Best way to get HBO?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tsmacro, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Apr 6, 2019 #1 of 39
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    First of all I don't have a smart tv and I have no desire at the moment to buy a new tv. For that matter I really don't want to buy anything to do this. So what's the simplest way and least expensive way to be able to watch HBO on my tv? I have a laptop, if I get the HBO app on that is there a way to hook it up to my Hopper and/or tv so I can watch it on my tv? I'm only semi-tech literate with all this stuff, so if anyone has any suggestions I appreciate any help, thanks!

2. Apr 7, 2019 #2 of 39
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Look at something like a Roku, Amazon Fire TV and the like. $30 - $100, depending on what device you get, Most of them can use WiFi to connect to your router, but if I had a choice - I would use ethernet to connect to my router. Just make sure that the device you get has an HBO GO app available. These devices plug into an HDMI port, so either your TV needs a free HDMI port, or you need an HDMI switch.

3. Apr 7, 2019 #3 of 39
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    tsmacro likes this.
  4. Apr 7, 2019 #4 of 39
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I was kind of hoping to avoid purchasing something to make this happen. Mostly because I just find it really annoying that basically just because I want to see the last 6 episodes of Game of Thrones I either have to buy something new to hook up to my tv or change my television provider. I've already let HBO know that if I have to do something special just to be able to watch GoT on my TV beyond tune my television to the appropriate channel on the provider that I already have that I will forget they even exist once GoT is over, which not surprisingly has been met by a resounding silence, obviously even though I had been an HBO subscriber for many years they don't care about people like me if I don't want to play by their rules. I also called Dish to see if they knew any tricks beyond "download the HBO app". Even though I got transferred to the supposed next level of help when I called in, they weren't very helpful, I was hoping that maybe even if they didn't know a way to get HBO, maybe they were offering a free Roku or at least maybe a big enough credit on my bill to cover the cost if I did buy one. In the end I ended up with a $10 credit and two free PPV. After being a customer for 15 years I don't know why I expected more.

At this point I was thinking that if there really is no way to do this without making a purchase, maybe I would get a new blu-ray player. I mean those usually have apps on them that allow you to stream through different services right? That and I never have upgraded from my old DVD player, so by buying the blu-ray it would be easier to justify in my mind because it would be something I had been pondering getting anyway even before this whole HBO debacle and I could at least tell myself that I wasn't just buying it so I could watch the last six episodes of GoT, I'd use it for other things too.

5. Apr 7, 2019 #5 of 39
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    If you want to stream from a BluRay player - it has to have the HBO Now app available....

Or you can wait until it is available on DVD/BluRay....

6. Apr 7, 2019 #6 of 39
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    wouldn't buying a Blu-ray player be making a purchase to get the show you want? just like you said you weren't going to do?
    Firestick (if you have amazon prime) or roku would be cheaper.

7. Apr 7, 2019 #7 of 39
    dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    HBO delayed releasing those 7 episodes for an extra year because they knew a lot of people would be like the OP. Word of warning, they will be a GoT Prequel series that will be launched as soon as GoT is over. I have heard that it is the same big budget production show set in the days of the Targaryen king and a teenage Ned Stark, other rumors say it is set thousands of years in the past at time of the creation of the White Walkers. If you like GoT I suggest looking at a more permanent fix for your problem.

8. Apr 7, 2019 #8 of 39
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Saturday Night Live had a nice promo on the GoT spinoffs ...

KyL416 likes this.
  9. Apr 7, 2019 #9 of 39
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    And unless that Bluray player is powered by a major embedded OS where developers actively update apps via an app store instead of a proprietary manufacturer specific OS, it's not really a long term solution if you expect it to continue to have access to HBO Now several years from now. i.e. my Bluray players lost access to YouTube during the great purge/API change, lost access to Hulu and Vudu last year, and even for Netflix it's stuck on the old UI that doesn't support things like up/down ratings or interactive content like Bandersnatch.

DJ Lon likes this.
  10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    No arguement from me - if he wants to stream , a more mainstream solution is to be preferred. If he doesn't want to stream, then it's time to get a new provider...

