BLACKOUT:Coaches press conference?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bnwrx, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    On Tuesday's I record the Coaches press conference for the Steelers on channel 659(SportsPak) All year I've watched it, today It did not record,727 code Blackout. Why,today,and not before today? I don't understand when it was rec'd every week since August. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm hoping it was a fluke, but it has happened before where they black out the live one but not the reruns for the rest of the season. Fox Sports are real jerks about only showing things locally.

3. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Maybe you are right, I've set it up to record the rerun on Thursday, so we'll see. Strange why it would start now and not in August ,though.:nono:

4. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    The same thing happens to me on channel 630. I'd like to watch New England Tailgate, and everytime that it airs, I get the 727 message. I don't get it. It's not a game, it's a talk show.

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Yep, makes no sense.

6. YKW06

YKW06 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    If the program has a history of showing more than a few seconds of game footage, the league might well have instituted the blackout. This has been an ongoing issue with MLB and its recap/interview/presser programming, and the NFL following that precedent wouldn't be at all surprising.

7. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Unbelievable greed. Yet another reason I think the NFL sucks.

8. YKW06

YKW06 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    Where's the greed? The NFL isn't offering you the chance to purchase the rights to watch this programming. They don't even want your money in this case. They're protecting the rights to their intellectual property (in this case, game footage). If they didn't do this, they would have a difficult time going to court against "real" IP theft (legal principle: if you don't defend your IP rights against all comers, you lose the right to defend them against anyone).

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Says the NASCAR fan...ironic. No greed there, huh? :lol:

10. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    No NASCAR blackouts here.:)

11. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    The rerun of the press conference were shown in their entirety on Thursday, but the live one on Tuesday was blacked out. How is the that protecting their rights. They do not show any game footage, if you want to see game footage it's on every sports channel all the time. This a press conference where reporters ask the coach questions and a group of reporters discuss it afterwords.

12. pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    I've never quite figured this out either. Typically, its the locally produced shows that feature highlights that get blacked out nationally. Maybe the NFL now considers a press conference like a game highlight. The BEARS post game show is not blacked out in WA state because they don't show highlights. BEARS Blitz is blacked out because they show highlights

The only logic I've been able to come up with, and its pretty weak, is the league is treating the highlights in the same vain as they do the games, and they are trying to protect the home markets of where the show is being blacked out. So if I'm a Bears fan in WA state, the league is protecting the rights of the Seahawks by blacking out the program, as if it was an out of market game (I told you it was weak)

The other more conspiracy like theories are, they want you to get watch the highlights on the NFL Network, or maybe they have some agreement with ESPN to black out the shows nationally.

I agree, its totally ridiculous.

13. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    But then they turn around and show the reruns of the show so what good does it do them?

14. SPG900NY

SPG900NY AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Sorry to respond to an old thread, but I'm getting the same and it's so annoying. New England Tailgate and Patriots Football Weekly are both blacked out. ARGH! Any way we can find out why this is? I wish there was someone we could call and find out. It's not like it's a game.

15. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I called directv about this when the blackouts of Tomlin's Press Conference first began (the first week after I started paying for the sports pack after my anniversary gift of it ran out - figures, eh?) and the CSR said she believed this was a mistake, could see no reason for the black out. But she also said that the best way to figure out if anything actually could be done about it was to call up during the live broadcast on Tuesday and speak with technicians right then about it. Unfortunately, works prevents me from being home on Tuesday for lunch (another reason I love my HDDVR!), so I haven't been able to do this. If anybody is home to call next Tuesday, please do. Not sure they'd be able to actually do anything about it, but it would be nice to see!