1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best free popup blocker?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by IndyMichael, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Apr 4, 2004 #1 of 21
    IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Never had a problem with popups, til spinchat.com started using them. Guess it's time for me to get a blocker, and would like imput on what the best free one is.

2. Apr 4, 2004 #2 of 21
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  3. Apr 4, 2004 #3 of 21
    cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    If you're a big fan of Google like I am and you have a Windows machine with IE, I love the Google toolbar! It blocks 99.9% of all popups. Plus it has other great features like AutoFill and the search feature built right in! You can get it at:

http://toolbar.google.com/

4. Apr 4, 2004 #4 of 21
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    The best one I've found is the one built in to the Firefox web browser. Since I switched to using Firefox instead of IE, I have far far fewer problems on my computer.

5. Apr 4, 2004 #5 of 21
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Use Firefox as your browser instead of Microsoft IE> No more popups.

6. Apr 4, 2004 #6 of 21
    Orcatek

Orcatek Legend

May 1, 2003
    Opera is another good browser that will kill pop-ups.

I use the google toolbar.

7. Apr 4, 2004 #7 of 21
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Yahoo has one also in their free toolbar.

8. Apr 4, 2004 #8 of 21
    Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have tried using both Firebird, Opra and other browsers in the past, which are faster then IE and no pop-ups, however I have had problems getting flash and some websites to work properly with other browsers and I end up returning to IE. I have added a Netscape tool bar to IE that includes a pop-up blocker that works well for me.

9. Apr 5, 2004 #9 of 21
    Pepper

Pepper Legend

Mar 8, 2004
    I hear Windows XP SP2 will include pop-up blocking in IE.

10. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Go with google!

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    www.myie2.com which uses the Internet Explorer engine also includes a pop-up blocker as well as a content blocker.

12. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Google's toolbar get's my vote.

13. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Being a network admin and fighting to keep pc's clean all day,, those of you choosing google and yahoo,, you might also want to get a spyware checker,, both of those extra toolbars are known to be loaded . Spybot Search and Destroy is a good free one and they have regular updates. As far as a free popup killer,, dont know a good free one. There is one included with Zone Alarm Pro, that works like a charm. ZA has also been rated the best firewall program produced and there is a free version.

14. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    It can be a little more tricky getting Flash and stuff installed, but I had no problem. I have the latest version of Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime plugin, Acrobat Reader, Java, RealMedia plugin... all working perfectly in Firefox (used to be called Firebird). I rarely encounter a webpage now that doesn't work.

15. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Google Toolbar gives feedback to google (page ranking), only if you enable advanced functions. There is no spyware included with it.

http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

BTW, I run spybot regularly.

16. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    You are right on that,, only if the advanced functions are enabled.

17. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

If you need help in getting JAva or Falsh to work in Firefox PM me.

18. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    If u must use IE for poorly coded pages (front page) then use the Google toolbar which doesn't do anything in a hidden or suspicious way. If you want fast browsing along with good pop up blocking then use the latest firefox browser.
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/index.html
    That link should get you going with mozilla firefox.

If you want the absolute fastest browser then my vote is with Opera, but it has a different "feel" to it.
    http://www.opera.com/

I wouldn't recomend any extra software running besides your browser, it just seems to come along with it's own problems.

If you decide to use firefox be aware that you will have to allow popups on certain secure login addresses that actually don't have popups. Hotmail and Aol based webmails are this way along with some other sites.

19. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I started getting pop-ups again on EI with the Netscape tool bar with popup blocker turned on so on Friday I loaded Firefox on to my family's laptop and it does work great and had no problem loading flash unto FireFox, however I tried once again to do this on my desktop with Firebird and I still can not make it take. So far I have really enjoyed using Firefox with no problems, except on the Car and Driver website, it has a scrolling news box that does not seam to work properly but this is no big deal since I prefer going straight to the news page anyway.

I want to upgrade my desktop from Firebird to Firefox and I downloaded the installer but can not get it to work, I did not have any extensions to disable on Firebird, how do you change the profile on Firebird that the Mozila website instructs you to do when their is no extensions to disable?

20. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002