1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocked shows on DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by naturetaz, Nov 19, 2013.

1. naturetaz

naturetaz New Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Vista,Ca
    I have 2 HR 24 DVR's and 1 HD Receivers. I also have whole home dvr service as well. Well we just got the second dvr and starting using it record other shows on it. So my wife was watching something that we had recorded on that dvr and I was wanting to watch else on that same dvr but I noticed that they were blocked so I couldn't watch from that dvr but I could watch anything on the dvr I was using . Is there a solution to fix this?

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    No

3. naturetaz

naturetaz New Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Vista,Ca
    Is this a known problem? and is there something you can recommend

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Not a problem. If a HR2x DVR is doing a playback, nothing on its hard drive can be access.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    HR24s can stream only one show at a time over WHDVR. If a second was attempted it won't play. Was that what you experienced?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Only a Genie can stream to multiple receivers/clients at once, that's limited to three.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, not a problem. I recommend getting a Genie

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    To be a bit more clear, I assume your wife was on the non dvr and you where on the other dvr, so you where both trying to watch a show from the same dvr but neither of you where at that dvr.. That is the issue. Had she been at that dvr watching the show youd have been able to watch it just fine.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Exactly. You can always watch something locally (on the DVR it was recorded on) and something else remotely (via whole-home). But you can't watch two recordings remotely at the same time from a regular DVR. The newer Genie DVRs (HR34 and HR44) can feed up to three remote devices at the same time.

10. naturetaz

naturetaz New Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Vista,Ca
    Thank you everyone for the response that everyone has given me. That is exactly what I am experiencing and I guess there is nothing I can do. I have tried to request for the genie system to upgrade and they came back and said we can't do that. that is how I winded up with 2 DVR's. It really sucks. I love directv but I am seriously thinking about cancelling. but now I have to wait for 2 yrs again. DARN IT!!!!

11. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If you and your wife typically have different show that you record and watch, your best option might be for you to record the shows that you watch on one DVR and she could record the shows that she watches on the other DVR. Then regardless of which TV you are attempting to watch your show, you won't have this type of conflict.

I realize that this is not a foolproof solution. But, with some thought, it can eliminate a lot of conflicts.

12. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I had a customer with several HDDVRs and a Genie and they were having big problems with that. They didn't understand the issue and I just went ahead and moved record list items around the house to where each of them usually watched and it fixed it.

They also had an issue with the kid loading up the record lists on all the DVRs with the stuff he liked. I put all his shows on his DVR, and also set it keep only 5 episodes of everything.

That family should adopt me . . . .

:coffee

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Or put the DVRs in the places that you watch tv the most. Sounds like you haven't done that as of yet.