Best indoor antenna for VHF station

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by enjoywatchingTV, Dec 21, 2018.

1. enjoywatchingTV

enjoywatchingTV New Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Hello all,
    I live in the Philly market and I have hard time receiving WDPN:
    WDPN-TV - Wikipedia

I did discover locast.org started Philly market service and surprisingly carries the main signal (MeTV) of WDPN. However, I'm a bit greedy and want to get all it's subchannels includes Decades TV, and be able to record them, so my best option is getting it over the air. I'm not far from the Roxborough TV farm. I would like an indoor antenna as I'm in an apartment, and I was wondering if any are suitable for VHF digital channels?

Is the Smartenna+ advisable, or something else?
    Buy Smartenna+ Amplified Indoor TV Antenna | Channel Master CM-3001HD

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Channel 2 is the longest wave VHF channel. In order to build a 1/2 wave tuned antenna for channel 2 reception it must be 2.5 meters long, tip to tip or about 97 inches. That is your first problem.

The second one is that Channel 2 is fraught with interference from all sorts of common ordinary things especially around city life, like power transformers , air conditioner motors, all sorts of stuff generates RF noise at or near 57 MHz where channel 2 resides.

Being near may present problems also, in the form of multipath, that makes multiple versions of the signal arrive at your tuner slightly out of phase, sometimes cancelling themselves out. Re-orienting or moving your antenna may help with this problem.

Few solutions here just reasons for your troubles.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Reconsider to put your VHF antenna outside... under window, at a porch, etc

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That has some good specs but it appears to be pretty expensive.
    I bought one of these for my mother. FLATenna: Best Rated Indoor Antenna | Channel Master
    She had TV stations scattered around her about 16 miles away. This got all of them with very good pictures. It is so cheap that if it does not work for you it could just be tossed. I put hers in/on a window.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Even Channel Master leaves me a little skeptical about such a small antenna being able to capture such a long wave, like riding the pipeline in a skateboard.

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Stay away from those fancy "HDTV Antennas" that many times are either optimized for UHF only or only go down to VHF-Ho. If you're close enough to the Roxborough farm get a classic VHF Rabbit Ears/UHF Loop combo, although all bets are off if your apartment faces the opposite direction.

I don't know how old your building is, but if your building still has a master antenna on the roof, you might have a functioning connector somewhere in your apartment, which should also be good for VHF 2 since during the analog era CBS was on VHF 3.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018