1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Procedure for Encouraging D* To Correct My Bill

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ShawnL25, Dec 12, 2008.

1. ShawnL25

ShawnL25 Icon

Mar 2, 2007
    I have a problem. I have been with DirecTV since early 1996 ( I was a USSB only customer before that) and have subscribed to Premier for the majority of my time as a subscriber. In addition I have the protection coverage, HD, and HD extra pack. My dvr fee has always been included in the premier pack. Even now I am grandfathered in. So as you can imagine I was a bit surprised to see it on my bill as a charge of $5.99. Naturally I called customer service and alerted them to their mistake. I was told that I was getting it free by mistake and that I would now have to pay for it. After a fruitless attempt to explain that I was grandfathered in, I asked to speak to a retention level csr. She immediately knew what I was talking about but refused to reverse the charges. “Why?” I asked. As it turns out back on September 13 after hurricane Ike ripped my dish off my roof and into the neighbors yard I called D* and set up a installer to come out and mount me a new dish. Evidently D* took it upon themselves to suspend my service until I got back up and running. When the Dish was installed in October I called D* and they said they had to resend the signal, makes since as I had been without power or a dish signal for sometime. Because the account was suspended, I can not be regrandfather. I have multiple issues with this, if it was suspended why did I not received some sort of credit or partial month payment. It seems to me that my misfortune is being used as an excuse to charge me more and suspend my service so my contract last longer. I kept asking for someone higher up to talk to but no one will help me. What do I do now?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd say, ask to be transferred to a supervisor, and a supervisor after that. Be polite but firm. You seem to be a victim of circumstance as well as a long-term subscriber and when you get to the level where people aren't bound by policy, I'm hopeful that it will be possible to get your bill fixed.

3. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    I suggest you send an email to Ellen Filipiak who is the VP of Customer Service.

4. ShawnL25

ShawnL25 Icon

Mar 2, 2007
    At this point the problem seems a bit minimal to bother her with. It is a luxury to be able to go to the top when something goes very wrong and I would be afraid I was abusing the system to go straight to the top.

That said I have continuously requested a supervisor and when I got to the alleged top the "top level csr" refused me as well.

5. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    "That said I have continuously requested a supervisor and when I got to the alleged top the "top level csr" refused me as well"

Email Ellen...

6. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    You should definitely escalate this to Ms. Filipiak's office. You won't really be communicating with her; the issue will be handled by one of many specialized CSR's who works in that office. Those CSR's have a lot more authority than those on the front-line, even more than supervisors. This is the proper channel and the correct way to escalate your problem. While $5.99/mo may seem trivial, multiply it by how many years you think you'll stay with D* and it becomes significant. Not only that, do you think D* would ignore and trivialize the issue if you simply shorted them $5.99/mo in your payment? Of course not!

7. freerein100

freerein100 Legend

Dec 13, 2007
    I had an H20 replaced that was part of a recall and that triggered me into having to pay the DVR fee. I was told any change will trigger the DVR fee

8. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    ANY change will not trigger the fee. It is when the account has been "rebuilt" where your package was removed and readded and the CSR does it wrong when putting it back.... They CAN and WILL fix it.....it's just getting to the right person who can and will....LOL.

9. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    I just got an automated call from D*. The message said that I had been incorrectly billed the monthly DVR fee for some time (because I already had purchased "lifetime" TiVo many years ago, I think) and that a credit for all the months I'd been billed the DVR fee would show up on my account.

I just checked the account online and I have a credit of $319.35. I didn't think that "lifetime DVR" still applied to me after I sold that DTiVo box several years ago (and sold the lifetime TiVo with it).

10. ShawnL25

ShawnL25 Icon

Mar 2, 2007
    I got it taken care of today thanks everybody for the encouragement