Best streaming service for sports

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by garn9173, Jan 24, 2020.

1. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    A good breakdown of sports channels on the streaming services. Vidgo is not included nor there is no mention of Sling not carrying the Fox branded RSNs, NBC Sports Chicago or BTN.

What's the best streaming service for a sports fan? 2020 edition

2. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    What would really be beneficial is what teams you will get with each service - through their regional sports network.

Because I'm betting that if you live in a fringe area, where you're considered part of a team's territory (i.e. St. Louis Cardinals) but don't live in the area that gets their regional sports network (Foxsports Midwest) then you are going to be SOL.

3. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Pretty much this is the problem with the streaming services and where PS Vue actually stood out over the rest was Sports. PS Vue's Elite package was the most comprehensive sports based package out there as it had all the national sports channels (including beIN Sports and Eleven Sports), all the college sports channels except Pac-12 Networks and Fox College Sports and all the Fox Sports RSNs (including YES) and NBC Sports RSNs (availability based on address.) Fox Soccer Plus could be added on for $15/mo and their $10 Sports Extra pack had ESPN Bases Loaded/Goal Line, MLB Strike Zone and NFL Red Zone. AT&T TV Now's grandfathered Go Big package was also another very good comprehensive sports based package. Only major omission is NFL Network, Pac-12 Network and beIN Sports.

With the current lineup of streaming services it really comes down to what you want the most. National sports vs pro sports vs college sports vs soccer. While I agree with that article mostly when it comes to AT&T TV Now they are mistaken about the Xtra package. This is how I would rank each service based on overall line-up of sports channels and price.
    1. YouTube TV - $50/month
    2. Hulu - $55/month or $70/mo with Enhanced Cloud DVR + Unlimited Screens Bundle add-on. (**Note for Chicago baseball fans this would be your #1 option as of 2/18/20 since Hulu+Live TV has a deal in place to carry both Marquee and NBC Sports Chicago.)
    3. AT&T TV Now - Max $80/month (**Note for Chicago baseball fans this would be your #2 option as of 2/18/20 since AT&T TV Now has a deal in place to carry both Marquee and NBC Sports Chicago.)
    4. Sing TV - $60/month ($45/mo for Orange + Blue and $15/mo for Sports Pack)
    5. fuboTV - $55/month - Currently the best for soccer fans.
    Table overview of packages and sports channels:
    StreamingSports2020.png
    Last Edited: 2/18/2020 @ 12:22 AM EST - Added Hulu as a provider for Marquee, amended top 5 ranking of streaming services to reflect this.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Nice chart. Note that you can also add NBA League Pass to YTTV for $40/month or $124 for the 2019-2020 season.

techguy88 likes this.
  5. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    They pretty much aline with what's available on cable or satellite. Heck I even had a recent Timberwolves/Pacers game on three RSNs on YTTV, Timberwolves feed on FS North and Midwest+ and Pacers feed on FS Midwest. I still have no clue why or how Iowa is claimed by the Pacers.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  6. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    But at least with DirecTV you can buy the Sports Pack and get the games that you're suppose to be getting. I don't really like that policy (if I'm in St. Louis Cardinals "territory" then I should get the St. Louis Cardinals games... otherwise, why am I in St. Louis Cardinals territory?). Why am I having to pay an RSN fee when I can't get my "regional" sports teams games?

I don't really watch the NBA... but this also applies with the NBA. In West KY - you can't get the Memphis games (without the Sports Pack)... but you can get the Cleveland games! 150 miles to Memphis... 500 miles to Cleveland... yes, Cleveland is much more of a regional team for this area than Memphis!

And going by that chart... it doesn't fully explain everything. For example, Hulu and Youtube both give you Foxsports Midwest (where the Cardinals play) and Foxsports Ohio (where the Reds play... which is also considered a team in my "territory"). With DirecTV I get Foxsports Ohio and Foxsports South. So with Hulu and Youtube which regional sports networks do I get? And if it's not all 3... how do I get the ones not mentioned? If Youtube only gives me Foxsports South and Foxsports Ohio but gives no way to get Foxsports Midwest... I'm SOL for Cardinals games.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That would be an error on the part of YTTV. Iowa should get the Timberwolves feeds.

8. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Sure! I would also need to add it to AT&T TV Now because they are also selling NBA League Pass Premium for $40/mo. I also forgot to add Marquee to the table which at this time is only being carried by AT&T TV Now at launch. As of this post Marquee doesn't have deals in place with fuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV (since that's tied to Dish) and YTTV.

mjwagner likes this.
  9. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    It was that way on HuluLive Live and I've seen Pacers games on Mediacom and during my days with Dish (Fox Sports Midwest/Midwest+).

2019-20 Local TV and Radio Listings

10. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    That chart is a general overview for more local specific information its best to check with each provider as who gets what makes no sense in some cases. However in the life of an RSN fan who carries what RSNs is not clear cut as it may seem when you compare cable vs satellite vs streaming.

With D* think of the ability to add additional RSNs with professional teams via the Sports Pack is like cable's equivalent of adding on a digital tier to get access to significantly viewed out of market locals. Based on your zip code for satellite you are not normally eligible for Memphis games but cable may air them on a regular basis. So... the RSN allows D* to sell the RSN with the Memphis games via the Sports Pack to anyone in these particular zip codes who wants them. Not all zip codes can do this mind you only certain ones in certain situations.

For example if you live in the Huntington-Charleston WV DMA (which includes Southeast OH, Western WV and Eastern KY) you will find that the RSN you want will dictate the type of service you will sign up for. (I kid you not this is actually how these things work in this DMA I should know I have had Suddenlink, Comcast, Armstrong and now DirecTV.)
    • Cable: For WV cable companies outside of Huntington (and Armstrong in OH) they only carry AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh. Suddenlink carries a "Leased Commercial Access" channel on their expanded tier which shows Jewelry Television most of the time. Suddenlink will use this channel to air Cincinnati Reds games (these get priority). AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh will occasionally broadcast select Cleveland Cavaliers games broadcast by Fox Sports Ohio. For the games not carried by AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh, Suddenlink will air them on this channel when nothing else (sports wise) is airing. They will occasionally air Columbus Blue Jackets games.
      • Comcast in Huntington is the only provider carrying both Fox Sports Ohio and AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh together. No cable operator carries SportsTime Ohio which means no Cleveland Indians games on cable. Booo! :mad:
      • I'm not entirely sure how RSNs are handled on most Eastern KY systems but the two very small systems I saw channel lineups for only carried Fox Sports Ohio.
    • Satellite: (I can't really include Dish atm due to their dispute but I would imagine what applies for D* applies for E* normally.) For D* zip codes WV get Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Cincinnati and SportsTime Ohio in Choice or above. AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh is available in Xtra or above. Cool beans for them! :cool:
      • In OH/KY they do not get AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh and need MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass and/or NHL Center Ice to follow their favorite teams. :(
      • On D* Eastern KY zip codes only get Fox Sports Cincinnati and SportsTime Ohio (why is beyond me that's what their online RSN tool says.) :confused:
    • Streaming: Hulu + Live TV and YouTube TV will give both Western WV and Southeast OH zip codes Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Cincinnati (branded as Ohio Plus) and SportsTime Ohio. (This gives customers in this DMA an alternate to satellite if they want Cleveland Indians games since cable companies do not carry these games at all. :)) Eastern KY zip codes in this DMA get Fox Sports South in addition to Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Cincinnati and SportsTime Ohio on both Hulu + Live TV and YouTube TV. ;)
      • Since AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh is not carried on streamers there is no data on how it would be handled vs satellite.
      • For Eastern KY only, AT&T TV Now is excluded because it follows whatever D* does when available which in this case Eastern KY zip codes only get Fox Sports Cincinnati and SportsTime Ohio (again why is beyond me I just go based on the tools but at least there is constancy.) o_O
    So in this DMA if you live in WV and your household has someone who is a Reds fan then someone else is an Indians fan and someone else happens to be a Pirates fan then your SOL and you will have to get DirecTV's Xtra package as it is the only option to get all 3 teams. (Sucks to be you, soz) If all you care about is the Reds and Pirates you can get away with cable or satellite in WV. If you wants Reds and Indians (but no Pirates because you despise the Pirates) you can make due with the streamers.

11. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Chart in Post #3 updated with NBA LP for AT&T TV Now and YTTV and also added Marquee. I hope other streaming services reach deals to carry Marquee looks odd seeing AT&T TV Now being the only streamer carrying a sport o_O

mjwagner likes this.
  12. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    And MLB (in particular) wonders why they are losing viewers!

It's because your stupid regional territory rules get in the way of people actually watching their team!

Now I don't know who is to blame in all of this. And I don't pretend to know what the solution might be. BUT, I do know that pretending that there isn't a problem isn't a solution.

My one hope is that since MLB (mainly the sport I'm interested in) has released regional sports networks back to the teams (or something like that) that maybe Sinclair (did they buy all of the Foxsports networks? Or at least Midwest and Ohio) will come up with some type of in-territory streaming service - which, depending on the price, I could purchase alongside mlb.tv and then get all of the games.

