N to wireless G tonight to see if it works, but it defeats the whole purpose of getting a Wireless N router.
    wayne

12. NetRaider

NetRaider Mentor

Aug 31, 2007
    Gigabit CAT6 wired network is by far the best. If you need wireless I recommend the NetGear WNDAP350 ProSafe Dual Band Wireless-N Access Point. I have had great success with this AP.