KyL416 likes this.
  11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I doubt AT&T would license DISH to have a HBO NOW app for their receivers, and DISH receivers cannot use the publicly available apps such as those one can download to an Android or iPhone. So the next step would be to find a box that can receive HBO. Whether that is a DIRECTV satellite box w/subscription, a local cable provider, HBO NOW or another OTT service.

In this case (one show of interest), I'd look for a cheap solution. If you can avoid spoilers, the eventual BluRay release might be the cheapest.
    Finding a player that is multiple use (for example, if you're already planning on buying a new BluRay player) would negate that cost.
    The final episodes air April 15th through May 19th. So a one month subscription would work.

Game of Thrones season 8: When it starts, schedule and how to stream HBO without cable
    "The HBO Now app is available on a number of devices, including mobile devices, smart TVs, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Roku."

Ways to Watch on HBO NOW | HBO

I have a Chromecast device that I bought to "cast" my PC screen on to a TV. It is a simple connection to an open HDMI port and cheap ($35).

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Buy a Fire Stick or Roku stick. Sometimes on sale for $20-$30. Plug it into one of your spare HDMI connections, do the set up and go to HBO and get it. The nice thing about the Firestick is you get HBO on Demand as well as all of their channels live in HD too. The Roku just has the On Demand mode. I have both the Roku and Fire Stick and get HBO on both for no extra cost, just the $14.95 a month.

13. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Luckily I don't care about that. I was already up-to-my-neck-invested in GoT so to speak. Watched every season and now only the last one left. Anything that comes after that I haven't already started in on yet and can ignore easily, especially when the channel doesn't make it convenient for me to watch. After this season of GoT, HBO disappears from existence in my world, so they can show whatever they want and because I won't notice, I won't care.

14. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I thought Firesticks only worked on Smart tv's that are hooked up to the internet already. The only way my tv is hooked up to the internet is indirectly via my Hopper. I'm pretty sure I'd need an actual box that I hook up to my internet and then to my tv.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Amazon Fire TV / Fire TV sticks work just fine on a "non-Smart TV" - but they do need access to the internet (as stated earlier, usually WiFi) and access to an HDMI port on your TV (probably what you're using for your Hopper / Joey). They also need access to power.

compnurd and tsmacro like this.
  16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They didn’t actually delay releasing it, it took that long to film, they where still filming last summer... and takes a lot of post production. They had a late start on getting going with the filming in the first place because it was complex to pre produce, and I believe they wanted a certain time of year for some parts.

And the thousands years ago is the right one, since that comes from the actual show runners for the new series. Wouldn’t call that a rumor. What the other 4 possible spin offs are is up in the air if they will even get made. Pretty sure are definite no gos.

Not sure what you mean by launched either, as they haven’t even started filming or have just started, for the new series, so it’ll be a year or more before it premieres.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As stated in January of 2018 (yep, 16 months ago):
    (HBO boss Casey Bloys) also spoke about the five Game of Thrones spin-off shows currently being worked on at HBO, saying “they’re moving along” but giving away little else.

“We have some really talented writers working on them,” he added. “The one thing I will tell you, which we talked about before, any sort of pilot-to-series [order], there’s not going to be anything on our air for a least a year after Game of Thrones airs.
    SOURCE

18. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I see there's also something called an Amazon Fire Cube, yes I see it's more expensive than the stick, I'm just trying to figure out what makes it worth more and if it's worth the extra money.

19. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Well if HBO really took two years to film 7 episodes of a series with cast, set designs, CGI generation software ready to go and the story mostly written they must have been on a go slow.

If this is true then HBO is going to have a lot of subscribers also taking a one year break. I will wait and see what they say after the finally of GoT.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Have you seen Game of Thrones? Think of each episode as a major motion picture. Not a 90 minute romantic comedy, but a "Star Wars" level special effects creation. The episodes are shorter than movies, so look at this "season" as seven or eight hours of movie. A Harry Potter trilogy. Not something that is cranked out in a year (if you want to keep the quality up).

I expect people will take a break after the finale and resubscribe when a new series is available. Despite it being "event television", Game of Thrones can be binge watched. Subscribe for a month and watch them all ... then unsubscribe. If that is the only thing on HBO that is worth the subscription dollars for a particular subscriber.

dennispap and Khaetra like this.