1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better connection (Coax or Cat) in whole-home SWiM setup for connectivity?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by 996911, Jun 25, 2013.

1. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    As the title says, trying to understand what the system prefers to have the system connected to the whole-home SWiM setup and for the network and internet?

Right now, a few boxes are showing network "ethernet connected" and others are showing "coax connected" and I'm not sure what the system prefers.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You should have one or the other but not both active. I prefer coax, and mine is created via an ethernet connection to a Genie, which acts as a CCK, so all receivers have connections.

Is everything working? It may just be a difference in nomenclature among the receivers.

If not, post what receivers you have, how they are now connected physically.

3. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Thanks for the reply!

Everything is working but one of the HR24s dropped from the network (got a message on the HR34) and the HR34 lost it's internet connection which is when I started going through the entire system to verify who had what and what should be hooked up in what manner for best performance. These events happened within about 1/2 hour of each other. I have gone through as well and red button'd the entire set of boxes and everybody seems to be playing nice for now.

My home is all Cat6 and the main line is running to a 24-port switch to all locations in the home. Internet speed is in the 50-55Mbps range.

I have the following:
    HR34 (ethernet connected)
    HR24 (coax connected
    HR24 (coax connected)
    H25 (coax connected)
    H24 (ethernet connected)

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Can you physically look at the back of each box and tell us if you have an actual Ethernet cable plugged into any of them?

Do you have upnp turned on on your router?

5. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    All of your equipment has DECA built in but most of them also have a standard LAN port as well (save for the H25) DirectTV has designed DECA so they do not need to learn to manage alll the possible network combinations. So using the DECA (coax) is their preferred and supportted method.

IF you have plugged a LAN cable into one of the other boxes (except the HR34) they assume you are using the LAN and connect that way disconnecting and ignoring their builtin DECA adaptor.

The HMC (HR34) is another beast and its LAN port can be used to bridge to your home network for access to Internet features and acts as the gateway for same to your entire Whole Home network. BUT! I am not certain if this is being leveraged for installs, rather they set up a CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) somewhere where it can bridge the two physical networks. Having it AND the HMC connected to the LAN port can create undesired results.

Unless you've used a wireless bridge to it, there should be no reason your H24 should be LAN connected as it has the goods built in and using a CCK as opposed to the HR34's feature means maintaining internet access when the HR34 is being rebooted or is down for some reason.

I run a number of receivers on DECA and bridge them to another group of receivers on my home LAN via the single CCK port with no issues but I run unsupported because of this fact. Either fabric works essentially the same in the present state but no need to mix and match. My circumstances are unique so I remain the test case for the integration of the two fabrics:-(

Don "always been a special case I guess" Bolton

6. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Makes sense. Appreciate the input! I didn't think the boxes (save for the HR34) needed a cat line directly into them and would function perfectly on the network (and internet) via the coax.

Cheers all.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, the HR34 doesn't need the ethernet if the Coax is jammin'. Adding an ethernet node in such a case sometimes brings the network down, or as Don points out, can act as a bridge to another device.