Best deal for new customer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Evidence86, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nov 4, 2019 #1 of 17
    Evidence86

Evidence86 New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I had Directv years ago and will be moving into a newly built house in a few weeks. I would like 5 receivers (2- 4k, 3 wireless) with choice package. I know places like costco offer $200 gift cards for signing up but was wondering if there were any other offers similar to that. Any advice?

2. Nov 4, 2019 #2 of 17
    DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    To get an understanding your best bet would be to go to the AT&T website and put in everything you want and that should give you a good understanding. Looks like your bill would be around $105 for 12 months without any additional add-ons. (Your first bill would be higher with the equipment charges). Their new customer promotions have gotten worse in the past few months. They don't give out nearly as high discounts as they once did for new customers. I know they generally charge $49 additional for each receiver after the fourth as a one time fee and I think they charge a one time $99 wireless fee as well. Sometimes around Black Friday/Christmas time they run gift card offers for $200-$300 directly through AT&T. If you can wait, I'd try it around that time.

So don't expect the pricing you got a few years ago. I've always went through DIRECTV/AT&T directly myself, don't know anything about Costco, I've heard some shady things that have happened to customers where they were promised certain things by secondary sellers that they didn't end up getting, so I just avoid that. Not saying that has happened to everyone. Just nice to see everything you are getting right in front of you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. Nov 4, 2019 #3 of 17
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Avoid wireless. You will be back here in 2 weeks whining about it

TheRatPatrol and MysteryMan like this.
  4. Nov 4, 2019 #4 of 17
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Be careful on the 2nd year price jump. They lock you in for 2 years but in year 2 it jumps a lot. Its a one way commitment.

5. Nov 4, 2019 #5 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Online will give you the full price for your system plus any advertised discounts to new customers.

But talking with a rep may get you some other discounts.

And unless you need to move your receivers around or you can't get wiring in place, wired is the better solution. I would think a newly built house would be pre-wired for drops; although maybe not where you want them.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Nov 5, 2019 #6 of 17
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    wired-wifi-compare.png

7. Nov 5, 2019 #7 of 17
    Evidence86

Evidence86 New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    It is prewired with the wallplates where I wanted them so all wired is possible was just trying to leave some flexibility in case furniture is ever moved around.

8. Nov 5, 2019 #8 of 17
    Evidence86

Evidence86 New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Online it shows the estimated future bills;

Months 1-12 $106
    Months 13-24 $146

9. Nov 5, 2019 #9 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Valid issue. But I use the wiring as a reason why my wife can't move everything around. She likes to do that about twice a year.

And on the pricing: Its been a long time since I was a new subscriber (over 20 years ago), but since then all the deals/discounts I received were after talking with a CSR. None of them were advertised on their web site. So once you decide, get your equipment/plan lined up online, but then call. And maybe call multiple times.

10. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Was on the phone with ATT yesterday, cancelling my internet, and the rep I was talking to was stating the new deals they have right now are not that great. She said 4 tv's like you are talking about would be roughly $100-115, for first year only. So I'd say choose where you want your gift card to be from. Looks like the discounts are the same just about everywhere right now.

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yes almost about a 40% increase. It would fair if not only are you locked in, but so are they. Xfinity locks in prices for 2 years on 2 year commitment plans where I live. Not recommending Xfinity but just comparing.

12. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Interesting how that works. I have had "cable" in my town in some fashion since it was introduced over 40 years ago and which is now owned by Xfinity with the last 20 years or so being only internet service. When I check online for offers to add TV to my internet service, I can choose between a 1 year commitment or opt out completely for 10.00 a month more. The second year price increases are still the same regardless of whether I commit or not.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That may be the difference.

Call and talk to a CSR. I've received unadvertised deals with DIRECTV, Sprint, SiriusXM and Verizon by talking with them.

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Since you have internet service you are not a New customer. If you use a browser in incognito mode, start a session as a new customer. That's how I found it. Now completing it will be an issue unless someone else with a different email and phone lives at that address ;)

15. Evidence86

Evidence86 New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Mediacom is the cable provider in my area. Dont really care for their service.

Going to end up using YouTube TV until next football season as I already paid for the standalone sunday ticket since I was living in an apartment and dont want to get it free for this season.

16. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Well if your into sports I would say now is the time to be a new customer bth I've not seen the NBA League Pass included in a new customer offer before. I have seen the MLB Extra Innings once.

6d899ab605a8171c90a6f7d1ec1a79f5.png

longhorn23 likes this.
  17. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Huh? The "no commitment" offers I mentioned are when I am logged into my Xfinity account using my actual address and were confirmed by my local store rep as recent as a month ago. It's well known that Xfinity offers can vary widely from area to area and I guess I am just in a good one? Right now, I just started my 3rd year of a 3 year Blast/Streampix/HBO promo with no commitment. It started at 49.00 and in the third year is 79.00. To me, it's still a good deal even at the 79.00 point so no need to consider leaving. I only wanted internet but this deal was too good to pass up. The cable box they gave me for the Streampix and HBO is still sealed in the box and I just use HBO Go instead. I usually go into my local store where they seem to be able to do things I can't get online or over the phone also.