BirDog Question

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by HIgh Order, Jul 12, 2021.

1. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    Hi!
    Long time lurker.

I need the pinout for the BirDog Ultra meter's battery, the one with two plugs. I've searched, looked around and asked, no one seems to have an answer.

Anybody here know?

Thanks in advance

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Can you post pictures ? Is it have colored wires coming out ?

3. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    of the box side? (I don't have a battery.)

These plug into what appear to be a charging board. A wall wart also plugs into this board.

Attached Files:

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
  5. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    Thanks! I saw that ad, too. No real response from any of the contact information though.

Sadly, I don't have the battery, I bought this as-is, and thought I'd fix it. Knew I'd have to build a battery pack, but had no idea I'd have to chase the layout!

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps you could find someone with it and do your non-invasive measures

HIgh Order likes this.
  7. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    No one I've reached so far has even seen one in forever, lol. But thanks for trying!

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    well, I see only one way out - buy old cheap battery to dissect it

HIgh Order likes this.
  9. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    Have you seen one of those? :D People have offered to sell me the battery either at great expense, or they say they'll throw the receiver it is attached to for free LOL!

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm working "pro bono" with notebook's batteries last year... there are a few smart batterie's Analyzers on a market; they could read a lot of info via SMBus/I2C/etc.
    I'm itching to tear apart some BirDog's battery to see if there is a control PCB, what cells used [18650 ? - four !], how they connected [2S2P ? - nope, 4S1P ! 3.7V x 4 = 14.8V]?
    If I would guess by number of pins in two connectors ... it could be connected to each cell(s) in series of 2/3 pairs, then wires could go to each cell;
    or there are Vpos/Vneg of the battery and SCL/SDA and SystemPresent contact (like in notebooks) ?

EDIT. Could be the 2 wires connected to battery's V+/V- and other three wires connected to each cell's positive contact... then one wire would be free ?

it's 18650 !

In EU, the battery is selling for 40 EUR rarely
    Found it in CO HORIZON BIRDOG SATELLITE METER BATTERY BP1501 14.8 VOLT 2800mAh Li-Po BATTERY - Littleton, CO - $40

According the rules printed on other side of the battery, two pin and four pin connectors , seems to me, are directly connected to cells. Because there is strict order of [dis]connecting to the battery.

I would pay the $40 for a privilege to find out its pinout and reveal internal connections. Then I would make my own packs and sell them to cover the expenses for parts and my time :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    And here is my last thought - perhaps the meter is charging each cell separately, if it has six wires and required special order of connection ?

HIgh Order likes this.
  12. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    You make excellent points. I'll get a better picture of the board they plug into in awhile.
    That ad, at the bottom, said 'from eBay'. I could never find the ad referenced on there. I tried contacting the seller on there a couple of weeks ago with no response.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
  14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm working on my own battery for my TDS3000 ;
    and there are 5 pin connector, it has wires to each triplet of cells [4S3P] and the scope could charging internally [very slow !] the triplets separately and doing voltage balancing;
    original TDS3BATC have inside own PCB with temp sensors and balancing by BMS chip, if you using own battery charger; it doing 5 times faster then the scope

15. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    Right, it's my working theory that the one connector supplies +V and ground, and the other connector is used for balancing the cells; this is a common arrangement in electrically-powered airsoft replicas. I just don't have time to go out and start scoping the charging board right now, I kind of thought with the number of these meters out there, information would be more common lol.
    I'm not sure what a TDS3000 is, but here, battery packs are pretty easy to come by, most cities have a chain store that will rebuild them while you wait... if you have a used core to begin with.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    it's a Tektronix scope :) portable :thumbsup:

17. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    I went and looked at it on their site. That thing has a *huge* battery!

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    It's just 12 cells [4S3P] of 18650 type in new model, or 11 NiCad elements in old kind :)