1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Friday Week Shopping LIst

Discussion in 'The OT' started by hdtvfan0001, Nov 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    OK fellow DBSTalkers.

This week begins the joy of accelerated holiday shopping, which includes of course, Black Friday.

Starting tommorrow...we'll see instore deals, online deals, and the like. I'll likely be an early bird somewhere, perhaps Walmart and/or Best Buy...

So...

1) What are your top 3-4 targets for Black Friday week?
    2) Where? (store names)
    3) How? (in store, online, or other)

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    If Mrs. Fluffybear and I do any 'Black Friday' type shopping, it more than likely will be strictly online through a site such as Amazon. We may check out stores such as WalMart or Target but there is no way I will be at either one of these places comes next Friday.

Items we are looking at this year:

new bicycles for the kids
    Bicycle for Mrs. Fluffybear
    Nintendo DSi
    Ipod Touch

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Havent gave it much thought yet, the Holidays just snuck up on me. Always shop online most likely Walmart

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    One thing I've been on a hunt for is a decent lawn/yard tractor. I've seen some fair deals, but nothing yet to make me bite. I may have passed up a good deal a week or two back when Sears offered an extra 5% off and free shipping.

5. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Both Lowe's and Home Depot will have Black Friday deals....keep an eye on them too.

6. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
  7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    For those of you to timid to brave the early morning.... :D

There is also a Black Friday ONLINE list website that is updated daily...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/OnlineItems

Note: Not everything on sale at retailers Black Friday can be purchased online...but a number of things can in advance. The hottest items will require joining us in line somewhere early that morning - guess that's why they call them early bird specials.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Yeah, but you have to be careful with those in-store deals. They may only have 2 or 3 of an item and will try to up-sell anyone coming in after they're sold out of the ad item Also they may be 'special' versions that may not have all of the features of the standard item or may have lesser specs.

BF is turning into a form of scam at some retailers.

9. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    When Mrs. Fluffybear use to work for Penney's (back in the 90's), she told me all about the Black friday 'Specials' and how that her Penney store would only get 1 or 2 items and how 9 times out of 10, it never left the managers office as she would purchase the items herself. In the event there are more then just a few, a number of times store employees will have the items set behind the counter and ring up the sales for themselves as soon as the store opens or will have the items waiting for friends and family.

Mrs. Fluffybear was saying to be sure and read the fine print in those Black Friday ad's very closely as a lot of times they will fully disclose how many of those items the store will have at that special price.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I will be spending Black Friday sleeping, while all those people are standing outside in 29 degree weather to buy an Emerson HDTV (sic) or eMachines laptop.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Me too. The real sales come later.

12. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    who needs black friday to shop, i get all my new toys year round, when it comes out i buy it.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A few years ago, with a house full of in-laws, on Black Friday, I went to the local BB just to see how much the prices had dropped. The cashier's line was wrapped completely around the inside of the store. I looked and looked for lower prices and finally found a manager that I knew from our local Little League. Told him the prices looked pretty much the same as they were earlier in the week. He told me they were the same prices. Yet another reason to avoid BB.

I've been following the Black Friday specials online and have yet to see anything but Westinghouse and Sylvania TVs and their ilk. Nothing I'd even consider buying. I'll be avoiding the "sales" too. Seems like all the stores are doing is dumping junk.

Rich

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    There was an article somewhere in the last few days about the top ten secrets of BF, maybe in USA Today, not sure. Funny thing is, I'd heard them all before many times. Guess there are quite a few people out there who haven't though.

Lots more info and discussion of BF deals and not-so-deals on FW if you know what that site is. Don't know if we can mention the full name or URL here.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Me and Mrs. Scooper will likely not go anywhere NEAR a mall until after Jan 1, 2011 - it's our annual tradition. We MIGHT venture into CompUSA / Lowe's / Home Depot if needed - otherwise - most of our holiday shopping will be via the internet.

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    There's some truth to that....but actually...there are usually a number of real deals on good stuff too. I keep tabs on Black Friday purchases (online and instore) - saved over $1800 off retail the past 3 years alone.

I can buy alot of hot chocolate for $1800.

17. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    I'll be shopping for a place in Toledo that has ESPNU so I can watch the Ohio Bobcats/Kent State Golden Flushes game.

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I have no words for this. :lol:

[YOUTUBE]GA0TtJPt_lQ[/YOUTUBE]

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
  20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have words for this. Many unprintable words. The utter stupidity of doing that boggles the mind. Thanx for the chuckle!

Rich