Billing questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by poppo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    I was not there, so I don't know exactly what took place on the phone call.

My elderly mother-in-law currently has two DVRs (HR-24s I believe) and one HD receiver. One of the DVRs has not worked for a while and she never uses the other one either. So in an effort to reduce her bill, she wanted to ditch the DVR that does not work all together and replace the other DVR with a standard receiver.

Customer service told her that they would deactivate the broken DVR but that it would not reduce her bill. Basically said that the one "free" TV you get is the one they are deactivating. Sounds like BS to me.

Next they told her it would cost $99 to swap the other DVR for a standard receiver. That also sounds a bit off.

Opinions?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your mother-in-law has two HR24s and one HD receiver. If you look on her billing statement it will say TV Access Fee $7.00 off 1st TV. TV Access Fee $7.00...TV Access Fee $7.00. DIRECTV used TV Access Fee off first TV to deactivate the broken HR24. The other two TV Access Fee $7.00 covers the other HR24 and HD Receiver, hence her bill remains the same and is not lowered (clever). When you swap "like for like" equipment you are not billed. Seeing how she is swapping a DVR for a standard receiver (not like for like} she will be billed $99.00.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Cancel the DVR that doesn't work. Her bill will go down by $7 as she'll still have two devices attached (DVR and receiver) and 1st one is 'free'.

But if you try and change the working DVR with a receiver, they can charge. But if she has had an account for a long time, playing CSR roulette may find one who'll ship it w/o charging the $99.

Rich likes this.
  4. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Just call them and tell the to deactivate the non working DVR. Bill should go down by $7.00. Just keep the other DVR unless they will do an even swap for the standard receiver. It still works as a receiver. You don't have to use the DVR part of it.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Take a look at her current bill. She is also probably paying $10 or $12 per month for DVR service.
    When she has only the 1 receiver, she should still get that 1 for free ( first receiver ) and not have to pay the DVR fee per month.

They told me a long time ago that I would have to pay $99 for a receiver in place of a DVR.

Note: Since she is not replacing a defective receiver this might trigger a new 12 or 24 month contract.

6. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    To the first part, that is what I thought, but they said the "free" one was the one they deactivated. But I need to wait until the revised bill gets here to see what it says. I would think the system would automatically show the first TV free.

I'm not that opposed to the $99 fee even though I think it is BS, especially for someone who has had service for 20 years.

I do need her to do go with receivers only just to get rid of the DVR fee and the whole home fee. The $99 would be "paid back" in 8 months.

As for triggering a 1 or 2 year commitment, no big deal as we are rural and no other options besides Dish and she won't go through the hassles of changing and learning a new system.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The "First" receiver is not a "specific " receiver. It is the first 1 that you are going to use. Any others are charged for use. I am not sure if the bill actually refers to them as receivers. They are on a line that says ?? Watch TV on x receivers, first one free. ??

8. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    A $99 fee for the privilege of renting a piece of provider specific hardware that you have to give back when you discontinue service...LOL

longhorn23 likes this.