1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HDTV?

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by williammck, Aug 18, 2010.

1. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for an around $1000 46"-50" LCD or Plasma. What are the best brands? I've heard Samsung has problems with the capacitors, so I don't want a Sammy. Is the Sony EX500 good? It got good reviews.
    Thanks!

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Sony owner here. Whatever you decide to go with have the set calibrated. Big difference in picture quality when calibrated.

3. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    How do you calibrate, what to do it with?

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There are two ways. You can hire a professional like I did but it's costly or purchase a calibration DVD. Calibrating fine tunes your blacks, whites, color, sharpness, ect.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
  6. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I have a panasonic and love it! I had it broken in and calibrated before I got it and I have nothing but praise for it.

7. BenJF3

BenJF3 Godfather

Sep 12, 2008
    Agreed - Bang for the buck in PQ = Panny Plasma. Recently got a 65V10 THX calibrated and LOVE IT!

8. jponte55

jponte55 Cool Member

Apr 21, 2009
    RISING BLACKS

Just kidding. I have a 58" S1 (12g) and before that a 50" 60u (9g). I also have a few Vizio LCDs in varous rooms. All fantastic displays. When people ask me about LCD vs Plasma I always tell them they should view them in an environment similar to their home if they can before buying. They just have such a different look especially when engaging the motion interpolation features on LCDs.

Plasma
    Pros: Smooth, accurate, great blacks, good value, viewing angle, motion resolution
    Cons: Reflective, image retention, dirty whites

LCD:
    Pros: bright, sharp, saturated
    Cons: poor motion (bluring), blooming (LED backlit), blue-ish less satured blacks (non-LED balcklit), viewing angle, motion resolution

9. BenJF3

BenJF3 Godfather

Sep 12, 2008
    I've done almost exclusivly Pannsonic Plasmas on my HT installs and have yet to have a complaint or see rising blacks to the effect being reported. I personally just don't like LCD's for TV viewing because the colors are not natural. A phosphor based display looks best (closest to a CRT) and I've had motion blur issues with LCD. Even my wife noticed the viewing angles in stores and she generally doesn't care about these things.

I'm not denying that some Panny's have a black level issue, but from my research the larger sets have been much more tolerant. That and all Plasma's have some type off black adjustment over time.

10. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    So, would Plasmas be better in a home theater/gameroom for movies, sports, games etc?

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Plasmas are great in rooms where you have controlled lighting. They are often a problem in brightly-lit rooms and/or with windows as glare can be excessive due to the glass front.

Most folks have their "main" TV in a living/family room that is obviously used for a lot of other things and can't practically be made into a dark theater. That's one of the reasons LCDs are so popular, despite some drawbacks. But if you have a dedicated room, or if you are otherwise willing to control the lighting, plasmas are hard to beat.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    As you live in a warm/hot area consider your cooling load. A good rule of thumb is a set that draws 500 watts will require approximately 5000 btu's additional cooling. Plasma sets, as a rule, are more power hungry.

13. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Any way to get wires through a wall, or do I need to hire someone to do it for me? Here's the plan: I need to get audio/video wires through the wall. In the closet behind where we are going to put the TV, there is a hole where other wires come through. There are speakers above the TV, so wires go there already. How easy would it be to run more cables?
    Thanks!

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's hard to say without seeing it, but if you have a closet directly behind the wall, it may be very easy. But wall-fishing is a mystery until you do some surveying with a stud finder.

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As long as you have good cable management skills you should be able to do the work yourself.

16. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Good point! I have the livingroom you describe (slinding glass doors) and an older 50" LCD. I don't have major glare issues now, and I'm just starting to shop for an upgrade. I want better blacks than I have now, so I was looking at plasma. But now you got me thinking about a better and bigger LCD instead.

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    LCD/Plasma: In my opinion the only strong point current model plasma's have over current model LCD's is viewing angle. Unless you can eliminate the glare you might do better with a LCD.

18. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008

Yea, I'm not sure I couldn't eliminate glare. I mean I know light reflects at 90 degrees, but I'm thinking I'm still susceptible to glare. Here's my layout. Sliding glass doors at the top. The viewing angles are not extreme. Behind the smaller couch is a cut-out to the kitchen, with even more chances for glare. Currently the 50" LCD sits on a rack. So I'd get no benefit from a thin TV. If I knew that I could get incredible picture on a DLP I could even consider that (and save $).

Attached Files:

19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Looking at your set up and you stating viewing angles are not extreme your concern for glare should narrow your choice to a high end LCD. When calibrated properly the picture quality is awesome. On my set even SD channels look good.

20. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Agreed, thanks. My PQ now, even with the older LCD, is pretty decent, just not as vibrant as my friends' plasma. I recently replced the bulb, too. When I upgrade this one moves to the bedroom. Looking forward to that.

If others care to post LCD 55"+ recommendations, please do! I plan to pull the trigger in October.