1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to copy a DVD (not a movie)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by sigma1914, Feb 15, 2009.

1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    My dad, a Vietnam war veteran, returned to Vietnam last year. He took many pictures & created a great DVD slideshow set to music with a program called ProShow Gold.
    He wants to burn more copies for others. Is there an alternative to the slideshow software to burn more copies? It can be flaky. He succeeded with Roxio, but he has to keep switching discs (only 1 drive). TYIA.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    most DVD programs can copy it.. just tell it you want multiple copies and it won't keep asking for original disk..

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Right. By telling the computer you want multiple copies, it will keep the image that it copies to the hard drive until you've fed in the same number of blank discs that you told it you needed when you started. No more having to swap in the original to be read each time.

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  5. deltafowler

deltafowler Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 28, 2007
    I'd rip the DVD to an ISO image.

This way, he'll have the image on the PC as a backup and it can be used in the future, should more copies be desired, without needing the original DVD again.

Depending on your version of Roxio, you may be able to accomplish the task with their software.
    If not, then use the program linked above by Grentz.

6. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    This is what I did when I made a DVD for my father in-law's family reunion. I made about 20 copies, and then made a master disk image just in case someone else wanted one later on.

7. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    if you're archiving a video like this (home movies, slide show, etc) is it better to burn the dvd image as a backup, the .iso as raw data, or to compress to an .avi? doing a similar project.

8. deltafowler

deltafowler Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 28, 2007
    I wouldn't compress the video unless it was necessary.
    Either save the parent raw file or do an ISO image.

Of course, the sad reality is that all of these will most likely be obsolete in ten years.

9. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    really, what do you see being the next big thing in "permanent" data storage by then? (no dr. who references, please)

10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I would like to know as well as I have 100's of DVD's as archive for VHS and 8mm home movies, and more to do. Should I wait for something better? :)