1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way For New Customer to Get the Best Deals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chuckf1, Apr 27, 2017.

1. chuckf1

chuckf1 Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    At the end of May, I'm moving from an apartment where I couldn't get either Direct or Dish, because of all the trees, to a condo which doesn't have that problem.

In order to get the best deal possible is it better to use Direct's website, call them up, or to work through a local Direct authorized seller.

Thank you up front for answers to my question.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd call, God only knows what will happen if you use an "authorized" dealer. Costco has them, haven't been impressed. Calling's a crapshoot, just be prepared to make several calls until you get what you want...Know what you want?

Rich

crodrules likes this.
  3. chuckf1

chuckf1 Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I appreciate the help. I'm that the XTRA package would be the best bang for the buck. While I'm a sports fan, I'm a fan of our local teams, so don't need all the out-of-town sports channels.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you have any 4k tvs? What market are you in?

5. chuckf1

chuckf1 Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I really should have put that info in my original post. I have one TV, a Samsung 4K that's one of the 4K Ready models. And I'm in the Charlotte, N.C market. So it's not a complicated situation that requires a lot of mini-Genies.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If going to a condo, check their regulations about installing a dish. If you have an exclusive use area (patio, deck, yard), then they really can't stop you. But your roof is possibly an area they control and the dish can't be installed there. Look at other units to see if they have dishes. Typically an indicator of issues/non-issues.

DishCSR likes this.
  7. chuckf1

chuckf1 Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Thanks for replying. There are a number of condos around me, in the row of buildings on my street, that have dishes, primarily Direct, on their patios or decks, so luckily that's not going to be an issue.

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well, to bad you aren't in the right market to get a hs17 right now, they are cheaper for one room 4k tv setups. I think solid signal should have them in a about 2 months or so, but they won't roll out nationally till August it seems. I would actually consider going cable or streaming only for a couple months till you could get one if you can get no contract and won't miss anything important since we are almost at the end of the tv season. Otherwise, just get a genie and no you wont have any 4k for a couple years till they will upgrade you for free hopefully.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Certainly not all authorized dealers are the same. There's a local TV store in my parents town, we went in there one day and I noticed that while they sold various cables and such, there were some specific brands missing. I mentioned this to the woman helping us, and she pretty much went on a (polite) tirade against Monster Cable. I liked them immediately. Found out later she was the owner. They did a great job on the install with my parents. But in their situation, bad word of mouth would kill their business.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And you rarely hear anything but bad words about authorized dealers. Doesn't meant they're not out there, I get that.

Rich

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Probably the home theater types are the best, as they're used to more complex installs etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12. chuckf1

chuckf1 Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    If someone knows enough to have a tirade against Monster Cable, then that means they know what they're doing. It's not bad cable....just waaayyy overpriced.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was involved with a large auditorium renovation when I was working and we used a company that specialized in that "type". They did a fine job, but I had to sign the bills and I was stunned by the costs. Nobody seemed to care...

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've railed about just that, the prices. But when I need speaker wires, well, I've always used the Monsterbrand (my spell checker told me that's proper), it's just better, I think.

Rich

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    In an analogue world (which we are in with speakers) speaker wires makes a big difference and monster makes some good ones.

But yeah their prices are high. But so are other higher end companies.

And Heck I've seen speaker wire from multiple companies that can cost upwards of 5k a foot so....

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww, you have to tell us more about those expensive wires, how do they justify the cost?

Rich

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Shielding and how they are built. They use many different size copper and or silver conductors generally and wind different gauges at different rates for time correction. Monster does that too in most their cables.

But these ones im talking abut are designed for very high current, 1k watts sometimes, to drive massive speakers ( say 6 foot tall or more) and I've seen them about 7" thick. Granted they'd work for little bookshelf speakers too...

I once saw some being used to show off a couple speakers at ces. Its hard to describe the speakers. They where about 8 feet tall and had all kinds of odd spherical shapes and had hanging tweeters off a curved arm. I wish it had been back when I had a cell phone camera. To long ago. They where German speakers. So weird looking. But when speakers cost over 50k a pair they start making them look like pieces of art as well and they certainly did that. (And I think these where over 100k a pair). I really need to go to ces again and see if this kind of audio gear is still around. They used all kinds of hotel rooms for the high end speakers.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Still can't imagine how speaker wires could be so expensive, but I've always wondered how Monster could stay in business with their pricing. Best sound system I've ever heard was the Sonar Room's audio system on our ship.

Rich

19. pmayo2002

pmayo2002 AllStar

Mar 30, 2002
    Florida
    Negotiate both year one and year 2.