1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rrr22777, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1 of 20
    rrr22777

rrr22777 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Does anyone else have problems with blank recordings on their HR21? Ed must know the fix. Can you help?

2. Jun 3, 2008 #2 of 20
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    It happens to a lot of people. DirecTV is trying to fix it. Use the forum search feature and you'll find lots of threads about it.

At the least, please report the problem in the thread to report blank recordings here:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=127196

It should also be reported for the version of the HR21 you have.
    See the stickies up top for your specific HR21.

3. Jun 3, 2008 #3 of 20
    bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    happens to a ton of people... if you go on the direcTV forums it is ALL over the place, there are stickies up top here for them too. Heck, this site even created a special page for people to submit all their blank recordings to with the hope it will be fixed.

It's ridiculous and smacks of incompetence. the inability of this DVR to record is inexcusable.

in the meantime, don't get rid of your Tivo. It will record everything without fail unlike the D* piece of junk.

4. Jun 4, 2008 #4 of 20
    rrr22777

rrr22777 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Thank you Redlinetire & bradfjoh. Will checkout the other threads. A DVR that does not record. Never thought I would see this day !

5. Jun 4, 2008 #5 of 20
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since everyone is allowed to post their opinions/experiences, my three DVRs haven't missed a recording in over a year, so "not all HR20/21s" have this problem. :)

6. Jun 4, 2008 #6 of 20
    jgriffin7

jgriffin7 Native Texan

Feb 16, 2007
    Oh, it records. You just can't watch it! :D

7. Jun 4, 2008 #7 of 20
    demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    And it really has shown the inability of DirecTV support and their supervisors.
    Call them and see. Unless you get lucky you will walk away with zero help.

8. Jun 4, 2008 #8 of 20
    bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    I've called DirecTV 7x about it and have received zero help. Try restarting your receiver... About the only thing I haven't tried is a complete wiping/clearing of everything. We have too many things on our DVR that we watch that I don't want to remove.

9. Jun 4, 2008 #9 of 20
    bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    Oh it's definitely not all people, but I'd venture to say it's quite a bit more than D* would care to admit. Sure, they may say if it happens to 1 person that's too many, but it's happening to a LOT of people. The technical forums have hundreds, if not thousands, of posts on the missing recordings. This site has set up a special site to submit these errors and has a pretty extensive submission I would guess.

So, while the majority of users probably don't have any issues, it really sucks to be part of the strong minority and get ZERO help or ZERO idea when it'll be fixed.

I get angrier and angrier with each missed recording and with each realization that I've got quite a bit of time until my contract is up.

10. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I have to agree with VOS... on my three HR's (20-700, 21-100, 21-700) I haven't missed a recording or had a blank recording.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I do understand your point, as I too was there back in the dark early days of the HR20. It wasn't until a software release back in Feb/Mar of '07, that mine quit happening.
    I hate to tell you but, most likely the way to have it stop, is to do a "complete flushing out" of the DVR by using a reset everything, followed by a reformat of the drive. This worked on many "back then", after the software came out and some were still having problems.
    Short of doing this you could try leaving it unplugged [AC power cord] over night, as this is about the only other thing that "could" have the chips clear.

"The old practice" was to do the reset everything followed by a reformat and, if it didn't resolve the problem, replace the DVR.

12. bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    Argh, argh, and more argh.

I understand your suggestion, but why I, as the customer, should lose all my recordings when it was a NR which caused this is very bothersome.

I had no issues until NR 22b came out and then it got even worse with 22d. I'd like to just revert back to prior to 22b (18???). But, that'll never happen.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    [my two cents]
    I'd bet it isn't the software but the updating of the software [that has caused one of the chips to be in the wrong state]. Remember that "your national" was one of "our CEs", and while we normally only have them for a week, if there was something that was truly in the software, we usually find it within that time.
    So [if I'm even close] your problem came with the 0x22B [during the update] and every update, reset, since hasn't "undone" the bad chip state [somewhere there is a hi that should be a low deep inside a chip]. The chips will bleed off voltage [slowly] if they're un-powered for a significant time. I've seen this with my H20 and several computer motherboards that have gone to "never never land".

14. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    I do not believe this is a DVR issue as much as it is a receiver issue. I turned on my HR-200 the other day and the channel it was tuned to was black. If it had been recording at the time, it would have been one of those blank recordings. I changed the channel then back and everything was fine. My theory is that for whatever reason, this happens occaisionally when the DVR tunes in a channel to begin a recording. I'd be interested to hear if the blank channel occurs on non-DVR receivers.

15. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    My last episode was a case where I could view the live channel fine, but the simultaneous recording was gray.

Being a DirecTV customer is like owning a fancy foreign car - it's great when all the gizmos work, but the reality is it spends half the time in the shop just getting the windows to go up and down...

16. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    Bit the bullet.
    Did full reset. Then 02468 to force a software download.
    That went through it's path.
    Went through setup.
    All recordings and season wassits gone as expected.
    Recored a show. It stopped after 20 odd minutes instead 60.
    Blank recording with do you want to delete message instantly.
    Version shows 22d still and still shows 5/13 as the update.
    I am totaly lost now.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Bad hardware" that needs to be replaced.
    Yes, the software does stay [as it's the only thing that does].
    Unless you had some power glitch at the 20 min mark of your recording, it should have gone the full 60 min [even if it was a blank]. "The blank" recording seems to come from the tuner not tuning correctly. I could duplicate the recording [back in the dark early days] by simply pulling the SAT feed during the recording.

If you want to poke around more [I'd be on the phone to DirecTV for a replacement first], you can setup two recordings [at the same time] and then go into the guide and find each channel and see if it is viewable [then back to the guide for the other].
    If they are both viewable, then they "should" be recording and you can go into the playlist and start playing them [while still recording], if not then just more reasons DirecTV should replace your DVR with a working DVR.

18. reh523

reh523 AllStar

Sep 7, 2006
    Okay so 80 or 90 percent of the hr21's have never made a blank recording..... Good for you bad for the 10 or 20 percent that have.....

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Before you jump in too fast, please read how I am trying to post help for those that do have the problems [and oh by the way, I was replying to another poster]

20. ron6399

ron6399 Cool Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Just had this blank recording issue , so I reset the hr21-700 and it appears ok now except it seems slow to respond to the remote lately, its maybe 5 months old now. I have it on a ups so its not a power issue not to mention I have an external esata drive which is flawless. When I reset the receiver, I did not power cycle the external drive and it recorded ok a few times since.