1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to get free trials of HBO,Showtime,Starz, or any others?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by anonymous6, Sep 20, 2010.

1. anonymous6

anonymous6 Mentor

Sep 13, 2010
    I know new customers get that 3 months free starz and showtime... but what's the best way for existing customers to get free trials on premium channels?

Do you call in and speak to a general rep? Or do you speak to retentions? I feel weird speaking with retentions with no intention or even any grounds on canceling.

Is it just luck of the draw?

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Just talk to whoever answers. Say something like:

"Hi! I am kinda thinking about ordering (channel), but I am not really sure if it is for me. A friend of mine said he called in and they offered him three months free to try it out. You wouldn't be able to do that same deal for me, would you please?"

Let me know how it goes.

3. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Or, you could try "paying" for some of these channels and establish some sort of "paying customer" record. That way the CSR can give you a "reward" for your paying customer record. When a customer has a freeloader record, their CSR's aren't likely to budge.

4. anonymous6

anonymous6 Mentor

Sep 13, 2010
    I knew someone like you would respond with a message like that. (this isn't the same forum as slickdeals, I know)

I've been getting great deals from DirecTV, and I probably classify as a "freeloader"

I'm gonna try and go with what the first response said. Just not sure what dept to speak to. Going to retentions for something like this would be pointless.

5. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I called in one time and said i was really depressed could you please turn on Showtime for six months? She said she couldn't do it but i could talk to her supervisor and maybe she could do it ,but she sated that she could turn it on for three months.So i got it for three mounths

So just ask and you might receive.

6. anonymous6

anonymous6 Mentor

Sep 13, 2010
    HAHAHA you serious?

Definitely attempting. You just speak to the first rep? I don't know what option to choose in the beginning where it tells you to say something and tries to keep you to an automated machine for as long as possible.

7. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Never ever take No for an answer.

Always be negotiating.

DirecTv takes that tack when they are negotiating with content providers. Why shouldn't subscribers?

In fact, I would also bring up Netflix in your upcoming conservations with customer reps. Tell them that you're a Netflix subscriber, and are considering buying the Roku box for streaming. Ask them if they could credit your account with five PPV movies so that you could better familiarize yourself with what D* offers.

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Couple of years ago I called to activate an HR and during the conversation I asked if they had any promo's available. She kindly turned on Showtime for three months.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Instead of trying to scam free premium service why not just wait for the "free previews" DirecTV offers? For example, from September 30-October 3 the STARZ! channel package is free to all subscribers.

10. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I just say i have serious issues,that usally covers it all.:)

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Really? What is wrong with just asking in a non-threatening to cancel way if they can give you 3 months free? They freakin' hand them out like candy at a parade anyway. A good customer asking for a promo is like when you ask for a hat or something from a company rep.

12. anonymous6

anonymous6 Mentor

Sep 13, 2010
    asking for a hat from a company rep?

That was an interesting comparison... :lol:

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Well you know, I got all sorts of t shirts from different places... I see premium channel promos like any other company swag. :)

14. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    I hope this thread does not make it to the 15th post.

15. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Why?

16. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    Keep reading the first 14 posts in the thread. Over and over again.. Keep reading them. I bet you'll come up with the answer. :icon_dumm

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I haven't seen a free subscription offer from HBO since I signed up for DirecTV 3 1/2 years ago. There have been a couple previews, though.

Showtime free for three months seems to be the most prominent offer.