Bottom Line blacked out on ESPN?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by james2006, Oct 14, 2019.

1. james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    Anybody else noticing that the bottom line on ESPN (ch 206) is blacked out? All other ESPN channels are working, and the bottom line appears on streaming. I know ATT was blacking out the bottom line from time to time during the contract dispute, but I thought that was resolved.

2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I saw that yesterday morning too

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    i saw the ticker pop up as soon as Sky Sports' breaking news ticker pop up at the end of Sky Sport broadcast of F1 that is broadcasted in the US by ESPN. the ticker was mentioning team Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 had won the F1 constructors championship for a 6th year in a row as well as the driver championship (unofficially) as team Mercedes AMG Petronas driver Lewis Hamilton has been dominating the F1 season with 9 wins and 5 other top 3 finishes (finished 2nd in 3 races, and 3rd in 2 races). his teammates Valtteri Bottas has won 3 times this year including this weekend's race in Japan. Bottas also had 10 top 3 finishes this year (7 2nd place finishes, 3 3rd place finishes) and Hamilton won the extra point for having the race's fastest lap 5 times including this past weekend's race in Japan and Bottas has won the extra point for fastest lap in 2 races this season. the "Silver Arrows" have dominated F1 the last few years. so Hamilton could clinch the Drivers title before they end the season in Abu Dhabi on December 1, he could clinch it in the Americans leg (US Grand Prix, Mexican Grand Prix and Brazilian Grand Prix).

on the black ticker mistake, i assume it was a snafu on AT&T's.

4. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    DIRECTV/AT&T needs to be taken to court over this if they are the ones blocking out the ESPN Bottom Line. DIRECTV/AT&T should not be allowed to alter the channel presentation in any way, shape, or form from it’s origination.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why? It is up to the contract between the two, if there is nothing in the contract that prevents it there is no one who can "take them to court".

If this was made illegal as you seem to want to do, it would make it illegal for local channels to put a crawl on the screen for weather, breaking news, etc. Pretty sure any lawmaker who tried to propose such a thing would be laughed at.

SamC likes this.
  6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Or promoted to sainthood. There are many complaints about local stations interfering with network content for school closings, weather bulletins, etc. It is one of the complaints against local stations that comes up in threads about distant stations (people wanting to import a station from outside of their market that is not so eager to interrupt content).

That being said, you are correct that what DIRECTV can and cannot do to a "cable channel" feed such as ESPN is up to the private contract between the carrier and content provider. Based on the fact that DIRECTV has blacked out portions of content and they have not been sued for such "tampering" I would say that there is no prohibition in place. And if I were DIRECTV I would not sign a contract that prevented such editing/overlays by DIRECTV.

7. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Altering of a channels presentation is most certainly prohibited and should be violation on the carriers behalf.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Oh I agree, I wish there was a way to "opt out" of weather warnings on TV like I can on my phone, so I don't miss a recording because there's a bit of lightning 100 miles away from me. It is funny that as we've got more ways to get warned - mobile phones, landline calls, sirens, etc. the weather interruptions on TV are much longer than they used to be. They used to break in for a minute or two and then return to programming, now you can have the entire prime time programming on all networks wiped out by weathermen showing their fancy radar, storm chasers driving through the storms, and so on.

9. forecheck

forecheck Legend

Jun 13, 2002
    I wonder if part of the new contract, DirecTv is allowed to insert their own ads over the ticker at certain times of the day and this was a either a test or the ad failed to load?

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Source? Prohibited by whom? Current practice makes it obvious that your statement is not true.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There may have been a problem at ESPN.

AngryManMLS likes this.
  12. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Rob,
    Let's see.
    There was just a huge dispute over carriage fees between the two.
    That seems to have gone away - or kicked down the road.
    So, you really think DirecTV would now do something "prohibited" just to piss them off?

13. Doug07

Doug07 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    The bottom line on ESPN is also gone on Comcast cable here in Virginia. This seems to be a decision by ESPN.

dtv757 and longhorn23 like this.
  14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Maybe they are back to just doing it sometimes or avoiding it during certain programs...

longhorn23 likes this.
  15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I am noticing the right side of the bottom line is blacked out on my recording of High Noon from today on ESPN2. Very strange.

16. Doug07

Doug07 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Blacked out here too on DirecTV but not on Comcast. What DirecTV is blacking out are promos for upcoming ESPN events like college football and boxing. Wonder why they would do that.

17. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I just noticed this on ESPN 2. The Right Side of the Bottom Line is Blacked Out and it is blocking a small portion of the bottom right side of the ESPN Picture. This should be unacceptable.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Is there any hint watching DIRECTV of what "should" be there? A second or two of an image before the black box appears?