Bon Voyage Again!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by compnurd, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1 of 13
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Well I am leaving Directv again...

My local cable company has new boxes running the new Tivo hardware and software. Giving me two main boxes(12 tuners) and 4 minis with all programming and internet for 30 cheaper then my current internet and DTV now...

Wont lose much in the way of channels except some obscure ones I miss the Tivo software which right now is lightyears ahead of the current Directv software Plus getting a tivo stream which is also way ahead of the geniego...

Been fun guys and gals. I have always loved DirecTV and while there leap into 4K will be great... they really need to clean up there hardware and software lineup

2 people like this.
  2. Jun 4, 2015 #2 of 13
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Good luck hope it all works out for you.

3. Jun 5, 2015 #3 of 13
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Thanks Hopefully it does also. The local CC has added about 20 HD channels over the last year so the content is close to being even

4. Jun 5, 2015 #4 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is this fiber optics cable ?
    How is the pricing after the introductory offer ?
    Tell us how the picture compares after you get the new install.
    Good luck with your new venture.

5. Jun 5, 2015 #5 of 13
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No it is not Fiber Optics cable.. But they are in the middle of a Docsis 3 upgrade. Pricing jumps 15 after the first year

They actually push good bandwidth on there channels. When i had them 2 years ago I used to decode the recordings from my old tivo to transfer.. And the channel streams were around 16mbps

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    So far so good... Damn i missed some of the Tivo features.. Being able to edit my to do list and season passes online and on the app are awesome.... Also really missed the Tivo Stream sending shows to my ipad in minutes instead of who knows how long

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    What model TIVOs are those BTW?

You'll have to pardon my ignorance of TIVO, but have been away from them for a long time and just recently bought a TIVO Roamio OTA and l'm struggling to catchup with the latest on them. For instance I didn't even realize they were the sole equipment supplier for any cable companies. Always thought all cable companies and FIOS had their own in house receivers and auxiliary eqiupment nowadays and TIVO was only an optional third party equipment supplier via cable cards.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

8. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, some awesome stuff. Roamio is sweet.

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They are Pace MG1 units which are the same hardware specs as the Roamio. The Minis are Pace Mi3's which are actually faster than the regular Tivo Mini

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It's kind of odd to be reading this thread while my Roamio is rebooting from a crash. !rolling

1 person likes this.
  11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Show me a box that is 100% error free, and I'll show you a box that either no one can afford or is only a VCR :)

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Show me a box that isn't digital and I'll show you a box that doesn't crash. !rolling

I guess my username is showing again since I still remember when things "just plain worked" and if they didn't you fixed them.

I'd say it's a bit sad how we now except the fact that nothing seems to work continuiosly anymore and random crashes aren't of a concern.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sure, but we want all the bells and whistles. You can't have a lot of features without any bugs unless you're willing to spend a lot of time and money on it. Other than some of the old Space Shuttle programs, the most complex program I know of that is generally considered as bug free as possible is TeX, but that hasn't seen any features added since 1989. When the developer of that dies, it's supposed to be incremented to the Pi version number and all remaining bugs are to be declared features.

In the DirecTV world, I guess the most bug free would have to be something along the lines of a D12.