Best speed for a busy house?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Dad1717, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Jul 6, 2019 #1 of 12
    Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    We have about four phones, video games, a TV or two that might live stream at once. What's the best speed for us? We have Fios now, but it's a bit slow. Wanted to look into AT and T if they could bundle it with DTV. Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated.

2. Jul 6, 2019 #2 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Go to this web site and do a speed test and post the results.
    speedtest.net This should be an outfit called Ookla

3. Jul 6, 2019 #3 of 12
    Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    That is a helpful site, but what should the speed be? Does anyone have AT&T?

4. Jul 6, 2019 #4 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What speed do you have ?

5. Jul 6, 2019 #5 of 12
    Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Download speed is 51. Upload is 61.

6. Jul 6, 2019 #6 of 12
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Since you are describing (in your first post) your current connection as "slow" you should be looking for "more".
    It is strange to see more upload than download ... were other users active at the time of your speed check?

(Your bill may reveal the level that you are paying for if others were using the connection at the time of the speed check.)

7. Jul 7, 2019 #7 of 12
    ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    James let me step in here for a moment. I had 50 Mbps and Verizon increased it to 100 Mbps for being a long term customer - at no extra charge. My router model is the all black fios-g1100. <---- If I looked at it correctly. I have my ADT alarm system, my Genie receiver and the Optical Network Interface that brings the fiber to the home connected directly to the router. That's it! Now the wifi part of the router - I have all these items connected to WiFi - my Samsung Smart tv, Chromecast, my smartphone and tablet. Then if a guest comes over their smartphone. That is a lot of devices. One important piece of information - all of this stuff worked like a charm before Verizon gave me the courtesy upgrade. I would look at your setup and the type of router you are using. Write down everything in your home that is using your internet including all your children's devices. Who knows all the gadgets they have. Call customer service and tell them about all the devices you have connected and your issue with slow internet. They will offer you some comparable speeds and plans. Take your time to absorb and understand your offers. Discuss them with your family. Make a decision then call back. I bet you will be happier in the long run.

jimmie57 likes this.
  8. Jul 7, 2019 #8 of 12
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    As James says, it's unusual to have a faster upload speed than download. My understanding is that with FIOS they actually may be the same, whatever the correct numbers are supposed to be for you. (Could be wrong about that, though.)

In any case, your speeds are quick enough that you should not be 'noticing' a 'slowdown' at any particular device unless there is some heavy use going on in more than two places at once in your home. Tell us exactly why you think things are slow. What are you doing when you notice this, and how is that device (or devices) connected?

I'm going to speculate here a little before you answer - are most of your devices are connected using WiFi? If that is the case, it may not be your FIOS connection - you may need to diagnose your WiFi network.

Also - you have 'about' 4 phones? You don't know how many? Are they voip phones, or landlines? In either case, I doubt they are contributing to your perceived slowdown, unless in the case of a voip system your router is setup improperly.

EDIT - Got to thinking - your phones may be cell phones connected wirelessly to your network - let us know if that is the case.

jimmie57 and compnurd like this.
  9. Jul 7, 2019 #9 of 12
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Agreed. This sounds more like a wireless network in the house issue and not internet speed

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've got FiOS 50/50 service but I only see that on a direct connection to any of my devices. Speed falls off as the device gets farther from the router. Upstairs TV is more like 25/25, which is still satisfactory. There's only two of us here and it's unusual to have both of us streaming at the same time.

11. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    I have ATT....just got the fiber optic in our neighborhood...my plan is the 100 which on the ookla is riight at 120 upload and 120 download...is only $50 per month since have Directv but not bundled and will not either...love the speed!! They have the 333 which is 300 gigs for $70 and the 1000 gigs for $100 per month.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Concur with probable diagnoses that the OP has a Home WIFI network issue rather than a FIOS one, although more is always better on speed.

Speedtests should be done with an ethernet connected device (computer) for accurate testing.

Maybe what the OP needs to do is invest in some ethernet wiring and some more Wireless access points. Ethernet to devices that don't move much and to access points.