1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu Ray with Netflix and WiFi

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by islesfan, May 20, 2010.

1. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I'm looking for a Blu Ray player that has Netflix streaming capability and has built in WiFi. I know I could get another game adapter for one of the "WiFi capable" ones with an ethernet port, but I would prefer built in WiFi.

Any suggestions?

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Google is your friend: Most Samsung units have Netflix

http://www.google.com/search?q=blu+...7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

3. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    PS3

4. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Best Buy has their Insignia brand which would meet your requirements. If you watch their sales sometimes you can get a great price on it.

5. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Bought one of them between Thanksgiving and Christmas, only gave $118 for it. Thing works GREAT with the 32" Insignia LCD TV in my master bedroom.

6. LarryA

LarryA Cool Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I have had great luck with the PS3

7. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I had thought of that, but I don't want to pay $400 for a blu ray player.

8. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    PS3's are $299 now. Also - they will do 3D soon. They will also stream just about anything. The gaming is a bonus. The blu ray and audio are rated very well with PS3's.

They will be very well supported as well...........

9. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    My PS3 is one of the best pieces of tech equipment I have ever owned. Does EVERYTHING, and basically future proof (well as much as something can be these days). It gets regular software updates. I dropped in a 500GB HD for it so its my media box. Oh and that hard drive swap took literally 5 minutes, very easy to do.

10. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Does Netflix stream in HD?

11. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Yes, but the number of titles available are limited......

You can go to netflix.com and browse available titles to see what they have without registering. When you look at the description of a title it will tell you whether they have it for streaming, DVD, or Blu-Ray.

12. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Thanks, actually I meant to type $300, not $400, but I found a Sony Blu Ray (Sony BDP-S570) that has everything I want at $248, so that's the one I'll go for. I get the PS3 argument, and I am sympathetic, but I also know that I'll have to add in the expense for NHL 2010 to that as I won't be able to resist. As it is, I have a high end PC that I use for gaming, and I don't want to expand into another line of software purchases.

13. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm also starting to read that PS3's are beginning to show signs of drive problems, based on being taxed by the addition of new capabilities over time.

Honestly....I prefer a game machine as a game machine and Blu Ray player as Blu Ray player.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    At the moment it only streams in 720p. That should change in the near future to add 1080i. I have a Roku and for $79 (and up) you get the wireless connection or can use Ethernet and the PQ is pretty good. And they are about to release the ability to set up your streaming queue from the Roku itself. At the present time, you have to do that from your computer. Nice little gizmo.

I bought a Sony BD player that could receive the NetFlix stream and quickly took it back, the Roku does a much better job. That's just my opinion and is purely subjective.

And you can't beat the price and simplicity of the Roku. Little box, big results.

Rich

15. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Honestly, I'm running short of inputs. I have both component inputs used and the one DVI is what I'll be using with the Blu Ray player. In fact, I'll have to take out the DVD player (for a component connection) to connect one of the DVRs which now uses the DVI connection. In other words, I can't fit another box that only does one thing. The WiFi Blu Ray player will replace DVD, add NetFlix, and introduce Blu Ray to my system.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OK, I think the Roku needs HDMI, at least that's all I've ever used and if you're short of HDMI connections than the BD player is what you want.

Rich

17. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Try LG. The new 5xx series has Netflix, CinemaNow, VUDU, Pandora, and YouTube. Only the lowest model (550) doesn't have WiFi. The highest one adds a hard drive.

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I only know one person who has that particular unit, but he swears it works extremely well, and he's glad he got the hard drive model to store content.

19. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I considered the top of the line Roku ($129 b/4 $20 discount online) which has HDMI as does the middle of the three models and the low end one does not. But I decided to go with the Sony S570 (Best Buy $218) because, with NetFlix, I can receive BluRay to play on the 42" :)

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Right now you can get the Samsung BD-C6900 for $220 and it's a much better player than the S570 (it's a top pick from HomeTheater Magazine). Plus it's 3D capable for the future.