Luckily for me, I'm an out of market Cubs fan. So mlb.tv (and/or Extra Innings) works for most of the games. But when the Cubs play the Cardinals, if those games don't happen to be mirrored on Foxsports South or unless it's a Friday afternoon game and I can catch the replay on mlb.tv later that night.. I'm out of luck watching those games. And the Cubs/Cardinals games are really must watch games for any Cubs or Cardinals fan.

Ideally... MLB would strike down the Reds ownership of this region (because nobody is a Reds fan in this part of the state) meaning that Cubs/Reds games would be on mlb.tv and all I'd have to purchase is a Foxsports package with the Cardinals games.

But if MLB really wants to fix it's viewership problem, it needs to take a long, long look at these team territories and figure out what they can do to open these up. If I were a Cardinals fan in West KY and wanted to watch all the Cardinals games... from best I can tell... my ONLY option (there's no cable where I live) is DirecTV with the Sports Pack. I've got more options to watch out of territory teams (like the Cubs) with DirecTV + EI or mlb.tv.

13. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    The "problem" with regional sports - "local" stations etc. paid franchise fees to TV stations that included exclusive rights to local sports - it isn't quite that simple but that is the basis for a lot of this. Does it make sense today, no but those agreements are supported by laws. Same issue - other than news shows there is little reason for local "broadcast" stations but franchises exist.

14. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Hulu+Live TV will now carry Marquee Sports Network. This now makes AT&T TV Now and Hulu+Live TV as the only streaming services in the region to carry Marquee.

Providers with no deal for Marquee:
    • Traditional MVPDs
      • Comcast/Xfinity (cable; largest MVPD in the region owns competing NBC Sports Chicago in the region)
      • Dish Network (satellite; also in dispute with NBC Sports Chicago this makes D* the #1 satellite service for sports in the region by default.)
      • WOW (cable)
    • Streaming / vMVPDs
      • fuboTV
      • Sling TV (won't have Marquee unless Dish reaches a deal)
      • YouTube TV
    Updated Sports Availability on Streaming Service chart to reflect Hulu & Marquee
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  15. Sandra

Sandra Legend

Apr 16, 2012
    Thank you for the chart, that is extremely informative. Just to clarify, since most of the regional sports channels are blank under Sling does that mean they are not available at all, or not available out of market?

We are in the NY DMA and my main question is if we would be able to watch our teams on our local RSN's...i.e. MSG Network.

Thanks in advance.

Sandra

16. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    Not available at all, Sling is owned by Dish Network.

17. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    The biggest thing that stands out looking at that chart is how much YTTV has covered at the $50 price point.

18. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I think a better question might be...

Is there any streaming service that gives you ALL of the RSNs - regardless of what your home or current zip code is? I'm not talking about actual ball games - I understand the blackout restrictions for that. (And I understand that ALL can be subjective, but for the sake of argument I'm going to say all or most of the RSNs that have a contract with an MLB club).

But I'm saying... for example... as an out-of-market Cubs fan, is there a streaming service out there that will give me the Marquee Network? So I can watch the pre and post games, understanding that the moment the Cubs game starts, it will get blacked out for me. Or Fox Sports Wisconsin with the Brewers games blacked out.

I'm not aware of any such streaming service. Why is that?

Since Sinclair owns most of the Fox Sports regional networks (all?) ... this to me it would seem to be a no brainer... create an OTT solution that delivers all of the Sinclair owned regional sports content... with games out of areas blacked out. If no other streaming provider is going to do this (what's stopping them?) then why can't Sinclair go at it alone?

Despite what all of these MLB teams claim... they can claim areas far out from their city as being within their "local" market. And maybe they're not aware of it... but people in those "fringe" areas do not get access to their games, because YoutubeTV and Hulu and DirecTV without the Sports Pack is not giving those people access to the necessary RSN.

If YoutubeTV gets mad that Sinclair develops an OTT streaming service to stream St. Louis Cardinals games every where within the St. Louis Cardinals "local" area... then maybe YoutubeTV needs to look at why they aren't giving access to Fox Sports Midwest to every zip code within the St. Louis Cardinals viewing area or provide some buffer channel for actually showing Cardinals games to those zip codes.

I WANT MORE and B. Shoe like this.
  19. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Hulu has very recently announced it has reached a deal with Marquee, along with AT&T TV NOW. In replies to questions from Twitter, Marquee says "it has had conversations with YTTV", but no deal has yet to be reached.

There's a thread in the D* programming forum that goes deep into the Marquee Sports Network.

20. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    But you'll only get Marquee if you are within some arbitrary area around Chicago.

You'll only get Fox Sports Midwest if you are within some arbitrary area around St. Louis.

This is true with any of these streaming services. Why?

If I'm in Miami Florida and I want to see the pre and post game shows for the Cubs - my option is DirecTV with the Sports Pack - that's it. Why?