1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought HR24-500 on eBay

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rich, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1 of 28
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I found another owned HR24-500 on eBay the other day and bought it. It arrived yesterday. At 5pm I started it up and ended up with 771 errors. Called the PP because my new access card was gonna be invalid Monday and wanted to either get it running or send it back. First thing the PP CSR did was try to resolve the 771 errors. I could tell he was reading from a book about what to do. I stopped and told him I was gonna get the 500 activated and see what happened there. Figured the worse thing that could happen once I activated the card was the HR would have to be replaced. ACT activated my card and I was transferred back to the PP.

This time I got a woman who, to put it as nicely as I can, was rather bitchy. She went thru all the usual stuff and finally came to the conclusion that I needed a Tech and scheduled a visit next Thursday. She told me I'd have to pay for the visit because I bought it on eBay. Told her that wasn't true. She proceeded to argue the point and finally I said, "It's got an activated card in it, I'm already paying for it and I belong to the PP for just this reason." She told me she couldn't find anything that agreed with me or disagreed with me. Then she wanted to do more tests. I declined and ended the conversation.

All this started at 5pm and ended at 8:30pm. I was on the phone from 5:30pm till 8:30 talking to two PP CSRs that had no clue what to do. About 5 minutes of that time was spent getting the card activated by ACT, a department that seems to always know what they're doing.

Went to bed after watching the Yankees lose to Boston and tried to read a book. Couldn't concentrate, kept thinking about the 500. Finally, I decided what I would do in the morning and went to sleep.

This morning, it took me 5 minutes to fix it. All I had to do was wipe the 500 clean and it seems to be working well now. 3 hours on the phone wasted. In a few minutes, I'll be calling Retention to tell them how inadequate their PP has become.

Rich

2. Jun 2, 2013 #2 of 28
    r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    The step you did is not one that normally fixes a 771 issue. And 1 CSR was correct PP does not cover self installed IRD from a party other than DIRECTV until the unit works. Once it work its covered from that point forward. :rolling:

3. Jun 2, 2013 #3 of 28
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The step I took was essential to getting rid of the 771 errors. The guy I had bought it from didn't wipe the HR and the settings were all off. I know what normally fixes 771s, but my other 12 HRs weren't getting them and the 500 looks almost new. I have activated HRs that were never turned on and they all fell under the PP. ACT had no problem activating it on my account. In any event, it's working now and covered. And if I had been charged a fee for a visit, I would have gotten it waived. This is not my first rodeo.

Rich

4. Jun 2, 2013 #4 of 28
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Congrats on not having the ACT dept punt the deal.

For supposedly having all departments working off the same database, computer system, and working for the same company supposedly, we sure see many variations and permutations on situations that just shouldn't be novel, unique, unexpected or unprecedented.

I need to order an AM21 for a client soon, I already know the first 3 people I talk to at D* will claim to never ever having even heard of an AM21.

:eek2:

5. Jun 2, 2013 #5 of 28
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Which sounds like their goal should be not to get it to work when their customer buys from a 3rd party.

6. Jun 2, 2013 #6 of 28
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just order it from your online acct...you never have to involve anyone on the phone....truthfully since so few poeple use them, its not an item I would expect many of the CSR's to have much knowhledge of. Back to Rich, what if it was a bad HR24 that you got from a 3rd party, should D* be covering those even if you have the PP? My instinct is to say no, they shouldnt be covering someone buying broken units, then turn around and get a replacement owned unit to replace it. That is in no way good business sense.

7. Jun 2, 2013 #7 of 28
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I might be able to wheedle a free one if I talk to a real person, just wading thru the system to get there is the trick.

8. Jun 3, 2013 #8 of 28
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Shouldn't it be easy as talking to the Access Card agent and giving the RID number? Is like a CSR roulette but for better informed/incompetent reps in this case:) Wonder how it would be for a owned HR24-200 that I haven't activated yet?

Edit: I see this is about 771 error not about trying to activate, but with that many HR's it shouldn't be a problem trying to fix regardless if its owned.

9. Jun 3, 2013 #9 of 28
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    "other 12" HRs? How big is your family? :eek2:

10. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Either that or he gots a lot of guest rooms;)

11. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Really? Blaming others is not a successful plan of action.

-=K=-

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got nothing but good things to say about the folks at the ACT. Always helpful. Really disappointed in the PP. I've been a big, loud fan of having the PP, but the service has fallen to the level of the first line CSRs. If I didn't have all these owned HRs I wouldn't have the PP. The two CSRs I talked to the other night had no clue. Didn't use to be like that. Sad.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I called Retention yesterday to vent about my experience and I was told that as soon as I activated my new card the new unworking HR was covered under the PP. That's always been my experience.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, but that's the way it's always worked for me. If either of the two PP CSRs I talked to knew what they were doing I wouldn't have written the OP. It's working fine now and I'll be putting in a new EARX 2TB today.

Rich

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I understand where you are coming from but if its owned and the previous owned had the PP plan he would just probably do the same thing. Rich could of fibbed and just said yeah its working great and then call it in, in a day or two. There is something to be said here for his honesty and the fact that he has so many HR's on his account. I would think they would of wanted to help him regardless. Tough call though from DirecTV's point of view.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My point with the CSRs was exactly that. How could 12 other HRs be working without 771s and the new one had them? Told that to both CSRs and it went right over their heads. The poor thing thought it was in western PA, not in NJ.

Rich

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I could not agree more. When I call with an issue with an owned receiver the PP department always tells me the replacement will be leased. They are the PP department. Why do they know know their own rules? Why is it only the Access Card Department is the one of the only departments that has their stuff together?

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I consider it a hobby. There are only 4 of us. But, I have 8 Panny plasmas, so I'd need 8 HRs anyway.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    4 bedrooms, a living room, an apartment for my son and a family room. 8 TVs.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't start this thread to argue. Not gonna do it now.