Big Calculator: How Texas Instruments Monopolized Math Class

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Medium:

Big Calculator: How Texas Instruments Monopolized Math Class
    These $100 calculators have been required in classrooms for more than 20 years, as students and teachers still struggle to afford them
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I can already hear someone saying "Isn't there an app for that?" Yes, yes there is. The problem is that pesky "cheating" part, plus the fact that many instructors do not want the students distracted by their mobile devices.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    From the linked article:

"...analyst Blayne Curtis ...told the Post that he estimated a TI-84 Plus costs $15 to $20 to make and likely has a profit margin of over 50% for Texas Instruments.

This profit margin is likely a conservative estimate, a former employee in Texas Instruments’ calculator division told me. “As a former teacher, I was appalled at the pricing, not only for educators but for the families who were forced to pay inflated prices for the damn things,” she told me. “The margin is incredible. I can’t verify the exact numbers, but the margin was like 85% 90%.” In comparison, PC manufacturers like HP, Lenovo, Dell, Asus, and Acer have profit margins below 3%. (Texas Instruments did not return a request for comment for this story.)..."

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Funny the person saying the profit margin is 90% forgets that a lot of profit goes to the retailers selling the calculators. I wouldn’t be surprised if TI has only about a 50% profit, and then the retailers also have a 50% profit.

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    No calculators in the mid-50's when I took engineering classes. I used a slide rule and still have it.

MysteryMan likes this.
  6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I still have my slide rule and architect scale.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I remember high school (graduated in 1978). I had an Sr50, Ti30, as well as a Ti59 programmable (all Texas Instruments) between high school and college.
    The other big brand was HP with their RPN calculators

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My favorite high school math teacher would allow a slide rule but no calculators in his class.

9. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I could not get used to the HP RPN calculators. I still have my TI-58, but it only works with the aC adaptor. The battery has long since lost its charge. I hardly ever use it, though, as my computer, tablet, and smart phone all have scientific calculators.