Bloodline on NF

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Rich, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1 of 14
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Without trying to spoil the show for anyone, I can say that this show is one of the most intense shows I've ever watched. We just finished the second season last night and the stress of just watching it was very noticeable. Good cast, great writing and lush scenery (it takes place on the Florida Keys). NF really has some of the best series available at the moment, I think.

Rich

2. Jun 8, 2016 #2 of 14
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Being a bit time constricted right now can you tell me who stars in it question

3. Jun 8, 2016 #3 of 14
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    • Kyle Chandler as John Rayburn, the second son; a detective and local deputy with the Monroe County sheriff's office[3][6]
    • Ben Mendelsohn as Danny Rayburn, the oldest son and black sheep of the family[3]
    • Linda Cardellini as Meg Rayburn, the daughter and youngest sibling; an attorney and the family peacekeeper[3][7]
    • Norbert Leo Butz as Kevin Rayburn, the hot-headed youngest son; he refurbishes boats at Indian Key Channel Marina[3]
    • Jacinda Barrett as Diana Rayburn, John's wife; she runs a plant nursery[3]
    • Jamie McShane as Eric O'Bannon, Danny's friend and Chelsea's brother; a parolee[3]
    • Enrique Murciano as Marco Diaz, Meg's long-term romantic partner; a detective with the Monroe County sheriff's office and John's partner[8]
    • Sam Shepard as Robert Rayburn, the patriarch[3] (main, season 1; guest, season 2)
    • Sissy Spacek as Sally Rayburn, the matriarch[3]
    • Katie Finneran as Belle Rayburn, Kevin's estranged wife[8] (recurring, season 1; main, season 2)
    • John Leguizamo as Ozzy Delvecchio, a man from Danny's past (season 2)[9]
    • Andrea Riseborough as Evangeline Radosevich, the mother of Nolan Rayburn who has unfinished business with the Rayburn family (season 2)[10]

4. Jun 8, 2016 #4 of 14
    Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Ahhh! Thanks. Now it rings a bell!!

5. Jun 8, 2016 #5 of 14
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Sissy Spacek as the matriarch. I guess I will always remember her as seventeen year old prom queen even through she was 28 at the time. I just look it up and I am only seven years older then her.

6. Jun 8, 2016 #6 of 14
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's a great series, but the cliffhanger this year is one that really left me wanting more. Now I have to wait another year to see what happens.

Rich

7. Jun 8, 2016 #7 of 14
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww, you left out Chloe Sevigny! She plays Eric O'Bannon's sister Chelsea (I just edited this, sorry for any confusion).

Rich

8. Jun 8, 2016 #8 of 14
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I was disappointed with how season 2 ended. I want to write more. But, I don't want to post any spoilers with season 2 only having come out a couple of weeks ago.

9. Jun 9, 2016 #9 of 14
    Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Just tell us you're going to post a spoiler and I can choose to read it or not. I thank you for saying that in advance!

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You'd really have to watch both seasons to begin to understand what Bill meant. I agree with him on this. But, that's what cliffhangers are for...

Rich

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Thanks for the endorsements. I think we're going to watch both seasons this summer.

My wife just finished season 2 of Grace and Frankie and I could always tell when she was watching the show -- loud outbursts of hysterical laughing.

One show I watched one episode on Netflix that I won't watch any further: The Ranch. Ashton Kutcher, Danny Materson, Debra Winger and, one of my favorites, Sam Elliot. But as soon as the laugh track started up, it was over for me.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Or you can use the Spoiler code:
    This is a test. It is only a test.

You do this by adding SPOILER at the beginning and /SPOILER at the end with brackets around them (and it doesn't have to be in all caps).

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The cast sounds great.

But 'stress'? OK, I'll acknowledge that drama requires conflict, I'll give you that. I just read a piece by James Bell who is a great writer and advises writers, and he said that fear of death has to be around every corner in every good fiction piece. I respectfully disagree. You need it, but not in every chapter (my books don't have a whole lot of 'fear of death', maybe once or twice, but then he's a great writer, and I'm...)

But as I find myself watching less and less TV and having stress from also reading too much news, finding something with a minimum of stuff that causes 'stress' for me seems to have become a priority. And that is actually surprisingly difficult to do. I see the death of the 'blue skies' series on USA as a step in the wrong direction.

And I loved the first Jessica Jones, for instance, but I can't bring myself to watch her have to go through all of that terrible stuff. I want to see people being happy, not miserable.

For me, less stress.

OK, that raises a question.

TV has become more immersive. Color, stereo, larger screens, better resolution, 7.1 surround, HD, 4K. Where does that end? Probably in a VR headset, in our lifetimes. Do we as viewers really want to be right there shoulder to shoulder with Jessica Jones as she battles her adversaries? Do I want to feel like I should have to duck whenever anyone throws a punch or pulls out a TEC-9? I don't really think so. We already identify too strongly with the drama. Too much stress. We'll slow down as we drive by a car accident, but we don't want to actually experience the car accident.

I think there will be a bell-shaped response to the tendency over the last few decades of upping the drama, and the tension. Once TV gets much more immersive, it's just gonna cause way too much stress. We won't be able to hold it at arm's length, the way we could in 1986 when our mono TV's were 25" at best and twelve feet across the room. Maybe the milennials, who watch on a 12-inch laptop or a 4-inch phone, have the right idea after all.

I was the most enthusiastic proponent of surround. I was hooking back speakers up out of phase before Dolby even had an inkling. I had to have Yamaha AVRs because of the sound field tech. But it's way over-rated, even as it got better. I don't want the sound of a stressful show coming from all around me. I want it coming from 'over there' somewhere. I need objective perspective to appreciate drama that is super-stressful. That, is the bottom line here.

TV used to be referred to as the 'close-up medium', because the screens were so tiny and far away that 'closeups' made sense. Now the TV itself is close up. So stop with the closeups. In real life, you better be standing two feet away, especially if you are the bad guy (Jessica Jones herself, gets a pass...very nice in closeup). But I don't want to see all your nostril hair, close up, OK?

So all you wonderful producers and directors out there, stop framing shots like it's still 1986. We get it. We're right here next to the screen. If you want to make something realistic, make the distance between us and the actors reflect real life. I don't need Dr. Who's face four feet high in my living room. Not every TV show should be shot like it's a spaghetti western.

1 person likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ^ What he said. ^