1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to get ready for a clean Win 7 install

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by wilbur_the_goose, Oct 11, 2009.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Any hints or tricks for getting ready for a clean Win 7 install?

Obvious ones:
    1. Be sure you have your program installation media ready to go
    2. Back up you data files to an external drive for reloading

Others?

2. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    make sure to have your motherboard drivers on hand. Whether it is the CD that came with your computer or even the updated files from the internet... Every computer I've built I've needed the LAN driver to get on the internet because the Windows OS didn't have it.

3. Terry740

Terry740 AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    If you are using XP you're in for a very long day! Microsoft should give Windows 7 to us Vista suckers for free , or at least an substancial discount for all the pain and suffering we have indured.

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    :lol:

It's certainly a big upgrade over Vista. I have two other computers with XP that I'll be leaving as is for now.

FYI, if you're a student you can get it for $30: http://www.win741.com/

5. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    Get a new hard drive.

--- CHAS

6. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    That's a good idea -- that way you can install on the new hard drive & still be able to get to your files on the old one. Otherwise, also be sure to back up your favorites, your email directory, & possibly your cookies. If you use iTunes, you might be able to copy your preferences & devices but if you are coming from XP, the files would go in a different place in Windows 7.

7. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
  8. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    not sure about the e-mail directory....

But, if you install a program called XMarks (supports IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari [i think only on Macs though...]) it will store/save all your bookmarks and passwords on their server so you dont have to worry about writing them all down.

One of the best web browsing addons I've ever used :)

BTW - I have a new 1TB hard drive waiting for Windows 7 Professional to be installed on it :)

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I did an clean install on a Vista Ultimate and it put the old installation - along with the User directories (Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc), and Program files in a Windows.OLD subdirectory (assuming you have the space).

Made it really convenient to move the user stuff back into the active user areas. And if you need anything from Program Files as you reinstall things. I think you can even uninstall from the Windows.old if things really blow up.

Not sure if it does that for XP but I would expect it to.

I'll probably regret it, but I'm going to try an upgrade on my Vista Ultimate Desktop since I have so much installed on it.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Keep in mind that you cannot upgrade from XP to 7, and you cannot downgrade a version of Vista to a lower version of 7. So, for example, if you have Vista Ultimate, you cannot "upgrade" to Win7 Home Pro.

In these situations, you'd have to do a clean install.

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    NOT SO..... - you're both wrong....

Perhaps you haven't read about this....easy.....

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverupgradeassistant.html

People can indeed upgrade from XP to WIN7 (or any other version for that matter...and this is a cheap way to do it ($14.95 until 10/22)

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I am going to do a clean install on my Ultimate machine. For me, the "too much stuff" is the crap Vista has put on it.

13. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    it is almost always better to do a clean install (whether you're installing a Windows, Linux, or Mac OS). It is just easier to start from scratch with a clean slate :)

14. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks - I'm doing a clean install with a pre-install format. Fortunately, I have 3 disk drives, and I've moved all my stuff off the "C" drive to get ready.

Even better, I'm going to 64-bit. I've had Win7 for a few months, now, and it really does work great.

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    No doubt a clean install is always the best.

The issue for the 80+% of the users out there who DON'T have Vista or test version of WIN7 is that they have a massive migration path to go through to get to a clean WIN7 install.....unless....they use a tool that does all that heavy lifting for them...

Having done a ton of reading on this, including great information provided by Larry Flowers for some time in various threads here...I will be using the Laplink migration product (cheap and straightforward) to go from XP to WIN7. Equally important - it works.

Having migrated from every version of Windows since it first came out, and seen the increasing time it takes to move, set up, and reconfigure various components and other software each time - I simply don't want to spend DAYS just doing the conversion to WIN7.

I have already done all the pre-planning and preparation with driver updates, etc....so my WIN7 advisor shows almost no issues remaining at this time.

Based on numerous articles, posts, and Larry Flowers advice, it would appear that the Laplink conversion is the quickest and least painful way to get to WIN7 if you have XP now.

16. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I'll stay with Vista until I want a new computer....

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    If it is working fine for you, why not.

On the other hand...for $49, a smaller migration process, and the improvement to performance that WIN7 brings...it could also be worthwhile to at least think about an upgrade.

In the end...its what works for you.

18. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    $49 to who? Geek Squad?

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    You could pre-order the WIN7 upgrade prior to 10/22 at various retailers, including Best Buy.

My version was $49 - I actually ordered 2 copies at that price. They also had a 3-PC pack as well.

20. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm starting with a new hard drive for my laptop. I'll keep the old one to restore off of or to revert back to Vista (which I don't think I will have to do).

Mike