1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to cancel trial of Premium channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by timothy2001, Oct 24, 2011.

1. timothy2001

timothy2001 Cool Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Is it possible to do this online or does one have to call?

Thanks very much.

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    From my Directv experience, you can signup for premium channels online, but to cancel, you have to call in.

:)

3. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I have always had to call in to cancel.

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Depends. HBO, SHO, etc. you have to call in. HD Extra you can cancel online.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You need to call. I've seen several reports over the years from people who either can't cancel online or if they do their account gets hosed.

6. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    As stated, you must call in. The benefit is they will probably offer a month or 3 free, or add another premium movie channel free, for a month or 3. Also, you could be offered something else free, or discounted. Without asking they gave me $10 off for 6 months for Select Classic, when I downgraded from their choice $60.99 package, plus I kept my Free HD for 24 months $10.00 discount when I went to Select Classic $39.99

7. bengalfreak

bengalfreak AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    Major PITA. I hate the way they make you wait on hold for 20 minutes to cancel.

8. timothy2001

timothy2001 Cool Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Actually I was expecting a tough sales pitch, argument and coercion but CSR was great and I had no issues whatsoever. Maybe since I am in sales my approach clearly spelled out that I was done with those channels.

Thanks for the input all.

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've called 3 times this year to change programming (2 to drop services and 1 to add) and haven't waited on hold more than a few seconds. I either say "change programming" or just ask for an operator when prompted. The CSR's I dealt with were friendly and understanding and I expected and didn't mind the attempts to offer me discounts and such to try to keep me from dropping those services, you never know when there would be an offer you couldn't refuse, but in the end I just dropped the services I inteded to drop.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That would only happen if they were busy...they don't make people wait on hold on purpose.

11. timf

timf Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 21, 2002
    I've had mixed experiences calling to cancel. It seems like sometimes the system routes you to retention in which case they will try and give you special offers, whereas other times I have been connected to regular agents who simply make the requested changes and that's that.

12. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I am surprised by those waiting so long

I always call up DirecTV and immediately say "Cancel" to everything....I eventually am put through to someone who helps me immediately

Maybe I am taking advantage of them but it helps me quickly

13. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I rarely have to wait.........Then again.......Every time I've ever called I tell the recording I want to cancel service so I can get retention.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some people have to call in more than others, its worst if you're on a grandfathered package.

15. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

I don't think it is ANY accident. My guess is they are hoping you change your mind as you are waiting.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Except when I called, I waited less than 2 minutes. And the OP didn't indicate he had to wait any extended amount of time. So it appears that it is NOT a company directive/policy to keep people on line so they don't cancel.

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I usually have a very short wait when calling, which I do 3-5 times a year. Last time I called to add a service, I waited on hold about 20 minutes. They had to have done that purposely and was NO accident because they were hoping I'd change my mind on adding services. Never trust DirecTV!!!!!

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, when I did it the other day my wait time was only a couple minutes.

Maybe the phone systems have a database hooked to them so that when 'certain' callers are on the line, they go out of their way to tick them off??? :lol:

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have no doubt that CRM software "could" be configured to put someone with a certain caller ID into "voicemail purgatory" but I don't believe for a second that DIRECTV works that way.

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If there is such a software, I'm sure AT&T uses it.... :mad: