1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to control 2 Hr-20's in the same room?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by skakusha, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skakusha

skakusha AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    I currently have an HR20-100 and an HR20-700 in the Home Theater Room, along with a Slingbox.

I control the HR20-700 via my Harmony 880 universal remote. Since this box is in IR mode I can also use my Slingbox for that box.

The HR20-100 is in RF mode. When using it in IR mode, there was a lot of conflict between the two boxes . The installers, DTV tech support, and I all tried different set-ups and I could not find anything better then the RF/IR environment mentioned above

All DTV boxes are in a cabinet with glass front. Oddly enough the HR20-100 in RF mode, has the most issues. You have to aim at the box to get proper response. I tried 3 HR20-100's and this was the best box out of all of them.

While my setup is okay, I was wondering if anybody has a different approach. Right now I have the Harmony remote sitting next to a DTV remote for the RF HR20-100. Oddly enough, that boxes remote does not recognize my Yamaha receiver, even though the HR20-700's DTV remote found it well. Now I switch back an forth between remotes, but I always am tied to the Harmony remote for volume control.

Any thoughts?

Anybody experiencing the same issues with the remote set in RF?

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

2. Robert Norman

Robert Norman Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    This thread told me how to do it and it works like a charm.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=94875

One operates as DIRECTV and the other operates as AV1 on the remote.
    Mike

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    switch the Hr20-100 back to IR, then set it to the alternate IR address 00003, like so: First program the AV1 or AV2 device with code 00003.

Cover the HR20-700, with HR20-100 remote in the dtv device, the following directions are for the HR20 on-screen menu

1. menu> settings> setup> remote> receiver mode>

2. tap DIRECTV or AV1/AV2 to reveal both

3. press AV1/AV2, the remote shouldn't work any longer, slide the remote to AV1 or AV2 device which has code 00003 programmed

4. press Done

4. skakusha

skakusha AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    Edmund, thanks a lot. It works awesome. You have truly earned the "Remote Master" title. I now have much better remote control response and I can control the volume on the Yamaha receiver.

Mike, thanks for the links as well. I am using the links and info to program the Harmony 880 and do away with the dual remotes. I will just teach the remote codes to the Harmony.

Now I only need to call Sling and see if the can add a another set of DTV codes so that I can use the Slingbox with both DTV boxes. As much as I would love to be able to do that, that is minor in comparison to what you guys helped me resolve. It has been a headache for a while, and I should have posted sooner.

This takes my three remotes down to two. My next project is to find a good IR/RF converter/remote for the PS3 and teach those codes to the Harmony.

Thanks again!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.