1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best response to Abercrombie CEO's remarks I've seen

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, May 16, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ok, maybe it was the guy that went to a thrift store, bought all the A&F clothing and passed them out to the homeless, but I got this email blast from the CEO of another clothing company. I've removed their name to not sound like I'm advertising for them.

[SIZE=10pt]our customers believe Brains reign over Beauty. You are what you carry, regardless of your size or popularity. Our customers do not play follow the leader, especially when the leader is trying to define himself as one of the "cool people." Do you remember the kids in your high school that were considered cool? Where are they now? Who would you rather get to know and respect now that we're done with cafeterias and proms? I can't believe there is any need to say this all these years later, but yes, there is life after high school and yes, we at ______ embrace our customers in all shapes and sizes. Brains and personality matter more.

So, thank you geeks, jocks, cheerleaders and drama club members past and present. Thank you world travelers and day-trippers. Thank you moms, dads, sons, and daughters. Thank you skateboarders, gamers, poker players and Battlestar Galactica fans. You're our people.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please, please, please... love yourself for who you are and who you become on life's journey. [/SIZE]

2. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I read A&F's CEO comments. That be the same philosophy employed at Old Skinny. They also do not have clothing in large sizes.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I've noted adulthood has been a great leveler in regards to high school classmates I may have been envious of back in the day.

Divorce, cancer, vile spouses, horrid children, bankruptcy, estrangement, addiction seem to have weighed more heavily on 'the cool kids' than it did on the rest of us.

Any high schooler contemplating suicide should really stick around and wait for scores to even themselves.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Agreed. Plus maturity generally helps. I was one of the uncool kids in school, had my share of issues being picked on, partly since it was uncool to be into computers. When I went to the local university branch, I was untouchable as I was the one who could help them with a printer jam or their last hope to get their paper to be read on a floppy that they carelessly tossed in their bag. It was actually very nice.

Some just never grow out of it. But even Jobs wasn't this bad.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    No idea what this thread is about, but Apples are for pies and cider.

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Old Navy? They carry bigger sizes.

8. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    It's been awhile since I shopped there. The Mrs and I went because ON had cargo shorts on sale. I saw nothing over a large waist size (38"), that may have changed since then.

9. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The problem some of us have is never addressed either: the sizes are all too large.

I used to shop at Petite Sophisticate and Casual Corner for work suits. Both are gone, and most stores don't have a petite section any longer. The ones that do, are out of my price range - Nordstrom, etc.

But yet I somehow fit into the "cool" category because I am small. I guess that only works if I want casual clothes.

10. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If you're still interested, check their website.

11. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    [​IMG]

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've been trying to think why he looks like someone. I think it's a cross between Christian Slater and Clay Aiken with some bad work done.

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    OK, I love mysteries. I understand that you didn't want to advertise for them, but then I had to look up the full statement. It turns out I'd never heard of them but when I saw this I had to go to their web site:

[​IMG]
    This does not mean I endorse their products or that I have even tried their products, which I haven't since I didn't know they existed. But I thought this item was clever and we of the geeks and nerds category need to know it exists:

[​IMG]

14. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I can't remember for sure, but I think Scottevest is the same company one of my favorite authors, Brad Thor, recommends. He uses their products for tactical reasons and references them in his books - but not by name. The name came out in a Facebook post.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yep, that's it. I have a few of their products, and while some of their demos are a bit over the top (I wouldn't carry a laptop in a jacket), good stuff if you stay organized. If you are the type that never puts something in the same pocket, good luck :)

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What an advertising bonanza for Scottvest! And, unfortunately, A&F gets a boost, too, though hopefully not much. That store used to be solid, even retro back before retro was a word. Sometime ago, they went AWOL and morphed into an obnoxious under 20 snob store.

Anyone recall the good Abercrombie's?

17. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I got my Scottevest windbreaker jacket on ThinkGeek.com

Nowadays, among it's other uses (since it has over 20 pockets), it's my air travel jacket. *Everything* goes into that jacket. Wallet, kindle, iPhone, iPod, keys, camera, memory cards, batteries, etc. When I'm in the security line, all I have to do is take off my jacket, belt and shoes and I'm good to go for the scan. Nice, quick, efficient.

I *love* that jacket!

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think the change happened around 1988. Usually if I'm in the mall, I go to the other side of the walkway to get past their store.