1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DirecTv Offer for New Customer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Y2J, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1 of 43
    Y2J

Y2J New Member

Apr 8, 2012
    I am a long time Dish Network customer of well over a decade. I am looking to switch to DirecTV because I'd like to be able to record more than 3 shows at a time that the Hopper provides and I'd also like to get all my local channels in HD including the WB network which Dish doesn't provide.

So I'm looking at leasing a DIRECTV Home Media Center HD DVR along with an HD receiver for the 2nd room.

The extra offers I've found thus far in addition to the standard DirecTV promo are a $120 Gift Card from Costco, the $100 customer referral offer and the AAA discount of $200. It looks like the AAA discount is the best one.

Is there any other better offers than AAA?

I'd also like to hear opinions from people who have had Dish Network and switched to DirecTV. Any downsides to DirecTV when compared to Dish? Is the HD picture quality better than Dish? What about the HD DVR? Any downsides to DirecTV's Home Media Center vs. the Hopper?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. Apr 8, 2012 #2 of 43
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    How good of a friend wouldn't get the credit?

HD is pretty comparable. Dish SD is better. The downside of the HMC is that you have to schedule network prime time shows. The benefit, you can record 5 things at once of what you want to record.

3. Apr 9, 2012 #3 of 43
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Also need to look carefully at the HD lineup. There's still a lot of basic HD DirecTV doesn't have yet (BBCA, E!, H2, DIY, Cooking, TCM, Nat Geo Wild, G4, etc.). That's the main reason I have Dish instead of DirecTV. If you want more tuners why not just add another Hopper?

4. Apr 9, 2012 #4 of 43
    Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I think HD picture quality on DirecTV is a little better than Dish. SD picture quality on DirecTV is much worse than on Dish.

I'd also compare the channels you care about - looks like you've already started that but you'll want to make sure all the channels you care about are on DirecTV - especially the HD ones.

Also know that if you use a sling box DirecTV DVRs won't do infrared and RF at the same time. That screwed me when I switched to DirecTV.

And of course, the biggest pain is the hardware. DirecTV leaves much to be desired in that department. They are famous for sending out 'updates' before their time causing problems that last for weeks to months. We are in the middle of one of those screw-ups now. You never know what model you'll get when you order from them. The exception is when you order an HR34. I'd also get an HD DVR for your 2nd receiver to give more options... But I wouldn't let them install anything but an HR24 there.. The HR21/22/23 receivers are very painful to use because of their speed - in my opinion anyway. The HR20 used to be faster but DirecTV's latest update seems to have hit the HR20s the hardest.

If you do the deal now you'll need to expect at least some trouble with the receivers until they fix the troubles they just inflected on many of the receivers by changing to an HD GUI. Hopefully they'll get them straightened out but until they do there's a pretty good chance you'll experience some or all of the troubles you can find in multiple threads here.

Dish Network also has hardware troubles here and there (I had Dish for years before I switched) but in my experience Direct takes 'engineering' to a new low. It's really too bad... If they could get the hardware issues worked out (and stop doing updates that screw them up!) DirecTV could/would be at the top the game in just about all areas. They had the chance with the HR34 to get a good clean start but seem to be repeating their history of screwing up the software there also...

There will be people that post here claiming all is great and that the receivers are just fabulous - my advice would be to read all the posts - not just one side or the other! For some reason there are certain people that can only bash DirecTV and some people that cannot admit DirecTV has any problems whatsoever. The truth is in there somewhere!

5. Apr 9, 2012 #5 of 43
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It seems strange that those channels are considered by some as "basic HD" now....

6. Apr 9, 2012 #6 of 43
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Great work researching the offers..you are spot on..there are many, but it does look like the AAA offer would be best ($10/20mths). Not eligible for referral stack, but can refer others once activated. Once order is placed (but prior to install AND prior to submitting rebate), call back for Customer Support to check if you qualify for additional $5/12 or $5/24..couldn't hurt. :D

The HMC/HR34 is currently the best DVR on the market, bar none..able to record 5 channels at one time (no PTAT or channel restrictions)..ability to stream 3 recordings simultaneously (to 3 other receivers/tvs) while recording up to 2 additional channels or watching up to 2 live tv channels (pip if desired, incl side-by-side option). With excellent credit, $99 one time charge up front..1st monthly invoice never charged up front, always mailed 5-7 days after install/activation..also no telephone line required..

In summary, if 4 tvs, you would have 8 tuners total..1 HMC and 3 HD rcvrs..as an option to streaming 3 recorded shows, you could theoretically watch live tv on all 4 tvs and record 4 channels at the same time :)

Any more questions, feel free to ask. :D

Good luck and have fun with it!

-=K=-

7. Apr 9, 2012 #7 of 43
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I have no idea what to call them, but "basic" is easier than listing the 30-something channels everybody but D* has in their low/mid packages (basic?). If you have a better term, I'll use it.

8. Apr 9, 2012 #8 of 43
    robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    directv doesn't have basic HD that most people probably would never miss, bbca in hd would be nice, but uverse doesn't have that either.

Dish however doesnt have abc family in HD and from what I'm hearing doesn't have CW in HD which is a far bigger ommission than anything directv is missing.

from what I've heard, the best deal is AAA plus stacking the referral discount which many people have been able to do.

9. Apr 9, 2012 #9 of 43
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    You need to decide what is most important to you:

Is HD picture quality important to you?

Then go with DirecTV, they offer superior picture quality.

Do you want the most HD channels?

DirecTV has more HD channels than Dish Network.

10. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    ROTFL
    Don't listen to this guy

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think most people really can't tell the difference. Can some? I'm sure, just like there are some that can tell the difference between a 192kbps mp3 and a 256.

As for channels, most don't care about the channel count. The question is, who has the HD I care about?

12. Y2J

Y2J New Member

Apr 8, 2012
    I called for the AAA offer and they said that no other discounts can be used including the referral one when using the AAA discount.

If anyone has been able to redeem both when signing up, can you please tell me how you did it or if you have a contact person or number to get both done? Thanks.

13. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Why? Is he wrong?

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Which takes all of 5 seconds per show. Of my 43 series links, only three are network prime time. Again, this is a personal preference of the user.

15. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    He is just a Dish sub trying to justify that decision. The facts don't lie. DirecTV beats Dish Network hands down.

16. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    Justify my decision?i just signed another 2 year contract with dish(Love my Hoppers/Joey):hurah:
    easiest decision ever

17. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Hoosier, you know very well that each has a heck of a lot of HD channels the other doesn't. Plus Dish hardware is faster and cheaper at the moment. Those are the facts. Who wins depends entirely on your requirements. Since my requirements include BBCA, TCM, G4, etc., and responsive DVR's, DirecTV loses, hands down. If my requirements included Sunday Ticket, Disney, and 5 tuner DVR's, DirecTV would win. Dish has the channels and the hardware I want, and DirecTV doesn't. It's that simple. No need to be nasty about it.

18. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    To this day, I can't see any difference and I am a very happy DirecTV subscriber.

I go to friends houses with Dish and it just....I mean, looks the same.

Now, compare DirecTV to Cox TV down here? Now THAT is a big difference. Cox is embarrassing.

19. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    I didn't see the word "better" when describing Dish's equipment. My in-laws have Dish for their Chinese programming. They are on their 5th dvr in 4 years. They've also had to replace other Dish equipment over that same period.. I still have my original HR 20's.

20. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I've had much better luck with Dish than DirecTV in that regard. I never had an HR20 last over 2 years (OTA died on one and drive died on another). My 722k was still going strong after 2 years when I replaced it with a Hopper. It's way too early to tell how long that one will last. Longevity isn't really a factor for me anyway since the equipment is leased on either system. At least I can easily transfer all my recordings and settings to any replacement with Dish. I can't do that with DirecTV.

Reliability aside, there are lots of things I like about DirecTV that I wish Dish had, like quick tune, bookmarks, skip-to-tick, per channel schedule listing, more program info and better energy efficiency. On average I think both have very good hardware and very good service. Software is so-so on both. DirecTV is slow and Dish Hopper is buggy.