1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

box stopped showing everything..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bjlc, Nov 19, 2018.

1. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    last night at about 730.. right in the middle of my wife's thrilling Hallmark Christmas movie.. ( the one with the same plot over and over) .. the hr 44 Genie.. just stopped.. the lights were on but nothing was on the screen except the HDMI 1 and no signal.. and I had to hit the red button of death.. and put the Vulcan death grip on the box.. and it all came back.. but is this a sign that this is the beginning of the end of this box..? I have heard of others losing their box before but I have never had true equipment failure.. facts, opinions , true stories of your hr 44.. just no personal ripping please ..let me know if its time to beat this box into submission or to have it jump off the shelf or what should we do? thanks .. btw.. if I do the UPGrade do I get to keep my mini genies or are do they need to be replaced as well? and does it cost to upgrade.. they have asked me to upgrade numerous times.. thank you for all the years of good solid advice..

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Hopefully just a glitch. Wouldn't worry too much unless it keeps happening.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would run Diags on all HR44's components ...

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If I were to make such a suggestion the post would carry the links that explain how to do that. In detail.

Rich

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If this happens again, try unplugging one end of the HDMI cable that is connected to the TV and then plug it back in. If that does not work do this to the other end of the cable.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had a similar problem. One of my 24s went blank just as your 44 did. I could access the Playlist and the 44 would play the content. But no live TV. I did everything I could think of, even hit the Red Button. I never got live TV back. I did put another 24 in its place and that worked correctly. I'm in the process of replacing it.

I've had my 44 for years. Never had such a problem with it as you have had. Might be a random occurance, a glitch. If it happens again I'd get a replacement. I've had HRs since late 2006. Read most of the posts here pertaining to D* equipment. Don't recall ever seeing any mention of this issue and all of a sudden you and I have similar problems. Wonder if this is just the beginning.

Had to laugh at your Hallmark comment. My wife watches that channel almost exclusively. My opinion of the content on that channel would be hurtful to the folks that enjoy those programs...

Rich

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you have any pets who might like to walk behind the tv?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    or rats ?
    or gremlins ? :)