Bi-focals

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Aug 21, 2019.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just got my first two pair, from America's Best, and I am not all that please with them.

America's Best give great service at rock bottom prices. This was the third time I got glasses from them. The first two times, I got two pair for $69.99: one reading and one driving each time, but this time, I figured I'd take their deal on bi-focals of two pair for $99.99.

My only need for bi-focals is that when I drive, I need the distant viewing to read the street signs, including the tiny street block numbers (like 10,200) printed under the street names that are commonly used in metropolitan areas, but then read things within the car when I'm not supposed to be reading.

I deliberately picked out the largest glasses frames, figuring that it would get me the largest reading glass area, but it looks like the reading inset might be fixed in size. Does anyone know if there are bi-focals with larger than usual reading glass areas?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    I've had progressive lenses for a half dozen years. The first time I went to LensCrafters and they offered me several different lens pattern choices (larger/smaller reading area etc.), and one was "optimized" for driving. That said, I almost threw up the first time I wore them. Took me a good two weeks to get used to "how" and "where" to look through them. Love 'em now.

3. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I have had bifocals for years. The only issue I have is as my vision declines, I have trouble on stairs. I now hold firmly to the hand rail, but I bet I end up as one of those old guys who goes out due to complications of a broken hip.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I tried them years ago, couldn't get past the nausea. Like being seasick.

Rich

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I got my first pair back in 2003. Initially I had issues navigating stairs but eventually I got used to them. After that, no problems.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I had progressive lenses right from the start, and would not want to go to anything else. I'm very careful with each lens change to make sure they get the transition points placed correctly for close, intermediate, and distance.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    +1 on the progressives being ground correctly. I got my first pair 14 years ago, the biggest adjustment I had to go through was get out of the habit of "scanning" with my eyes and move my whole head to get the proper focal length for the task I was doing.

Now - I have a pair of progressive bifocals, with Crizal and Transitions+ - the Crizal is nice, but the transitions don't work in my VW's - they have UV protection that prevents Transitions from working very well. To drive - I either use clipon Polarized sunglass lenses OR (preferably) I use a pair of regular bifocals, that are polarized and REALLY dark (I'm incredibly sensitive to light - Cory Hart's "I wear my sunglasses at night" really applies to me). Single vision sunglasses don't work because I can't read instruements / GPS without having my bifocal.

8. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Same with me. After reading through this thread I'm wondering if I didn't give them enough time...

9. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    I remember picking them up after work around 6:30 or 7 and I couldn't wear them for more than an hour. I didn't dare wear them to work the next day, but made sure to wear them in the evening. It took two full weeks before I was mostly comfortable wearing them all day. I'd definitely give them another chance if you have the opportunity.

Another perk is the daily wear progressive contacts that work well enough on weekends and vacations (at least for me). Wouldn't wear them to work as I sit in front of a screen all day.

Athlon646464 likes this.
  10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The first set of progressive can be a challenge. I stuck it out and now love them. The "reading" area is good for gauges (such as the speedometer).

I have transitions that worked in the 2005 car but not in the 2017. My "second pair" are sunglasses with the same prescription.

11. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    I think I was fortunate that my first set of progressives were also my first glasses. The entire adjustment overshadowed any progressive learning curve...

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gave them some time. Nausea disturbs me. I gave up.

Rich

13. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I've had progressive lenses for decades. The only issue I ever had was that I couldn't wear them when I was sitting in front of a PC screen. I had a second pair I used when I was still working, but now I just take my glasses off when I'm at my PC.

14. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    As a retired Systems Administrator/Analyst, of course I've spent many hours in front of computer screens as well. Whenever I've gotten new lenses, I make sure the progression is adjusted for comfortable screen viewing. If they get that wrong, I refuse the lenses and have them try again.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    After I got my bifocals - I got a pair of single vision glasses that were perfect at the end of my reach - about 6 inches closer and about a foot farther - and no more. These are my computer glasses, that I only wore at work when I was staring into a computer display 8-10 hours /day. A single purpose tool - but expressly speced for THAT particular use.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There was a time that I needed reading glasses, now I don't. Did that happen to you?

Rich

17. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    It depends on your vision. In my case, it wasn't possible to prescribe one pair of progressive lenses that would allow me to see at a distance and also see both my computer screen and reading material on my desk at the same time. The only solution was to have a second pair for sitting in front of a PC. That pair of glasses is also progressive, with different lenses for the PC and for reading. I can read without glasses, but computer screen is blurry unless I sit really close.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    NYDutch likes this.
  18. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I can read just fine without glasses. I need the bifocals because the lenses that allow me to see at a distance are too strong for reading.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't know what's going on with my eyes. I've been wearing glasses since the third grade and now the only time I put them on is when I have to drive or when I watch TV. Big change for me.

Rich

20. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Age? :D

[​IMG]

NYDutch likes this.