1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boneheaded question about HR34's sata/e-sata connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Cobalt, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I just got a hr34 hooked up Monday and I'd like to add a external hd to the unit. I have a 1tb drive that I used with my dish 622 and the dive has an e-sata port. I noticed that the HR34 has a sata connection on it. Needless to say my e-sata cable isn't the right size to fit the port. Can I just buy an e-sata to sata calbe and expect it to work?

Thanks in advance for the information.

2. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    I thought that the HR34's internal drive is 1TB. Why would you want to install a 1TB external drive as I don't believe that it adds more recording space. It just replaces your internal drive, so you actually gain no additional space.

3. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I've had the hr34 for less than a week and I've all ready filled up a quarter of the internal drive.... I need extra space. When the internal gets close to full I plug in the external and use it.

4. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    When you do that , i hope you are aware that your internally stored programs are not accessible.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's the first problem I saw with the 34. Even a 2TB HDD, the largest you can use, will quickly get filled up with all those tuners.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You need an eSATA to eSATA jumper cable. Such as this.

Rich

7. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    I can tell you how to open the case on the HR34 without doing anything to the seal that says it is the protection. I must say it is truly the least protective I have ever seen on a box. The cage is easily removed with just three screws. The drive is held in place with four screws.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just for the record, if you don't own you really shouldnt be opening it. Leased units really shouldnt be opened.

9. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Since I own mine it is not a problem for me.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    ANd you are in a very very small minority, so newcomers really need to have it pointed out. Most of us are not going to shell out several hundred more to own one, they become obsolete or break too soon to throw money away like that. While the own model may be desirable for a select few, many more of us see zero benefit to owning them anymore.

11. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Well here is my payback analysis. I paid exactly $150 more for an owned HR34. Lease for a box is $6 dollars per month. Lease is at least a two year period with DTV. So $144 for two years and you don't have squat at the end. One more month and I break even and have the box to do with whatever I want, including putting in a hard drive at any time.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And owned receiver fee is $6. If its the primary box, you don't pay it, whether leased or owned. And contract term isn't at least 2 years, it can't be longer than 2. Sure you can do things that reset it and make it longer, there are no contracts more than 2 years.

13. sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    I leased because my very expensive TiVo series 3 is dying and repair costs are close to a new one, so since we are moving to DTV they can own it and fix it when it breaks esp on a brand new platform.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The point I had in buying 6 owned HRs was that I couldn't rely on D* to provide properly working replacements. Naturally, as soon as I shelled out all that money, the damn things stabilized and replacements are rare. Another fine example of my outrageously bad luck....:nono2:

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 34 is the only HR I wouldn't bother to put a large HDD in. I'd rather be able to swap HDDs easily and an external docking station would be ideal for that. Even a 2TB drive is gonna get filled up quickly with five tuners feeding one HDD.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't see any monetary gain in owning HRs. It is nice to be able to do anything you want with them, but you don't save any money.

Rich

17. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    My owned DirecTiVos have paid me handsomely. I expect the same from the HR34 and HR24. If I aggregate both units into the equation I will be paid back in 13 months for the delta cost to own versus lease. I did get some other deals too which will pay me for the total investment before the first year is up.

I have a more unique situation traveling full time where an external drive poses me many problems. Space limitations, and bouncing down the road. It only takes about ten minutes for me to put the internal drive in place. So for a bit more than a double boot up period I can swap drives.

I am no fan of the external enclosures either. I had some problems using them on my Series 3 TiVos. Drives last but the enclosure had problems. One enclosure actually destroyed the drive when it failed.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Owning only pays off if you manage to get some resale value. Otherwise, you're on the hook for repair/replacement and one incident of that can harpoon any savings.

19. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007

I have no idea what you mean by this. When you own a box if it is more than 1 on the account each additional is $6 per month no matter if it is leased or owned. I am not sure what you think you are saving but it is nothing when talking about leased/owned.

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You wont save a dime by owning a box until you sell it. Then whatever you can sell it for above the lease cost would be profit for you. If you never sell it, there is actually a negative profit, as you probably paid more for it than the initial lease fee.

I own my HR24, but lease the HR34. Only reason I own the HR24, is it was the only way I could get one when they first came out, but got it for $50 more than the initial lease fee would have been.