1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockbuster question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Steve H, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006
    Are the movies that are on the streaming list the same as the movies Blockbuster has on their site that you can have the disk mailed to you?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    There are a lot more movies available via dvd than show via streaming.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The streaming movies are generally those that are playing on what was the Platinum HD movie package. They shouldn't be confused or associated with Blockbuster's own streaming library.

4. Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006

Where do you find the Blockbuster streaming library?

5. joegr

joegr Cool Member

Jul 8, 2010
    On BlockBuster's website as a BlockBuster customer, not a Dish Network customer. You would have to stream on you PC, couldn't do it through the Dish receivers.

6. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    Is there some way to stream from the PC to the TV? I've been looking for a way to do this via an ethernet connection and so far cannot find any type of hardware item(s) to do this. I've seen wireless products at the store but am not sure how well or if they will work for streaming video. I figured if a wireless system can sell for less $100 then someone should be able to make a wired system for about the same. So far it seems I need to get a another PC, locate & connect it to the HDTV and the ethernet. Then share between the PCs.

Other than using a second PC, is there another way to do this?

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It may be possible on the ViP922 using Windows Media but I don't think Windows Media streaming is available on any other box.

8. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I may not be understanding your question, but all I do connect my laptop to the TV (actually first to the AV receiver, but it could be directly to the TV) with an HDMI cable. Great picture, as good as the best Roku picture.

9. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    My PC is in a different room than my TV. Once in a while I watch Hulu if a miss a TV program. What I do is unroll my 25 foot VGA/audio cable & connect it to the PC. IOW the TV is acting as a monitor. This works quite well, however I can't leave a long cable laying across the floor. But it works when I need it.

I thought about getting a laptop or building a PC for this purpose, but was hoping to find a cheap "black box" to do the job.

10. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    According to Blockbuster's website, WD TV Live Steaming Media Player would be a 'black box' solution.

11. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    Ahh, got it. I see what you are asking now. I know you asked with not using a second PC, but would an inexpensive netbook or used notebook do the job? Have it next to the TV you want to stream from the internet to? Obviously this is why the newer TV's that can go directly to HULU and the internet are becoming popular.

12. kalone

kalone Cool Member

May 5, 2010
    Don't believe that Blockbuster has steaming all you can eat type thing. Blockbuster itself has "On Demand" which cost around $4 a shot.

13. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    I probably don't need a powerhouse PC in order to watch Hulu. But if I end up with a second PC I would want it to be able record OTA HD. So I'd need a couple slots for tuner cards & maybe one for a graphic card. And a nice looking case, etc.

I saw a Sony HDTV demo with internet capability but it was pretty limited & could not access free Hulu. Every TV & steaming box states you can watch all kind of wonderful content. You can get Netflix & Hulu Plus, both for a monthly fee, and all kind of stuff I don't care about.

I guess a second PC is the way to go for convenience, but using that long VGA cable does work.

14. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    And cheap and simple! Lol

15. cloudnine

cloudnine New Member

Sep 30, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here is a simple solution to your problem:
    Search Amazon .com for "Warpia Wireless USB PC to TV Audio / Video Display Adapter"

16. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    That will probably do the job. I went to Warpias’s website & one magazine review stated “After installation, Windows sees the Warpia-created screen as another display, meaning you can duplicate it, extend it, and rearrange it as you would with any other screen”.

Another magazine review states: “This is great for using services like Hulu, Netflix, or Youtube (especially Hulu, as the others are available on many HDTVs or Blu-ray players, while Hulu's standard, non-premium service can only be used on a computer)”.

I’ll have to investigate this some more.

Thanks for the info.

17. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    Most simple answer...$49 Roku. http://www.Roku.com :) Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Blockbuster and others are all in one little box that you can hook up directly and runs via network cable or WiFi.

18. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Roku and other streaming boxes only do HuluPlus, not the free Hulu the OP is after. HTPC is the only solution unless you pay for a DLNA server that does Hulu or get some other device with a web browser.

19. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    I looked at the Warpia website again to see what range their unit has. It says 30 foot in-room, line of site. From looking at wireless keyboards most say up to 30', but I have never seen a user comment where they get the max. Some get only 10'. I'm not saying Warpia will not get the full 30', but it is a concern. Especially since my PC is in a different room from the TV & there is also a wall in between.

That is why I ran Cat 5E cable in order to stream Netflix on my Blu-Ray player. I was hoping to use the same to connect PC-to-HDTV. I know there are adapters to convert VGA to Cat 5, and a pair of them cost at least $100. And there still is no audio.

I have seen articles on attaching VGA connectors directly to Cat 5 or 6 and users claim this works pretty good. But there's only one pair of wires left which limits you to trying those for mono audio.

It looks like I'll stick to unrolling my long VGA (with attached stereo audio cable) when needed. At least until I get another PC.

20. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005