1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best use of RED button during PLAYBACK

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Indiana627, Sep 18, 2007.

What is the best use for the RED button during PLAYBACK?

1. RED should bring up the Delete/Don't Delete dialog box.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Use RED and GREEN buttons to jump to the START or END of a recording or the live buffer, instead of

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    There is a current wish list item that during PLAYBACK, the RED/GREEN buttons should be used to jump to the beginning/end of the program. I have an idea to instead have the RED button bring up the Delete/Don't Delete dialog box during PLAYBACK in order to provide a quick way to delete a program before reaching the end. I know you can press and hold the ADVANCE button to get to the end and then the Delete option will appear, but my press and hold never works well and never takes me all the way to the end - making it difficult to get the Delete option to appear.

So the question is: What is the best use for the RED button during PLAYBACK?"

If RED should be used for delete during playback, then maybe the BLUE/YELLOW buttons could be used to jump to beginning/end during playback.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The RED button is used for interactive features while watching TV (What's Hot and, I'm told, sports stuff as well) and according to previous posts by Earl, it will not be mapped to any other function while watching live TV.

FYI, Blue=mini guide, Yellow=audio, Green=bookmarks in a recording.

3. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    But since we're talking about PLAYBACK of a recorded show and live TV, would this still hold true?

4. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I guess this would not make it possible to have RED jump to the start of the live buffer as is requested in the current wish list item.

5. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Per OP request, the poll options have been changed.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, they have plans for some interactive content, even during playback.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Well assuming the interactive buttons are context sensitive, i.e., only active when needed, it just occurred to me that either POLL option achieves the same result.

Clicking GREEN to instantly jump to END of RECORDING would bring up the end of recording DELETE POP-UP with one click, just like OPTION 1 is intended to do.

/steve

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    So then you are going to have cases... where people use the Red button for one thing.... but then on another recording, they can't do it...

9. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    So this means neither option in this poll is doable, right?

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, consistency should be the key. As it is now, you can press the {STOP} button and then immediately choose to delete the program. I haven't trained myself to do this and simply FFx4 at the end of the program to get to the Delete/Don't Delete pop up.

There are definitely some ideas floating around regarding the Skip-to-Tick (and Skip-to-End) functions .. The current method really stinks IMHO.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Oh they are doable.... but I don't see either one happening.

12. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    LOL, this all started as a request of my wife and I agreed to post about it in hopes of improving the wife approval factor - she still likes the Tivo better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Point taken. Be interesting to see what interactive recording features they might come up with. /steve

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I know it's not a very popular option but people forget that GREEN sets a bookmark in a recording. I actually used this the other day.

15. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I didn't answer the poll b/c neither choice is appealing to me.

However, on this green item, I always forget about bookmarks and then can't seem to get it right when I do it. You have a pause it 1st and THEN press GREEN, right? And then the same when you want to go to a bookmark?

16. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Now what's this?

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Funny. I was just going to run a POLL on this one as well, similar to the recent MINIGUIDE POLL. I think this BOOKMARKS, ACTIVE and MINIGUIDE are probably the 3 least-used features on the HR20 for whatever reasons.

Mark, BOOKMARK allow you to place "JUMP TO" locations within a recording, like to a particular play in a football game, or a spot in the movie you want to return to, but in the meantime, the wife wants to watch it on her own from the beginning.

I think since most folks only watch a recording once, the fact that the HR20 already RESUMES from last playback position obviates the need to set a BOOKMARK most of the time. Just my .02. /steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.