1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best zipcode to "live" in that I would get NY and any other market locals and sports

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by metfan11, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 7, 2007 #1 of 15
    metfan11

metfan11 AllStar

Aug 3, 2007
    Can someone tell me a zipcode that would make me eligible for all the NY locals, and all the NY Rsn's including: MSG, Fox Sports New York, SNY, YES
    and eligible for any locals or RSN's from a different market.

2. Aug 7, 2007 #2 of 15
    cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    If you are going to try and get both NY and other markets. Look at Mercer County NJ area. I know for Cablevision and Verizon they get both NY and Philly locals. Not sure how D* deals with that county!

3. Aug 7, 2007 #3 of 15
    FavreJL04

FavreJL04 Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    You will be limited as to which markets you can get. Your actual location will eliminate you from most markets since their corresponding locals are only sent to a specific part of the country...they are called spotbeam locals. AFAIK the only locals on a national beam, or CONUS, are the ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX networks from LA and NY and a CW from Baltimore. DirecTV will only give you one set of locals, but you may also be eligible for some channels from a neighboring market. These are called significantly viewed channels. Most people at DirecTV will be dumbfounded if you inquire about significantly viewed channels so it may take a few tries to get a CSR that knows anything about it.

So if you are talking only about standard definition here is the best you can hope for. You will either get some or all of the LA and NY feeds or you will get one set of locals. Your locals will have to be from a market whose spotbeam reaches your actual location. You will not get both national feeds AND local channels, unless you are "grandfathered" in. The RSN's are all on the CONUS so picking them up will not be a problem at all. You will only get the ones you are supposed to get based on the zip code where DirecTV thinks you are located. All blackouts will apply based on that same zip code. To get the locals you will have to be under the spotbeam...and that is not guaranteed outside of the market you are trying to receive.

Good luck

4. Aug 7, 2007 #4 of 15
    generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    How does significantly viewed channels work for HD?? The area I live in doesn't have HD locals via sat I get them OTA, but I'm considering "moving" to a area (Perry County MO) that gets "significantly viewed channels". The other market has a HD CW and my favroit baseball team in HD. Here is what I'm hoping for but figure it's to good to happened.

The other markets locals in HD via sat (I already confirmed I can get their spot beam)
    My market in SD and (HD via sat when it launches)
    Guide data for OTA in my current market (Pad KY)

5. Aug 7, 2007 #5 of 15
    UTVLamented

UTVLamented Legend

Oct 18, 2006
    I can tell you because I live in Mercer.

We get screwed by MLB (no Philly sports channel because of Comcast, YES network not allowed even though Cablevision and FIOS deliver it). You will get SNY for Mets games.

You will get MSG and FSNY in the clear, all the shows and games for pro hockey and hoops.

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 15
    ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    You could try somewhere in Fairfield County, CT. They usually get the NY locals and RSNs as well as some of the Hartford locals. I'm not sure if you can get any of the Boston RSNs there.

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 15
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    anywhere on Long Island would get you everything

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 15
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004 type in a zip code and it will tell you which RSNs you will get. Keep plugging in zip codes until you find one you like.

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 15
    d max82

d max82 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Maybe its not so bad for the OP because he's already in new york, but doesn't Directv catch on when somebody "moves" to new york and has the billing address halfway across the country? Can you do this online or do you have to speak with a CSR, because I think they would get suspicious.

I've considered doing this too as I often travel outtside my spot beam with my box and get no signal when trying to watch a football game, and its blacked out on sunday ticket because its available on a local.

If I "moved" to new york the local would be conus so all would be good.

10. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    yes you can change your billing online

besides plenty of people have 2 homes ie one in Chicago on in Arizona

11. rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    Can you change your service address online?...I believe you can change your billing address online but must call DTV to change service address...is this correct?

12. rcodey

rcodey AllStar

May 28, 2007
    Believe that Fairfield County doesn't get NESN.Waterbury area might give you New York and Hartford locals, and RSNs from NY and Boston.

13. metfan11

metfan11 AllStar

Aug 3, 2007
    The best thing I have found is Milford, which would give me all the Boston and YC RSNS. However, it would give me boston locals, which I don't want, and only the fox, cbs,and nbc from NY. I need the my9 and cw11 from new york. Fairfield county gives me all the NY locals and RSNS and Fox Sports New England, but not NESN

14. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Dutchess county (125XX) is decent - in addition to the RSNs from NYC you'd also get the Buffalo Sabres.

15. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Are you referring to Milford, Connecticut? Milford is right next to New Haven so it wouldn't make sense that they would get Boston locals. You would most likely get the Hartford/New Haven locals there, and possibly a few from NYC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.