1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxee TV

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by cnmsales, Feb 22, 2009.

1. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    http://www.boxee.tv/

Enjoy, not available for windows yet but will be soon.

2. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    I have been running this on my Mac Mini hooked up to my tv since maybe November? and LOVE it. Highly recommended. The windows version is currently in a closed alpha, but I think you can still put your name on a waiting list to get it.

3. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Yeah I would use this if they could make an extender pluging available via windows media center. Still looking for a viable option for hulu via the xbox. I cant get hulu to work well enough to warrant paying for it. Im sure its because I am running a 1.8ghz pc and that is the bare minimum to use hulu. Ahhh well, one day i will be able to afford a new computer.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    There is a version of Windows in the works...it's in alpha now. You can sign up to be part of the testing.

5. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    It's not meant to be a device that streams to other devices, it's intended as an endpoint device. I don't think it will ever serve content to downstream devices.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Boxee on the Mac, mini or other, is really nice. I've enjoyed it a lot.

But I really wanted it for my Apple TV, and it is available, just not very good on the ATV. It is jittery both in getting internet video/audio content direct, or in attaching to the Playon Media server.

And it is the ATV that is the problem as streams to any other device on my network work smoothly. At this point in time, boxee is a really nice test of concept for the ATV, but not a practical product, imo.

7. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    FYI this is now available for windows. I got to say its pretty darn bad. I wish my PC could use it. I need new hardware. When adding your own media if you have the files names right it will go out and get the cover art for you and everything. Pretty sweet.

8. bertjo44

bertjo44 Mentor

Jan 14, 2009
    Good, another reason to get going on my HTPC build. Thanks for the info.

9. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    I put it on two PCs. One works great the other won't play streaming content. Work in progress.